A VFL Needs Your Thoughts and Prayers

GAVol

Overrated
Staff member
I know this is not the kind of thread that will be popular, but this is a personal friend of mine in a tough situation. Dick Williams, Captain of the 68 SEC Champs, is stuck in a hospital in Charleston due to a sudden illness. Glad to see Marvin West bring attention to it.

Say a prayer for the captain - Knox TN Today

Reactions: 21 people
Send him the best wishes from the Vol Nation. (I think this is him)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 8.07.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 8.07.46 PM.png
    365.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: 2 people
I know this is not the kind of thread that will go anywhere, but this is a personal friend of mine in a tough situation. Dick Williams, Captain of the 68 SEC Champs, is stuck in a hospital in Charleston due to a sudden illness. Glad to see Marvin West bring attention to it.

I went to high school with Dick, and my brother was in the same graduating class with him in 1965. Dick played both ways at end at GHS, and was also a very good punter.

When I went to U.T. in Fall 1967, I visited him and his roommate in Gibbs. If my memory serves, Neal McMeans was his roomie....not positive of that. It's been 50 years. Anyway, praying for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: 8 people
Oh Lord, we have a friend here who is in need of your healing power. Lord we do not always understand Your ways, but we know you are always a comfort and a blessing to your children and we ask for your care at this time.
Amen

Reactions: 8 people
I went to high school with Dick, and my brother was in the same graduating class with him in 1965. Dick played both ways at end at GHS, and was also a very good punter.

When I went to U.T. in Fall 1967, I visited him and his roommate in Gibbs. If my memory serves, Neal McMeans was his roomie....not positive of that. It's been 50 years. Anyway, praying for a speedy recovery.

I think I know Neal's brother thru work. His name is Mike and I've heard him talk about a brother that played for UT..

Many, many prayers to Dick and his family..

I know this is not the kind of thread that will go anywhere, but this is a personal friend of mine in a tough situation. Dick Williams, Captain of the 68 SEC Champs, is stuck in a hospital in Charleston due to a sudden illness. Glad to see Marvin West bring attention to it.

Prayer and petition made on his behalf.

Phil 4:6 ; 1 Thess 5:25 ; 1 Timothy 2:1.

I think I know Neal's brother thru work. His name is Mike and I've heard him talk about a brother that played for UT..

Many, many prayers to Dick and his family..
McMeans was a very good defensive end on the defensive line with Williams. I believe that Vic Dingus from Kingsport was the other defensive end.

Dick played both ways at end at GHS, and was also a very good punter.

Kind of funny you mention that. He played DE in the SEC, won a conference title, a contested national title, a Cotton Bowl.... but I think he's more proud about hitting a 63 yard punt in an Orange and White game. I've heard that story about 50 times.

Kind of funny you mention that. He played DE in the SEC, won a conference title, a contested national title, a Cotton Bowl.... but I think he's more proud about hitting a 63 yard punt in an Orange and White game. I've heard that story about 50 times.
He played DT as I remember it. I think that McMeans and Dingus were the ends. But, he was a very good punter in high school , and I think he was center on the BB team. He was 6'4" and only weighed about 205 when he played for U.T. He was a good athlete.

Edit: I meant to add that Dick's punting career probably ended because U.T. had Ron Widby, and later Herman Weaver. Pretty tough competition , especially when you had to battle offensive lineman for several plays before you punted.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back