A Positive UT Story...

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
I know we're all down in the dumps about the start of the season but this is a great VFL story.

For the last 7-8 years when I would go to a UT game I will sit with my best bud from Knoxville. Even though I only go to 1-2 games per year (living in FL) you get to know the people sitting around you. Since 2013, or so, there has been this Father and son sitting behind us. These are the nicest folks in the world... Just a Father & son going to Vols games. With all the talk of losing a generation of Vol fans, here was one that survived.

When I got to the game on Sat., only the Dad was there. I knew the kid was a soccer player and was a kicker on the HS FB team but I had no idea of his ability. What a great surprise when I asked the Dad where Luke was and he pointed to the field! He's on UT's team as a walk-on place kicker and dressed out Sat. vs. BYU.

So, yes, we're all upset about the start of the season but there are some great stories out there. #31 could be on scholarship at many schools but the words he used to turn them down was, "I bleed Orange & White!"

Last edited:
I know we're all down in the dumps about the start of the season but this is a great VFL story.

For the last 7-8 years when I would go to a UT game I would sit with my best bud from Knoxville. Even though I only go to 1-2 games per year (living in FL) you get to know the people sitting around you. Since 2013, or so, there has been this Father and son sitting behind us. These are the nicest folks in the world... Just a Father & son going to Vols games. With all the talk of losing a generation of Vol fans, here was one that survived.

When I got to the game on Sat., only the Dad was there. I knew the kid was a soccer player and was a kicker on the HS FB team but I had no idea of his ability. What a great surprise when I asked the Dad where Luke was and he pointed to the field! He's on UT's team as a walk-on place kicker and dressed out Sat. vs. BYU.

So, yes, we're all upset about the start of the season but there are some great stories out there. #31 could be on scholarship at many schools but the words he used to turn them down was, "I bleed Orange & White!"
Rudy...Rudy.....Rudy.......

Amazing story. I am going to look for #31 on the field and sideline and give him a big cheer !!

He'll probably dress vs. UT but not sure about SEC game. There are different rules for Conf. game and the # that dress out. He's a great kid and is an excellent kicker.

That’s awesome. He is probably a great athlete. I remember when I was a student at UT and playing intramural flag football, a guy came out and played with us for one game. He was exceptional. The best player on the field. He could do everything, throw, catch, run faster than everyone out there. Our playbook for that game was get the ball to him. We won big. He was a third string player for UT. The only time he saw the field was on punts. I’ll never forget how effortlessly good he was.

Reactions: savannahfan

For the last 7-8 years when I would go to a UT game I will sit with my best bud from Knoxville. Even though I only go to 1-2 games per year (living in FL) you get to know the people sitting around you. Since 2013, or so, there has been this Father and son sitting behind us. These are the nicest folks in the world... Just a Father & son going to Vols games. With all the talk of losing a generation of Vol fans, here was one that survived.

Awesome story! I’m not crying, just got something in my eyes.

VN Store

Back