A View from Big Ben: Georgia

The difference last night was not in the ‘historical’ UGA defense, but in [both] offenses. Coming in allowing only 230 yards per game, Tennessee was able to put up 387 yards with several deep ball overthrows and a roster depleted running corp.

But offensively, Georgia had their best performance of the season and Tennessee did not. Even though UTs defensive play didnt quit, and it was nice to see several punts forced, we still were gashed a few times for big chunks. The score from the pass to Cook was a killer and UT was not containing Bennett (who rushed for 40 yards on 8 carries vs our Hooker who only had 7 yards on 17).

i agree with your observations. Will add that I think Kirby is a *** keeping his starters in up 41-10 late in the game. Classless, not from a run up the score stance, but from a let your freshman have some time. I’ll always agree its the other teams job to keep you from scoring, but Kirby showed his cards and I would delight in Bama whipping his tail in the SECCG and then watching them go down in the first round of the playoffs. Their fanbase is insufferable.

Also, there has got to be a rule change on the fake injuries. Kirby was as wise as Kiffen and used the ‘free timeout’ system of faking an injury to stop the momentum. I think players should have to sit out the series for injury.

Go Vols!
I and others have been saying this for most of the season. Even if it was not a "flop" it would be to a players health advantage to have him "cool it" for what ever the number of plays were left in the series. If it was a flop then his loss to his team may make a difference in the success of that series.
As to Kirby leaving in his first line players:
I think it is his fear of not showing complete dominance over us. I think he feared what the "committee" and the general public would think if he let a "weak sister" (what both would think about us) give him a "close" game. I look at this just as the Baylor coach stated about his going for the late field goal. (that what's his name cried about). It's the way the game is viewed and in Baylor's case a conference tie breaker.

Right, the character thing to do would be to in backups so Tennessee could score. You know, like a Pop Warner game. Everyone has played hard and we don't want anyone going away feeling bad. If nothing else is would have made you feel better.
enjoy it while you can, I remember when the GA fans were leaving(dog drunk) by the 3rd quarter every year, the pendulum swings both ways

Reactions: FlVols
The difference last night was not in the ‘historical’ UGA defense, but in [both] offenses. Coming in allowing only 230 yards per game, Tennessee was able to put up 387 yards with several deep ball overthrows and a roster depleted running corp.

But offensively, Georgia had their best performance of the season and Tennessee did not. Even though UTs defensive play didnt quit, and it was nice to see several punts forced, we still were gashed a few times for big chunks. The score from the pass to Cook was a killer and UT was not containing Bennett (who rushed for 40 yards on 8 carries vs our Hooker who only had 7 yards on 17).

i agree with your observations. Will add that I think Kirby is a *** keeping his starters in up 41-10 late in the game. Classless, not from a run up the score stance, but from a let your freshman have some time. I’ll always agree its the other teams job to keep you from scoring, but Kirby showed his cards and I would delight in Bama whipping his tail in the SECCG and then watching them go down in the first round of the playoffs. Their fanbase is insufferable.

Also, there has got to be a rule change on the fake injuries. Kirby was as wise as Kiffen and used the ‘free timeout’ system of faking an injury to stop the momentum. I think players should have to sit out the series for injury.

Go Vols!
I can’t stand Kirby either. Probably more so than Saban which says A LOT but I want to see Georgia beat Bama. I do not want to see 2 SEC teams in the playoffs and Bama missing out would be fantastic to see.

Reactions: FlVols
I don't care how good the offense is. When you're up by 31 with 7 mins to go, you don't have All-american DTs still in the game.

Two things:
The only thing Hooker did poorly was hold onto the ball too long too often, as has been said previously. Otherwise, he played the best game of the season against this defense.
The other is, I do not hold a grudge against Kirby for leaving his starters in at the end of the game. If our defense had a scoring record on the line and the coach took out the starters at the end of the game, and the third string blew the record, this forum would be cussing our coach out for being an idiot. So I feel it is hypocritical to complain about UGA leaving the defensive starters in at the end of the 4th quarter.

Posted before and after the game. I've done no gloating. Pushing back on the narrative that Kirby Smart has bad character because he didn't let TN score. You know nothing about me or him.
I have no problem with him playing whoever he feels necessary. With the recruiting Ga has done, especially since Smart took over he should be able to platoon like Saban. I think once a win is secured it is risky to keep vital players in risking injury for stats if that was the case. I thought it was a great football atmosphere
. Ga being this good should come as no surprise, TN being as competitive this year is. Point being made in that regard is TN going for TD's instead of kicking FG's for style points. Good luck in Atl.

Yea, our last score we had a number of our 2nd team in the game scoring against their starters on defense. Glad his play for statistics did not work out for him.

Reactions: TN1111
How many people know of this obscure record? thought not. If it is a choice between win the National Championship or break this record then I know which one I want, lads sit!!.

A quote from the legendary Tennis player Jimmy Connors “I hate losing more than I like winning”

Firstly, I must say any loss stings. Josh Heupel clearly doesn’t subscribe to moral victories as he turned down a number of field goals to try to keep the score closer, he showed again he is only committed to win. This policy resulted in a bigger loss than we deserved and the same happened against Alabama. I salute you Coach Heupel for installing the attitude than no stone should be left unturned in the pursuit of victory. Jimmy Connors was partially right but closing the gap from losing to winning is also important. Please don’t forget the job CJH inherited was like climbing Thunderhead Mountain in your shorts and flip-flops.

Before we drill down into “the weeds” of last night’s performance I wish to highlight one point, The match result was in no doubt to me after the 3rd quarter field goal leaving us three scores behind, yet Smart left Davis and Wyatt (their two Defensive Tackles and their most important players re their national championship aspirations) in the game right to the very end. After years of watching our elite opponents “clearing the bench” in the third quarter, we clearly now have respect and that we cannot be treated lightly any longer. That to me is a true measure of have far we have come already.

QUARTERBACKS
It is important not to go overboard about last night’s performance because Hooker’s development has been sensational this season and we were against the best defense this century (according to some). That said I still rated this as his worst performance of the season. The ball sailed on him a number times, he overthrew three touchdown certainties and his decision making regarding handing off to the RB was also suspect. Oh, and the bad Interception was a back breaker as it was at the time I felt we really had Georgia worried. Despite that his figures were not so bad and when we talk about bad nights for Tennessee Quarterbacks Worley, Peterman, Dormady and Guarantano had far worse days. By accident we may have just caught a break here as if he had delivered a Kentucky like performance last night, not only would his Heisman chatter would have taken off but so would his draft ranking (already as 8th Quarterback according to McShay). He must seriously consider one more year, this would include the extra bowl practices followed by Spring and Fall camp to hone his skills, look what that did for Burrow and Pickett. The Vols will be even stronger next season with a year 2 Hooker. Finally, the original prom dance tease reappeared with an impressive cameo from Milton, he must be driving Heupel crazy, but it was impressive

RUNNING BACKS
I thought Small put up an admiral performance against the aforementioned historic Georgia defense, he may not see a defensive line like that the rest of his college career. With Hooker losing 51 yards the box score could have looked even better. We will be fine next season with Evans, Small and Wright.

WIDE RECEIVERS
The stars of the team for me last night. When you mention Cedric Tillman, I see the number 2. He was a 2* recruit, who posted 200 receiving yards against possibly the national champions, astounding. Don’t forget he also posted 152 yards against the No 2 team Alabama. 8 catches for Jones and 5 for Hyatt and Keyton (I truly forgot about him) and all this from an under-par performance from Hooker. This offensive system in LEGIT.

TIGHT ENDS
I did see some good blocking from Fant, however, Warren tripped when his number was called in the red zone. We still can’t quite get the output right from this department

OFFENSIVE LINE
Everything is relative and I though the Offensive Line “held their own”. Early on I thought they gave Hooker a lot of time to throw, far more than I expected, although as the pressure was ratcheted up, they did get overpowered a few times. There were very few running lanes but then who has created them against Georgia this season.

DEFENSIVE LINE
Much maligned last week I thought the D Line did well last night. There were more than a few 3 and outs especially early on when Butler and Thomas were getting penetration. Not the first time this season, they did wear down as the game went on, but that is more down to the lack of roster depth and our hurry up offense than their effort. I will make my weekly mention of Young, shame about the horse collar otherwise it would have been another couple of sacks. I can’t wait to see him becoming “Barnettesq” next season.

LINEBACKERS
Total effort as always but the lack of Mitchell and the dearly lamented Bituli is obvious. The number of runs up the middle and missed tackles is clear. But again, all you can ask of a player is that he gives his all and both Banks and Beasley do that. So, it is what it is.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Taylor was the standout at the back, however I thought the safeties missed a number of tackles, I was hoping that they would have developed more this season (similar to Warrior). But, again no compliant here about effort.

Yes Jimmy, I don’t like losing as well but would I swap last night with Dan Mullen (the guy that Florida “stole” off us)?. NO

I always enjoy your comments and observations

GO VOLS
Great post, LV. Always enjoy the input.
Looking for a rule change as well on hurt players. Slippery slope but probably worth the gamble to make it a series out if you go down. Very frustrated with CBS and damn pointing out the couple of times when a player was injured during the series and letting TV viewers know that the Vol fans were wrong to be booing. Oddly, they showed nothing when the phantom injuries happened.
That said, we lost the game because Georgia is a better team. Those ILBs are lightning quick. Remarkable players. Add to that, our offense needed to be perfect and we missed a handful of plays by inches and our QB got a little erratic. Not sure I wouldn’t with those machines coming my way. Need them on our team.

Again, great post!!

I have no problem with him playing whoever he feels necessary. With the recruiting Ga has done, especially since Smart took over he should be able to platoon like Saban. I think once a win is secured it is risky to keep vital players in risking injury for stats if that was the case. I thought it was a great football atmosphere
. Ga being this good should come as no surprise, TN being as competitive this year is. Point being made in that regard is TN going for TD's instead of kicking FG's for style points. Good luck in Atl.
As a UGA fan I don't understand why Kirby keeps starters in as long as he often does. I'd like to see Carson Beck get in to run the offense. I agree to your point about the risks of injury. I just don't get why some Vol fans who are upset about it. As if an opposing coach should coach in a way to help their team.

I don't care how good the offense is. When you're up by 31 with 7 mins to go, you don't have All-american DTs still in the game.
Would it really have made you feel better to see UGA's second and third teamers dominating the Tennessee offense?

Go Vols!
Great post, LV. Always enjoy the input.
Looking for a rule change as well on hurt players. Slippery slope but probably worth the gamble to make it a series out if you go down. Very frustrated with CBS and damn pointing out the couple of times when a player was injured during the series and letting TV viewers know that the Vol fans were wrong to be booing. Oddly, they showed nothing when the phantom injuries happened.
That said, we lost the game because Georgia is a better team. Those ILBs are lightning quick. Remarkable players. Add to that, our offense needed to be perfect and we missed a handful of plays by inches and our QB got a little erratic. Not sure I wouldn’t with those machines coming my way. Need them on our team.

Again, great post!!

Thank you

Reactions: casual-observer
Would it really have made you feel better to see UGA's second and third teamers dominating the Tennessee offense?

Not really as it was what we have as a 2nd team offense scoring against your starters that were in the game.

Tennessee desperately needs a big back (215 LBs+) with some ability to drive for extra yardage when needed(doesn’t everybody?)

Thanks to the OP for the analysis. A great read every game. Was there as well. Surprised not more has been said about UGA’s QB play. The guy killed us. Hit passes all night long. Kept them in good plays. Escaped at least 3 sacks by miraculously “throwing” the ball away. Scored a TD on a busted play, and ran almost at will for first downs. Can’t understand why any GA fan would want JT in the game.

Posted before and after the game. I've done no gloating. Pushing back on the narrative that Kirby Smart has bad character because he didn't let TN score. You know nothing about me or him.
If you come on a rival fan site and defend your coaches actions in a decisive victory, that is the definition of gloating. You paint it any color you like but your motives are clear. Rah Rah Kirby Smart can be accessed on a UGA board….not here

Reactions: volinvegas
I agree 100 percent. I call it the "Floppy Dawg Syndrome". How many flops did we see? I think I counted at least 5. Why not take advantage of the hole in the rule books? They need to look at this and change the rule on injuries.
Agree on making a rule to address this. How many times did a player "flop" and come back in within the same series? Anyone know?

I hate lo
Right, the character thing to do would be to in backups so Tennessee could score. You know, like a Pop Warner game. Everyone has played hard and we don't want anyone going away feeling bad. If nothing else is would have made you feel better.
I hate losing but om calling BS on this one. Had the table been turned i would have stepped on their neck and wouldn't urinate in their mouth to save them from dying of thirst. Put the backups in 2 mins left in the 4th, up by about 5 TDs, hate Buma,Gators,and jawjuh that much or your not a real TENNESSEE fan.

VN Store

Back