99gator's 2019 prediction thread

Is Zuniga definitely out or questionable?
I can't find anything that says he is out and probably not going to untill a few hours before game time. But ankle sprains hardly get better in a week.

As a fan you hear rumblings, and there are rumblings that he's not playing on Saturday - But even if he does see the field, he's not going to be full speed. In my book, he's probably out.

Reactions: bigorange
It’s that time of year again.

A lot of my concerns for Tennessee have nothing to do with matchups. I don’t think they’ll handle the heat as I still question their conditioning/depth. I don’t think they’ll handle adversity well (and there are ups and downs in every game). I think the mental breakdowns are typically worse on the road than at home. I don’t know how many in the locker room really “believe” they will win. It’s something everyone says, but I don’t know how many of them truly think it. And there’s still something about how they opened up against Georgia State that still doesn’t sit well. To mail it in for a game to open the season to that extreme still has me thinking something is wrong.

As for matchups, I think one thing Tennessee can do is throw the ball up to Jennings and Callaway and let them go get it. I at least give that a shot 5-10 times during the game. If successful at all, I do it even more. Can Tennessee run the ball? Can JG make good decision? Can Tennessee score TD’s instead of kicking FG’s? I’m leaning toward “no”

Defensively, I disagree with a lot of folks on the board. I don’t think you blitz and come after Trask. You stop the run and make Trask prove he can play by limiting big plays and making Florida have to execute on 10+ play drives. Big plays have killed Tennessee particularly against Florida. Most blitzes have man coverage (yes, I know there are zone blitzes), and are easy for a QB to read. I would want Trask to prove he can read the defense and make throws repeatedly. I wouldn’t want to blitz, have him hit a guy and watch a Florida receiver make a guy miss or run away from someone and get yardage in chunks.

Now, I think Florida is better overall, but it’s the stuff that has nothing to do with matchups that I think poses the biggest problem for Tennessee. I don’t think a blowout happens because I don’t think Florida is good enough to blow someone out.

But, I expect Florida to get it done, something along the lines of 27-16.

Good luck.
GTFO

I'm not worried about the heat as much since this cold front will have come through. The forecasted high is 86 for Gainesville tomorrow.

THIS and it will be 83F at kickoff...so no big deal. Avg temp in Knoxville vs Gainesville has been almost identical the last 60 days. We just need to win the turnover battle and out rush them and we get the W

I don't mind the usual Gator fans that post on here. They have always been respectful and give their opinion. As a good fan should, they tend to side more-so on their side but the real fans who are not NegaVols tend to do the same also. Thank you @99gator, @ALGator and @lawgator1 who come here and contribute in good ways.

That being said WGWTFA on Saturday! Here's to a good game boy-o's!

I think you are spot on and it pains me to say it. I agree wholeheartedly with the conditioning vs the heat comment. This team is not well conditioned, period. The heat won’t help, but smaller, less talented schools have worn the Vols down so far. I am concerned what an SEC team can do.

I would love for us to come together for this one, but I don’t expect a win (probably the feeling that most of the players outside JJ has). With that being said, I believe that Jauan is the one player that could will us to a miracle.
If we have only one player on the team that thinks we can win, we are in real trouble! Why play the game if the team thinks we are going to lose! :mad:

Reactions: RollerVol
The heat argument is overblown IMO. The last time we beat UF here at home, I was sitting very close to the UF section. It was sizzling that day. The UF fans were passing out left and right, and were moaning the entire game.

I brought in a client I do alot of work for to go to the game. His office is right outside Gaineville and lives in that area (hes not a UF fan, grew up in Bammer and likes AU), and I looked at him during the 3rd quarter, and said "man what's wrong with all these Florida people passing out, arent they used to this heat?" He looked back at me and quickly said, "dude it's HOT!"

It might stay muggy and hot a little longer in the year in Gainesville but I just dont think it's as big of deal as everyone is making it out to be. We are used to the heat. The high in Gainesville for Saturday is 86. The high in Knoxville is 87.

I've been in Gainesville in the middle of the summer. It was HOT. But I remember when I got home and got out the car, I thought, its HOT. Checked the temp and humidity and it was virtually the same.

The bigger factor Saturday is how our young players respond to the crowd and whether or not JG can hit an open receiver. And of course, not turning the ball over 8 times.
I live here. And the High tomorrow is only 86. Very mild for this time of year..Won't be a factor this year even with Kegs and Eggs Kickoff

I can't find anything that says he is out and probably not going to untill a few hours before game time. But ankle sprains hardly get better in a week.
He’ll very likely play and set career highs in tackles, tackles for loss, sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, passes defended, passes broken up, and interceptions.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
Have you been in east Tennessee this year? It has been hotter here the last two years than any other time I can remember in my 56 years of living here.
Recency bias imo. It’s been hotter, in some cases much hotter historically throughout all of Tennessee and the south in previous years compared to this year.

I don't mind the usual Gator fans that post on here. They have always been respectful and give their opinion. As a good fan should, they tend to side more-so on their side but the real fans who are not NegaVols tend to do the same also. Thank you @99gator, @ALGator and @lawgator1 who come here and contribute in good ways.

That being said WGWTFA on Saturday! Here's to a good game boy-o's!
Someone has never experienced LG in the politics forum.

To clarify, when I mentioned the heat....it’s more from the point of view that i think Tennessee wears down and I don’t think is conditioned well.

Not sure I agree with you on backing off the blitz.

If we we're actually a little more experienced and could trust our freshman/sophmores Crouch, Too'too, & Burrell...... not to blow assignments and mis coverage then making Trask beat us would make more sense to me. Trask showed enough verse Kentucky I'm not convinced that's a good idea though.

Trask is still making his first start and saw virtually no blitz vs Kentucky. We gotta pressure Trask early & hope it causes him to make a mistake that sets the tone for the game.

We just don't have the defensive depth to try and win the bend but don't break long drive war of attrition.

Pressure Trask into sacks/incomplete/turnovers and neutralize allot of your speed at WR is the only chance I see of us staying in the game.

It will be interesting to see what Pruitt & Ansley game plan.
Pruitt going to be what Pruitt going to be with his identity. High pressure on qb...win or lose. Our best and really only chance to win is creating multiple turnovers, creating short field s and scoring TDs. Hope we spent a lot of time on 3rd and short... we’ll have to chew up clock and shorten the game.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
To clarify, when I mentioned the heat....it’s more from the point of view that i think Tennessee wears down and I don’t think is conditioned well.
Well I could have agreed with you but the current cold front has completely changed the forecast.

If our defense doesn't get stops and our offense goes 3 and out constantly our defense would be tired in 50° weather.

If UT doesn't find a way(s) to lose badly, then it will be close and it's anybody's game. UT's biggest problem playing UF is generally UT.
Yeah most disheartening thing last year was all the turnovers which lead to scores which effectively took us out of the game early.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Eh. The forecast is rather mild for Gainesville. It's not like it's been 75 here anyway.

If UT is poorly conditioned 85 - 87 degrees is not going to matter.

FTR if UT wears down it will have more to do with depth than the temp.

The sad thing is a better QB would make all the difference in this team, and Pruitt is too stubborn to even let Shrout or Maurer play with the 1st string. Who knows, maybe JG won’t choke Saturday and we win, that would be great, and I’ll celebrate with you!

Unbelievable how stubborn he is! I've read 23 practice reports on VN, watched 11 QB videos of routes vs air, learned a ton from reading Facebook Vol reports from the media, and saw both our backups Heisman level performances vs the mighty Mocs. I'd pretty much consider myself "close to the program" at this point.

Pruitt knows nothing here. He's just sticking with JG for a variety of stubborn reasons and doesn't care about winning. Crap even Butch Jones was smart enough to shock UF with a backup for Worley down there a few years back. That's coaching to win and we all knew it was before!

But Mr. Stubborn doesn't have enough sense to listen to fan wisdom. Unbelievable!

Reactions: peerless98
Why do you keep talking about the heat? Look at the weather for this month and you will see that on average Knoxville has actually been hotter than Gainesville for much of the month, even reaching upper 90s a few days. This has been the hottest September on record. If the "heat" is going to affect the Vols in Gainesville, then that means it has been affecting them in Knoxville as well since both places have been equally hot at the very least.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back