A view from Big Ben

London Vol

After last week’s match against Kentucky it reminded me that one of the fascinations of American Football was that the margin between success and failure is wafer thin. For instance the aftermath reports could have been so different pending on the result and that result depended on a number of moments where literally inches decided the match.

Josh Palmers incredible top taping for the touchdown
Nigel Warriors step out of bounds on the interception (whilst he may of stepped out of bounds, I didn’t see any irrefutable evidence, but anyway)
3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 at the end.
Middleton’s fingers touching the extra point in the 1st quarter.

Here’s what those match reports may have said:

WIN: Tennessee went on the road and extended their turnaround on the season with a from behind win at Kentucky.

LOSS: After showing signs of a recovery Tennessee slipped back into their old ways by claiming defeat from the jaws of victory

WIN: The team continues to show resolve to fight through adversity with some game winning moments such as, another interception from Warrior, A tipped extra point from Middleton (that point turned out to be vital on Kentucky’s last drive) an amazing toe tapping touchdown from Josh Palmer and finally after what seemed a crucial fumble from Chandler, a heroic goal line stand to save the day.

LOSS: Tennessee returned to being ill disciplined, Two false starts on the first drive, the punter dropped the ball, roughing the passer (whose zip on a throw reminded me of a shot putter) on a 3rd and 14. Even a coach got flagged AFTER the end of the first half and the coup de grace was after seemly winning the game Chandler dropped a hand off.

WIN: A great quarterback switch at half time changed the game on its head. Guarantano continues to go from Zero to Hero with possibly his best ever performance for the Vols

LOSS: Still the quarterback situation is up for grabs, after waiting two weeks for Maurer to return we were only to find out why he is a 3-star Freshman and has a long way to go before the keys are his for this offence.

WIN: Although this was as awful a start to a game I’ve seen from the Vols, the fact the coaching staff made the right adjustments augers well for the future. None better demonstrated on the very last drive, I couldn’t understand why a quarterback with a broken hand was handing off to a running back, surely it was better to use a quarterback with two hands. How wrong I was, as the quarterback end around sealed the win and I like Kentucky never saw it coming. Raise a glass to Chaney.

LOSS: Why ever would you leave a quarterback in a game to hand off to a running back when he has a cast on this left hand.

WIN: There is no doubt there has been a big turnaround for the Vols. This team now looks like it has learnt how to win even when things aren’t going to plan and it looks more like 7-5 instead of 5-7. If that is the case it may be off to the Gator Bowl against Michigan. Hands up who predicted that after the BYU game.

LOSS: After wasting such an opportunity to win at Kentucky the Vols have to pick themselves up again and win the last two games to go bowling and as Missouri have a winning record and the last three years had our number, this will be a mighty steep hill to climb after this stinging loss.

In Pruitt I am now a believer, but the margin of success and failure has been inches.

Go Vols

Last edited:
So true. And I would bet most of us are capable of feeling all of those opposing sentiments simultaneously as we watch each game play out. We're either learning to adapt, overcome and find ways to win -- or we're somehow scraping by despite ourselves in smoke-and-mirrors fashion. Or both. At least we're improving, though. Right?

with what we've been through in the coaching carousel maybe God is throwing us a bone because it's those miracles that kept us in the game to get the win...supernatural stuff...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT MIZZOU!

After last week’s match against Kentucky it reminded me that one of the fascinations of American Football was that the margin between success and failure is wafer thin. For instance the aftermath reports could have been so different pending on the result and that result depended on a number of moments where literally inches decided the match.

LOSS: Still the quarterback situation is up for grabs, after waiting two weeks for Maurer to return we were only to find out why he is a 3-star Freshman and has a long way to go before the keys are his for this offence.

In Pruitt I am now a believer, but the margin of success and failure has been inches.

Go Vols

I thought you wankers used the metric system over there. :) You refer to football games at matches, offense as "offence" but still use the word inches...Wouldnt it be centimeters over there?

with what we've been through in the coaching carousel maybe God is throwing us a bone because it's those miracles that kept us in the game to get the win...supernatural stuff...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT MIZZOU!

Like luck, you make your own miracles....

Anyone saying there wasn't enough evidence to overturn Warriror stepping outta bounds are just being plain homers. It was clear as day

Reactions: Tnslim1
The Brits may be metric, but by golly my hat is off to them for fighting the EU all the way to the win to keep at least one official Imperial Unit based product. Beer SHALL BE and shall remain to be sold in PINTS brother!!!!!

Thanks for the comments Orange Tsar. The EU is just one big mafia/protectionist company structured to benefit the Germans. I love the US how you put your country first, keep independent boys and girls

The Brits may be metric, but by golly my hat is off to them for fighting the EU all the way to the win to keep at least one official Imperial Unit based product. Beer SHALL BE and shall remain to be sold in PINTS brother!!!!!
Liter steins rule!

Liter steins rule!
Thanks for the comments Orange Tsar. The EU is just one big mafia/protectionist company structured to benefit the Germans. I love the US how you put your country first, keep independent boys and girls
LOL! It's always ze Germans.

I thought this thread was going to be a picture of the OP riding on Ben Roethlisberger's shoulders, gazing out at the ocean.

Josh Palmers incredible top taping for the touchdown
Nigel Warriors step out of bounds on the interception (whilst he may of stepped out of bounds, I didn’t see any irrefutable evidence, but anyway)
3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 at the end.
Middleton’s fingers touching the extra point in the 1st quarter.

WIN: Tennessee went on the road and extended their turnaround on the season with a from behind win at Kentucky.

LOSS: After showing signs of a recovery Tennessee slipped back into their old ways by claiming defeat from the jaws of victory

WIN: The team continues to show resolve to fight through adversity with some game winning moments such as, another interception from Warrior, A tipped extra point from Middleton (that point turned out to be vital on Kentucky’s last drive) an amazing toe tapping touchdown from Josh Palmer and finally after what seemed a crucial fumble from Chandler, a heroic goal line stand to save the day.

LOSS: Tennessee returned to being ill disciplined, Two false starts on the first drive, the punter dropped the ball, roughing the passer (whose zip on a throw reminded me of a shot putter) on a 3rd and 14. Even a coach got flagged AFTER the end of the first half and the coup de grace was after seemly winning the game Chandler dropped a hand off.

WIN: A great quarterback switch at half time changed the game on its head. Guarantano continues to go from Zero to Hero with possibly his best ever performance for the Vols

WIN: Although this was as awful a start to a game I’ve seen from the Vols, the fact the coaching staff made the right adjustments augers well for the future. None better demonstrated on the very last drive, I couldn’t understand why a quarterback with a broken hand was handing off to a running back, surely it was better to use a quarterback with two hands. How wrong I was, as the quarterback end around sealed the win and I like Kentucky never saw it coming. Raise a glass to Chaney.

LOSS: Why ever would you leave a quarterback in a game to hand off to a running back when he has a cast on this left hand.

WIN: There is no doubt there has been a big turnaround for the Vols. This team now looks like it has learnt how to win even when things aren’t going to plan and it looks more like 7-5 instead of 5-7. If that is the case it may be off to the Gator Bowl against Michigan. Hands up who predicted that after the BYU game.

LOSS: After wasting such an opportunity to win at Kentucky the Vols have to pick themselves up again and win the last two games to go bowling and as Missouri have a winning record and the last three years had our number, this will be a mighty steep hill to climb after this stinging loss.

Go Vols
#truth

I thought you wankers used the metric system over there. :) You refer to football games at matches, offense as "offence" but still use the word inches...Wouldnt it be centimeters over there?

Nope, we use the British Imperial system of measurement. But we do drive on the correct side of the road. And our weather and food are much better, except their teas, of course. But some of their rugby teams could probably destroy some of our NFL teams...without pads.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back