A thread about BIG, FAKE Titles

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
Now that I got your attention, this thread is about some of the (dubious) claimed national titles for SEC schools. Were there some of our titles that we didn't deserve. Were there a couple of years where we deserved to be declared national champs?

We know Bama has more than a handful of BIG FAKE titles. Are there other SEC schools that have them? What are some of the most illegitimate ones?

Yes, this is 100% an offseason thread.

Reactions: BUBear
Now that I got your attention, this thread is about some of the (dubious) claimed national titles for SEC schools. Were there some of our titles that we didn't deserve. Were there a couple of years where we deserved to be declared national champs?

We know Bama has more than a handful of BIG FAKE titles. Are there other SEC schools that have them? What are some of the most illegitimate ones?

Yes, this is 100% an offseason thread.

Bama's 1941 is the worst of the bunch.

UT's '40 and '67 are really bad.

Arkansas' '64 wasn't wire service.

None of Ole Miss' 3 were wire service and only '60 was consensus.

UGA kinda claims '68, which is really bad.

There was a notable bias in certain seasons.

Until Ingram won the Heisman, UT had the most wins in the 75 years preceding that year and Bama was Bama and they had 0 combined Heisman winners. I'm sure that bias carried over to the polls...

Even smart ass yankees cannot deny SEC dominance any longer.
However, Ohio State is loaded this year and my pick to win it all.

Until Ingram won the Heisman, UT had the most wins in the 75 years preceding that year and Bama was Bama and they had 0 combined Heisman winners. I'm sure that bias carried over to the polls...

Maybe in the 60s. I think anti-Southern bias disappeared pretty quickly after the sport was fully integrated.

I don't agree with that. Southern teams have claimed 35 of the last 50 national titles. The BCS era thru the present has been all Southern teams with a couple of appearances by tOSU and USC.
Yeah, pretty amazing when you think about it.

In terms of consistently good teams or teams that have won titles, it's been southeastern teams plus Ohio St for about 15 years now. Depending on whether or you consider Texas to be the "southeast," the last team outside of that category to win a national title was either Texas in 2005 or USC in 2004. "The midwest" hasn't won a title since 2000 (Oklahoma) and the upper midwest, excluding Ohio St, hasn't won one since 1997 (Michigan/Nebraska).

Yeah, pretty amazing when you think about it.

In terms of consistently good teams or teams that have won titles, it's been southeastern teams plus Ohio St for about 15 years now. Depending on whether or you consider Texas to be the "southeast," the last team outside of that category to win a national title was either Texas in 2005 or USC in 2004. "The midwest" hasn't won a title since 2000 (Oklahoma) and the upper midwest, excluding Ohio St, hasn't won one since 1997 (Michigan/Nebraska).

Texas is so big that I think parts of it can be considered Southeast and Southwest.

Texas is so big that I think parts of it can be considered Southeast and Southwest.
Definitely - I think you could even consider Oklahoma, at least eastern Oklahoma, to be part of the southeast. I've been there many times and culturally it feels just like the southeast. As do the parts of Texas that I've been to.

UF could claim to the 1984 national title, thanks to the failing New York Times, but we don’t.

Regarding UGA’s 1942 national title, I don’t think they officially recognized it at their stadium until recently.

Also, didn’t Kentucky go out and make a trophy to go along with a 1950 era national title they only recently claimed? Asking for a friend.

UF could claim to the 1984 national title, thanks to the failing New York Times, but we don’t.

Regarding UGA’s 1942 national title, I don’t think they officially recognized it at their stadium until recently.

Also, didn’t Kentucky go out and make a trophy to go along with a 1950 era national title they only recently claimed? Asking for a friend.
Speaking of big, fake titles, why isn't BYU's 1984 national title more controversial?

BYU defeated one ranked team all year at the time the game was played. They beat #3 Pitt in the season opener, and Pitt went on to finish 3-7-1 that year. In fact, not a single team they beat that year finished the season ranked, including Michigan who they beat in the Holiday Bowl and finished a very mediocre 6-6. There's no way in hell that BYU team would have been in the CFP today, nor should they have been.

Not an Auburn fan at all but USC’s 2004 stripped title needs to be awarded to the war eagle guys. This doesn’t exactly apply to this thread but oh well. I still struggle to this day trying to figure out why BYU has the 1984 natty.

Speaking of big, fake titles, why isn't BYU's 1984 national title more controversial?

BYU defeated one ranked team all year at the time the game was played. They beat #3 Pitt in the season opener, and Pitt went on to finish 3-7-1 that year. In fact, not a single team they beat that year finished the season ranked, including Michigan who they beat in the Holiday Bowl and finished a very mediocre 6-6. There's no way in hell that BYU team would have been in the CFP today, nor should they have been.

1984 was a strange year.

UF was 9-1-1 and on probation, with an embarrassing tie against Rutgers.

Washington was the only other team with one loss at 11-1. Everyone else had at least two losses.

BYU was the only undefeated team left standing.

Not an Auburn fan at all but USC’s 2004 stripped title needs to be awarded to the war eagle guys. This doesn’t exactly apply to this thread but oh well. I still struggle to this day trying to figure out why BYU has the 1984 natty.

VN Store

Back