A few connected rants after seeing the press conference

I'm sick of the bitching and cynicism about the sky falling. We are purging mediocre talent developers and program managers, which is what many people wanted anyway. And there is plenty of reason to be optimistic:

First: I don't buy the cynicism that TN will fumble this search because they fumbled it in 2017, etc. None of the major players remain. The current ones all know about the past fiasco though. And they have had roughly 2 months to prepare. It's a totally different regime.

Second: The act of bringing in Steele as a Swiss army knife / duct tape last week is a really good sign that there are some adults in the room. He's a VFL, can assume a number of positions, and is kind of a perfect bridge at the right time. Can we take a minute to appreciate the shrewdness of this placeholder move?

Third: Plowman and Boyd went to great lengths today to compliment Fullmer. This a firm indication of how much social capital Fullmer carries AND how distanced he is from the violations and rot. Put away your pitchforks folks, and show a little respect for a guy that has dedicated his entire adult life to the program. Honestly, you jackasses that skewer Fullmer at every turn make me puke in my mouth. Get some perspective.

Fourth: Fullmer had literally nothing to say in defense of Pruitt's "legacy." This was a clinic on distancing.

Fifth: Reading through the bios of the 7 fired staffers reminds me of the "Falcon and the Snowman" issue in which major security issues were entrusted to junior people who are hideously inexperienced and underpaid. All of these 7 appear to be under 30. One is an "ex-hostess" named Hooker. Are they trained in ethics? Compliance? Do we spend milllions of (public, taxpayer) dollars per year on a program that is then compromised by people whose chief skill is party planning?

Sixth: Plowman and Boyd strained their vocal chords trying to send a message to the NCAA. They are cooperating. Cheating has no place. The next people hired for AD/HC/Waterboy/Ballwasher/Valet will be selected based on integrity, principles, and integrity and principles. Also, maybe experience. Those of you thinking this opens the door to Freeze have a tin ear. UT knows this investigation and sanctions will drag out longer than the coaching search, and are already trying to publicly negotiate with the NCAA.

Seventh: It is BS that this is a bad job. Just stop the martyrdom, you ninnies. It's an SEC school, world-class facilities, huge brand, and a talent base in place. There may not be a better buy-low school in the country right now for a talented coach that wants to make his mark. Jesus. Stop acting like this is Prairie View A&M.

Eighth: This not a "death knell" to the program. JFC! Penn State came roaring back after acts that exceeded anyone's worst nightmares. LSU is still playing basketball. Baylor still has sports. All it takes is shrewd hires and a change of culture. Relax and root for this new regime of grownups to just do their jobs.

100% spot on............

I'm sick of the bitching and cynicism about the sky falling. We are purging mediocre talent developers and program managers, which is what many people wanted anyway. And there is plenty of reason to be optimistic:

First: I don't buy the cynicism that TN will fumble this search because they fumbled it in 2017, etc. None of the major players remain. The current ones all know about the past fiasco and are motivated to not repeat it. And they have had roughly 2 months to prepare. It's a totally different regime.

Second: The act of bringing in Steele as a Swiss army knife / duct tape last week is a really good sign that there are some adults in the room. He's a VFL, can assume a number of positions, and is kind of a perfect bridge at the right time. Can we take a minute to appreciate the shrewdness of this placeholder move?

Third: Plowman and Boyd went to great lengths today to compliment Fullmer. This a firm indication of how much social capital Fullmer carries AND how distanced he is from the violations and rot. Put away your pitchforks folks, and show a little respect for a guy that has dedicated his entire adult life to the program. Honestly, you jackasses that skewer Fullmer at every turn make me puke in my mouth. Get some perspective.

Fourth: Fullmer had literally nothing to say in defense of Pruitt's "legacy." This was a clinic on distancing.

Fifth: Reading through the bios of the 7 fired staffers reminds me of the "Falcon and the Snowman" issue in which major security issues were entrusted to junior people who are hideously inexperienced and underpaid. All of these 7 appear to be under 30. One is an "ex-hostess" named Hooker. Are they trained in ethics? Compliance? Do we spend milllions of (public, taxpayer) dollars per year on a program that is then compromised by people whose chief skill is party planning?

Sixth: Plowman and Boyd strained their vocal chords trying to send a message to the NCAA. They are cooperating. Cheating has no place. The next people hired for AD/HC/Waterboy/Ballwasher/Valet will be selected based on integrity, principles, and integrity and principles. Also, maybe experience. Those of you thinking this opens the door to Freeze have a tin ear. UT knows this investigation and sanctions will drag out longer than the coaching search, and are already trying to publicly negotiate with the NCAA.

Seventh: It is BS that this is a bad job. Just stop the martyrdom, you ninnies. It's an SEC school, world-class facilities, huge brand, and a talent base in place. There may not be a better buy-low school in the country right now for a talented coach that wants to make his mark. Jesus. Stop acting like this is Prairie View A&M.

Eighth: This not a "death knell" to the program. JFC! Penn State came roaring back after acts that exceeded anyone's worst nightmares. LSU is still playing basketball. Baylor still has sports. All it takes is shrewd hires and a change of culture. Relax and root for this new regime of grownups to just do their jobs.
One of those people that was fired also helps with Men's Basketball recruiting. That's how ugly it could get.

Reactions: kvol

First: I don't buy the cynicism that TN will fumble this search because they fumbled it in 2017, etc. None of the major players remain. The current ones all know about the past fiasco and are motivated to not repeat it. And they have had roughly 2 months to prepare. It's a totally different regime.

We are off to a good start. The current Administration is NOT the group that fumbled the last search, and clearly had a plan in place even while observing a gag order that rightfully happens during investigations.

The icing on the cake is an AD that not only appears competent administratively, but also has a talent for spotting good coaches. Things are looking up...

VN Store

Back