A Basketball Poll for Vol fans only:

I don’t want this team in our NCAA Regional with us.

• Duke

Votes: 68 23.1%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 46 15.6%
  • Gonzaga

Votes: 51 17.3%
  • Virginia

Votes: 66 22.4%
  • N.Carolina

Votes: 48 16.3%
  • LSU

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
Couldn't vote....didn't see a choice for "all of the above". ;)

I believe that you are mistaken. The guideline for teams from the same conference is that they can't meet each other before the regional final games. UT could be the 2 seed in the same region as a 1 seed Ky. As somebody mentioned in another thread, the exception to that rule is if you have 3 teams from the same conference in the same region because the other 3 regions already have 2 teams from that conference already.

I am not mistaken. There is a 0% chance of UK and UT ending up in the same region.

Bracketing Rules

"Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines."

Reactions: golfballs
I am not mistaken. There is a 0% chance of UK and UT ending up in the same region.

Bracketing Rules

"Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines."

Please accept my apology. The bracketing rules I was quoting are way outdated like me by 20 years probably. That was the way it was before all of the conferences expanded. Truth be known, the rule change probably came about because of the ACC after they expanded to 15 teams or however many the've got now. I'm glad it's the way it is as you correctly stated. Have a good day today.

1. Duke - We know what we're up against, they've gotten the most TV time the whole season.
  2. Kentucky - We know what we're up against.
  3. Gonzaga - Been there, beat that.
  4. Virginia - Complete Unknown.
  5. North Carolina - Relative Unknown (my 2nd vote, if I could vote twice),
  6. LSU* - We know what we're up against. Also, no Wade. Also, no Smart. Also, they're cheaters.
  7. Michigan - Not scared at all.
  8. Michigan State - Not scared at all.

All the above..... That being said I have seen several mid's in their tourneys that look really tough.
O well, bring on any of them that we haven't played 2-3 times already this year.

I picked Kentucky. Not necessarily because they are the best, but I just wouldn't want to face them unless it was in the Final Four.

I said UNC only because they are the hottest team right now...I think we match up well with Duke and I honestly think we would smoke Virginia...Haven't been impressed with them all season...Gonzaga might be the most dangerous team in the tournament...With Tillie they might be the best team out there.

Please accept my apology. The bracketing rules I was quoting are way outdated like me by 20 years probably. That was the way it was before all of the conferences expanded. Truth be known, the rule change probably came about because of the ACC after they expanded to 15 teams or however many the've got now. I'm glad it's the way it is as you correctly stated. Have a good day today.

No problem!
For a time, conference rivals couldn’t meet before the Elite Eight. They had to change this rule on the fly the first time they took more than eight teams from the Big East, back when the Big East became gigantic before splitting into two conferences.

Now, conference rivals can meet as early as the second round if they only played once during the season (Sweet 16 if the played twice and Elite Eight if they played three times).

I do not know when they added the exception for the Top 4 teams from a conference who are seeded 4 or better to not meet until the Final Four. Last year, UK and UT were in the same region, but UK was a 5-seed. So, they could meet in the Elite Eight, having already played three times and the exception not applying with UK being a 5.

Virginia and Michigan

I just don’t like our matchup if they are hot.

I think we beat Kentucky, NC, Michigan State, and LSU if our team shows up on Defense.

Duke is hard to point to. I think the media has made them bigger than they are.

Zags are scarily locked-in and probably fresh off a cupcake conference schedule. They’ll have our number. Pass.

I'm always concerned about a big 10 team in the tournament. They are typically more physical and the refs swallow their whistles. So probably Michigan.
I fear the way the games are called more than any opponent this year.
BTW I think there will be more goal tendings called this year than in recent memory because of the misses in the SEC this year.

I voted for Duke, but the more I think about it...It doesn't seem to matter what kind of team the Michigan State has, they always seem to do well in the tourney. I will unofficially give them their only vote.

Virginia. I know they have a past of struggles in the NCAA, but they have changed their offense and are much less vulnerable.

UNC is the hottest team in basketball right now, not counting Gonzaga who hasn’t played anyone in 3 months and Virginia who always flames out at tournament time.

Gonzaga is the team to watch. If anyone gets within 20 points at the end they should consider it a victory.

Gonzaga is the team to watch. If anyone gets within 20 points at the end they should consider it a victory.
Then you'll likely consider St. Mary's win over them by 13 points later that same day as a victory.

I voted for UNC (North Carolina) as I saw their victories over Duke, although it would be fun to see Tennessee beat them.

I voted for Michigan State because nobody else did. I know they are missing some key players but Izzo always seems to have his team playing their best ball in the Tourney. Plus that Draymond Green coast to coast winning basket after a Scottie Hopson missed free throw still gives me nightmares

Kentucky and LSU will not be in our region. Teams from the same conference in the top 4 on the seedline can’t be in the same region. In fact, the committee can even move a team from a 4 seed to a 5 seed in order to adhere to the principle.

VN Store

Back