A mess at I-75 / I-24 split in Chattanooga

1554482979375.png
It has looked this way most of the week--spring break traffic is compounding the problem too.

You coming to Atlanta from Nashville or Knoxville?

If coming from Nashville on 24 East, it isn't really a problem. You just keep right onto 75 South no problem, avoiding the bridge that collapsed. If coming from Knoxville on 75 South, the traffic starts building up at Hamilton Place (exit 3) and lasts all the way until the split. The traffic is also bad on 75 North coming up from Georgia, starting around the Battlefield Parkway exit (350) and lasting all the way until the split. It's a mess.

Driving down from Knoxville. Perhaps it's not too bad at 7:30am on a Saturday. Guess I'll trust Google tomorrow and go wherever it takes me.

Still the case. lol

lol
I wasn't even taking a shot at GA, it really did seem to be the case. It got to be where I'd be driving along on the interstate and some tool would make an aggressive jerkish maneuver, whether to me or someone else, and I'd automatically say to my wife, "Georgia!" And then we'd look at the plates and dead on, damn near every time. It was kind of odd, actually.

Reactions: vollygirl
lol
I wasn't even taking a shot at GA, it really did seem to be the case. It got to be where I'd be driving along on the interstate and some tool would make an aggressive jerkish maneuver, whether to me or someone else, and I'd automatically say to my wife, "Georgia!" And then we'd look at the plates and dead on, damn near every time. It was kind of odd, actually.
My wife gets on me when I complain about out-of-state drivers. She says, "See, Knox County plates !". I say, "look at the license plate frame or dealer sticker". Mostly out-of-state references, Wolverines, Buckeyes, etc.

The split can get bad, but the really bad part as far as interstate traffic goes is 24 from Lookout Valley all the way to the split. For a city of our size, the traffic through there on a daily basis is incredible. The amount of trucks in particular that go through there is staggering, and there really isn't an alternative because I'm not sure where/how a bypass could be built. The geography is tricky, to say the least.

If you have to go through the split but are remaining on 75, it actually isn't awful. Especially 75 North coming out of Georgia and continuing on towards Knoxville. It sucks if you're getting off 24 to get onto 75, or vice versa.

A tunnel under Lookout Mtn and a connection between I-59/Trenton and I-75/Ringgold along with a I-75/Ringgold and I-75/Cleveland bypass. Of course, the majority of that work would be in Georgia to help ease traffic in Tennessee. But that is the best option.

Left lane is open now, so traffic is now it’s regular screwed up mess instead of an extraordinarily screwed up mess.

Reactions: vollygirl

VN Store

Back