A message from Pruitt tonight to Tennessee fans and others

And you guys wonder why the media, ESPN, etc takes a good cheap shot every chance they get. Look at the wealth of grown men we have on this forum stamping their feet and flopping on the floor because they didn’t get the flavor of Capri sun they wanted. Some of you guys shouldn’t be allowed to access the internet so that you don’t make the sane ones here look like a bunch of idiots as well.

I’ll mention it for the 1 millionth time. Worst season in history followed by the biggest national clown of a coaching search ever seen. Along with our AD being fired during the search while he tried to hire a individual possibly tied to a child rape scandal.

You guys expected what? Get real or go root for Georgia. How bout we see how the play on the field looks come September?

Reactions: 2 people
I'll just go ahead and let them be known now. I think our AD overestimated CJP's importance in bringing talent to FSU and Bama. it was stupid to think we were going to peel anything away from Saban that he coudn't afford to lose. We got jobbed.

Idiotic. You can be disappointed in this class, but it’s quite naive to put the blame on Pruitt and his staff. We were jobbed by Haslam/Currie/Davenport and the brick by brick dude. You won’t get instant gratification in recruiting until the scars of the last season have healed.

Reactions: 1 person
“Probably the best PR we got is winning football games in the fall,” Pruitt said. “I can come here and these folks can like me. We can talk and all that. Come this fall or next fall, it doesn’t matter how much time I spend here. So, I should probably spend most of my time on things that’ll help us win football games.”
Tennessee

Reactions: 3 people
He was too busy ensuring Bama got its NC.

Not many trophy fish left in the pond after the Early Signing Period which was 12/20-22/2017.

Pruitt’s hire date was 12/7/2017 or 12 full days before the first NLI’s could be signed.

With roughly 70-75% of the 4-5 star talent spoken for with prior commits with the new ESD, the task to get flips of his style of players from other programs that had more stable years was daunting at best, virtually impossible at worst.

Ccombine the facts above with a quiet period, and we did ok, and certainly not what we hoped for.

Now it’s on CJP to coach them up.

Rankings don't mean that much to us, but we'll have the number 1 ranked class next year. So which is it does it matter or not? Bama grad logic I suppose.

Last edited:
You do it. You hold him accountable, and we’ll you accountable to hold him accountable.

:lolabove:
Dude must not have seen all the arm chair experts that stink up VN. Pruitt will get skewered for anything less than a 1 or 2 ranked class in 2019.

CJP is a 180 out from jones-what a relief!!! I think we have gotten a Football coach, first time in at least five years!

Even longer in my opinion. Every coach since Fulmer has been based off of gimmick. Kiffin was the big mouth young gun, Dooley was the bumbling history buff and Jones was the guy who could recruit but not coach and had a scrapbook of cliché phrases.

Pruitt is straight forward. He understands winning is expected at Tennessee and he understands that its win or be shown the door. I think he will do well for what its worth.

Well, glad he cleared that up.

Should everyone go ahead and book rooms in Atlanta in 2019?

Seriously, WTH else was he going to say?

I'll give him credit for not being a sanctimonious prick like Jones though.

Probably save money by buying a condo near the stadium since we’ll be in the 404 for the first week of December every year...

:rock:

The QUESTION is... Who is going to hold him accountable for his statements???

Not many on THIS board. If PruVitt doesn't reel in a Top 5 class next year, what's the excuse going to be?

Well, if it's only top ten you can maybe go to ANOTHER board.

Idiotic. You can be disappointed in this class, but it’s quite naive to put the blame on Pruitt and his staff. We were jobbed by Haslam/Currie/Davenport and the brick by brick dude. You won’t get instant gratification in recruiting until the scars of the last season have healed.

^This

Why would anyone be disappointed in this class? That is telling a bunch of kids you believe they will suck before they even get to campus. I'm disappointed we didn't get a couple more of the kids we were after but I know nothing about how they are going to play until we see them in the field. I am proud of all of them for coming to play for the VOLS.

Pruitt has a 5-star heart... I truly believe that, but rankings don't matter. He's also a champion of life, which is way better than being a champion of football, or even just "ball."

I don't remember the exact quotes, but when Butch Jones got here for his first season, he basically said "We're going to be in better shape than the rest of the teams, and we won't be tired in the 4th quarter." Pruitt's first reaction: "We're too small." Butch Jones was better suited to a different conference. All the speed in the world doesn't help when you're getting pounded for 4-quarters straight by guys who are twice your size. Plus his offense was... just... laughable. Even in '15 and '16 the writing was on the wall. We were barely eeking out victories in overtime and with hail-marries, to teams with lesser talent (at the time).

I say all that because we gave Jones 5 years to rebuild and he still left a dumpster fire in his wake. Pruitt knows what it takes to win in the SEC. It's yet to be seen if he can deliver, but I like what he's saying and doing. His staff are getting their leadership reps in as we speak. He'll do all the things it takes to win football games, perhaps even score touchdowns. He has resiliency. He plays complementary football. Bleck... I'll stop now :)

One last point on this recruiting class being compared to prior, first-year coaches' classes... this was the first year with an early signing period, so there is no other class to compare it to, in my opinion.

Promising a top class next year is also a promise to win more games this year, because top recruits will commit only if they see it happening in games. That is a lot of pressure to put on a first year staff. I will be very happy with eight wins and a class ranked ten, and that is optimistic. Could it happen? Yes.

I like the guy fine enough, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he works out.

We've basically made two good hires since the mid 1960s. One was a former hero and the other was an internal promotion.

I just can't be disappointed with this class. Worst season and off season in history. I'll certainly give him a pass this year.

I like the guy fine enough, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he works out.

We've basically made two good hires since the mid 1960s. One was a former hero and the other was an internal promotion.

I just can't be disappointed with this class. Worst season and off season in history. I'll certainly give him a pass this year.

So THREE good hires? Dickey, Majors and Fulmer? Since Majors and Fulmer consumed 33 seasons of our history, I think we’re due another.

So THREE good hires? Dickey, Majors and Fulmer? Since Majors and Fulmer consumed 33 seasons of our history, I think we’re due another.

Dickey was hired in the mid 60s. So, since that hire.

Just because we due another doesn't mean we've made a good one. I hope so though.

Dickey was hired in the mid 60s. So, since that hire.

Just because we due another doesn't mean we've made a good one. I hope so though.

I don’t consider Kiffin a BAD hire. At worst incomplete. So two bad hires in 43 seasons of football makes me like the odds.

I’m dating back to the hire of Majors. Dickey’s hire covered the remainder of the 60’s.

I don’t consider Kiffin a BAD hire. At worst incomplete. So two bad hires in 43 seasons of football makes me like the odds.

I’m dating back to the hire of Majors. Dickey’s hire covered the remainder of the 60’s.

Dude I think kiffin was a long shot at best. Ignoring the way he left here, why would we assume he would have done any better here than he did at USC? He was a terrible hire. Give me one reason why he wasn’t a terrible hire and I might change my mind. I think he could be great here NOW, but he had to experience the USC fail and verbal beatings from Saban to get him to mature (even that’s arguable given his twitter trolling) . That’s why I think he was a terrible hire at that point in time. (Still better than stooley and Lyle though)

Dude I think kiffin was a long shot at best. Ignoring the way he left here, why would we assume he would have done any better here than he did at USC? He was a terrible hire. Give me one reason why he wasn’t a terrible hire and I might change my mind. I think he could be great here NOW, but he had to experience the USC fail and verbal beatings from Saban to get him to mature (even that’s arguable given his twitter trolling) . That’s why I think he was a terrible hire at that point in time. (Still better than stooley and Lyle though)

I’m not a Kiffin fan but I look at the current product when I’m judging his hire. There was some impressive coaching done that season, so if he ain’t “bad”? :dunno:

I do wish that all of the people who trashed VN hating on Butch to leave would stop trashing threads by posting about Butch now that he is gone. I

VN Store

Back