A View from Big Ben: My first Baseball season

London Vol

As I can now access SEC Network in England I have followed the Baseball team this season for the first time and boy did I choose the right year to do so. So, I wish to take this opportunity to try to ignore the bitter taste of yesterday and thank Tony Vitello and his merry men for a hugely enjoyable spring distraction

Please find below a number of observations of the season however remember I’m a “first timer” so please correct me or enlighten me if I’m wrong.

HISTORIC – Batting

I believe I heard that the record number of home runs for Tennessee was about 95, this year we were getting close to doubling it, in any sport you just don’t do that very often. We had 10 players hitting 10 runs or more including Blake Burke and Christian Moore who were not even starters (wait for next season!!). Luc Lipcius is now holding the all-time home run record and Evan Russell is joint No 2 with a legend. We were number 1 nationally in stolen bases and we actually had more home runs than strike outs. Unheard of.

HISTORIC – Pitching

The three weekend starters (take note they are all back next year !!) had an ERA of under 3. Also we had Blade Tidwell who is a consensus 1st round pick. Finally, the midweek starter Zander Sechrist was none too shabby either. Redmond Walsh now holds the all time record for saves and the best moustache since Hercule Poirot was lights out with an ERA under 2. Finally, 105 mph is unknown territory for any pitcher in the history of College Baseball. Unique.

OTHER POINTS

Record sellouts of Lindsey Nelson Stadium as Vol Nation shows again, we are unparalleled in our passion for our team.
Swagger I know it probably went over the top on Saturday but wasn’t it just peachy to see our boys looking the opponents in the eye and saying “we’ve got your number”
Football Recruiting Don’t underestimate how much this has helped Josh Heupel with his elite list of visitors.
Evan Russell, I hope your reading this young man, do not take elimination to heart but realise how many records you have broken whilst wearing Orange so go forward on whichever road you take and good luck .

I always enjoy your comments and observations

GO VOLS

Good write up London.
Like you, I'm a casual fan of baseball and have always looked at it as something to distract me from the football dead-time of Spring.
However, this season seems to have kindled a flame of sorts inside and I'm honestly looking forward to next year !!!

VN Store

Back