A View from Big Ben

London Vol

Something strange happened last night, I was listening to the Vol Network hearing how slowly by slowly Tennessee throw away another game when suddenly we drive 91 yards to increase our lead by 10 and then stop them on the next drive. It was not pretty but a "gut check" win and then losses for Florida and Georgia, I thought these days only happened in the 90`s

Quarterbacks I know the stats do not look good for Maurer but the first pick was a jump ball in the back corner for Jennings, probably our best plan in the Red Zone, the cover corner should get credit for the play more than the Quarterback getting the blame. The second pick was worse but remember this was immediately after the hit that sidelined him for the match. Please note both throws were trying to win the game. Gaurantano played not to lose the match but respect to him for having his game head on after such a rough season for him.

Running Backs 40 something runs is unheard off for Tennessee and the total yards was inflated with the Jennings and Maurer runs but they did come good with that 91 yard last drive. A quick 3 and out and we would now be naval gazing at 1-5 and complaining about the conservative play calling

Wide Receivers Somebody buy Tyler Byrd a DVD of this match so he can bore his grandkids for hours. The usual suspects had no chance to shine with the play calling balance

O Line This group is growing up before our very eyes and come next August it will be regarded as the strength of the team. Showed big boys balls with that last drive from the 9. Being greedy I would like to see a few more "Moses and the parting of the sea" moments but somebody probably Kentucky or Vandy will cop a complete game this season.

D Line The big surprise. 7 sacks (I had to look for the no 7 on the keyboard having never used it before) and these were spread out including the back ups which show we do have some depth. Two mentions though 1) often sacks are a result of blanket coverage from the secondary thus the quarterback hesitates 2) with the play calling the D did not tire as quickly yesterday.

Linebackers Everytime I see Taylor do this I can see that he is a star player but it is also frustrating it doesn't happen often enough but hey well done yesterday Darryl. Butuli and To'o To'o helped the D Line stop Hill to under 2 yards a pop. Strangely im not unhappy Henry misses the 1st half next week as he can be fresh for the Georgia slayers (I enjoyed typing that) the week after.

Secondary 3 picks and good coverage to help create 7 sacks, I would have taken that everyday of last week. Special mention for Warrior whom the "light" has come on, keep it going young man and get a good draft grade. Also loved the estatic jumping up and down by Thompson after an interception

Special Teams The Brooks, Doyle and Cimaglia are the best trio in the country.

Going forward There is no doubt the team is improving every week, It is clear Pruitt has not lost the dressing room at all, and the team need now to learn how to win. Next week is damage limitation, run it 1st and 2nd down throw a deep jump ball on 3rd and long, you could get a catch, a drop, pass interference or an interception (that would be the equivalent to a 40 yard punt) this will shorten the game and keep the score down. Then the fun starts South Carolina is a toss up but how good is their 3rd string quarterback? and our O'Line will start to dominate with the run. Mizz was always a worry for me. Kentucky is now winnable and Vandy and UAB are comfortable. 5-7 or 6-6 with development on the O and D Lines should allow a decent recruiting harvest and on to the 2020 season with real hope.

Please feel free to disagree/enlighten me but remember Im 3,000 miles away and sometimes can only listen to the games.

GO VOLS

Last edited:
I thought the first pick was worse than the second by far. On the first pick he was baited by the d to throw into double coverage. The flat was wide open if he makes the correct read.

He made the correct read on the second int but under threw the ball (falling away from pressure) and the receiver didn't do him any favors.

Enjoy your write up. I’ve seen some of previous posts and enjoy your opinions.

I thought the first pick was worse than the second by far. On the first pick he was baited by the d to throw into double coverage. The flat was wide open if he makes the correct read.

He made the correct read on the second int but under threw the ball (falling away from pressure) and the receiver didn't do him any favors.

Also think he was a little dazed.

Reactions: 37620VOL
Enjoy your write up. I’ve seen some of previous posts and enjoy your opinions.

Thank you for your kind words.

Do spare me a thought next Saturday though, the match starts at 2am Sunday in England so its off to bed depressed about 6am and theres no way Im missing it. Lucky my mate is a very good divorce lawyer.

Hopefully the game is slowing down for #18. He should figure out the dB played him’ ins of #18 playing the dB

Without a doubt it was. Threw into DC , terrible decision

You lost me at "is growing up before our very eyes". Sorry I just really hate that phrase. No I dont have anything to contribute.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
If JJ wasn’t in mid stride and unable to elevate we would be talking about perfectly placed that ball was.

If by perfectly placed you actually mean poorly read and thrown to the wrong receiver, then sure.

If by perfectly placed you actually mean poorly read and thrown to the wrong receiver, then sure.
It was a bad decision. I’m not denying that BUT it was perfectly placed for JJ to make a play. It was too high for the front corner to interfere and right where Jennings would have been if he were able to elevate and high point the ball. The fact that JJ was mid stride and unable to do what he does was coincidental.

Reactions: 37620VOL
I am seeing improved play and effort it was good day for DL and OL …….. Vols not there yet but getting better we all want that...……………….

Idk about best special teams in the country. Kick offs and fields goals are good though I feel like our punter has regressed.

Thank you for your kind words.

Do spare me a thought next Saturday though, the match starts at 2am Sunday in England so its off to bed depressed about 6am and theres no way Im missing it. Lucky my mate is a very good divorce lawyer.
Ah, the old streaming internet radio broadcasts. I remember those days well, as I lived in London from ‘97 to ‘00. Spent many a wee hour in the morning listening to Peyton’s last year on Rocky Top, the National Championship season and the 99 season, as all three of those years had a lot of prime time night games (which equated to a number of 1 or 2AM London time starts). Fortunately my wife and I didn’t have to listen to too many disappointing games during those years.

Ah, the old streaming internet radio broadcasts. I remember those days well, as I lived in London from ‘97 to ‘00. Spent many a wee hour in the morning listening to Peyton’s last year on Rocky Top, the National Championship season and the 99 season, as all three of those years had a lot of prime time night games (which equated to a number of 1 or 2AM London time starts). Fortunately my wife and I didn’t have to listen to too many disappointing games during those years.

Regarding adverts on the Vol Network, I certainly know where to go if I need "termite protection" (whatever a termite is?)

Reactions: russahouse
Something strange happened last night, I was listening to the Vol Network hearing how slowly by slowly Tennessee throw away another game when suddenly we drive 91 yards to increase our lead by 10 and then stop them on the next drive. It was not pretty but a "gut check" win and then losses for Florida and Georgia, I thought these days only happened in the 90`s

Quarterbacks I know the stats do not look good for Maurer but the first pick was a jump ball in the back corner for Jennings, probably our best plan in the Red Zone, the cover corner should get credit for the play more than the Quarterback getting the blame. The second pick was worse but remember this was immediately after the hit that sidelined him for the match. Please note both throws were trying to win the game. Gaurantano played not to lose the match but respect to him for having his game head on after such a rough season for him.

Running Backs 40 something runs is unheard off for Tennessee and the total yards was inflated with the Jennings and Maurer runs but they did come good with that 91 yard last drive. A quick 3 and out and we would now be naval gazing at 1-5 and complaining about the conservative play calling

Wide Receivers Somebody buy Tyler Byrd a DVD of this match so he can bore his grandkids for hours. The usual suspects had no chance to shine with the play calling balance

O Line This group is growing up before our very eyes and come next August it will be regarded as the strength of the team. Showed big boys balls with that last drive from the 9. Being greedy I would like to see a few more "Moses and the parting of the sea" moments but somebody probably Kentucky or Vandy will cop a complete game this season.

D Line The big surprise. 7 sacks (I had to look for the no 7 on the keyboard having never used it before) and these were spread out including the back ups which show we do have some depth. Two mentions though 1) often sacks are a result of blanket coverage from the secondary thus the quarterback hesitates 2) with the play calling the D did not tire as quickly yesterday.

Linebackers Everytime I see Taylor do this I can see that he is a star player but it is also frustrating it doesn't happen often enough but hey well done yesterday Darryl. Butuli and To'o To'o helped the D Line stop Hill to under 2 yards a pop. Strangely im not unhappy Henry misses the 1st half next week as he can be fresh for the Georgia slayers (I enjoyed typing that) the week after.

Secondary 3 picks and good coverage to help create 7 sacks, I would have taken that everyday of last week. Special mention for Warrior whom the "light" has come on, keep it going young man and get a good draft grade. Also loved the estatic jumping up and down by Thompson after an interception

Special Teams The Brooks, Doyle and Cimaglia are the best trio in the country.

Going forward There is no doubt the team is improving every week, It is clear Pruitt has not lost the dressing room at all, and the team need now to learn how to win. Next week is damage limitation, run it 1st and 2nd down throw a deep jump ball on 3rd and long, you could get a catch, a drop, pass interference or an interception (that would be the equivalent to a 40 yard punt) this will shorten the game and keep the score down. Then the fun starts South Carolina is a toss up but how good is their 3rd string quarterback? and our O'Line will start to dominate with the run. Mizz was always a worry for me. Kentucky is now winnable and Vandy and UAB are comfortable. 5-7 or 6-6 with development on the O and D Lines should allow a decent recruiting harvest and on to the 2020 season with real hope.

Please feel free to disagree/enlighten me but remember Im 3,000 miles away and sometimes can only listen to the games.

GO VOLS
Good post... take a free ride on the Big Eye on us.

Reactions: London Vol

VN Store

Back