99gator's 2019 prediction thread

Part of the reason that Trask was so effective coming in for Franks was the speed with which he gets rid of the ball. Franks is a tough kid, didn't mind the physical contact of the pass rush. But it made us so ineffective. Trask dumps it quickly.

Agreed.

It’s as if Franks doesn’t trust the play being called. This year he didn’t have the luxury of an NFL 1st round pick at RT giving him time to rollout of the pocket to buy time. Franks killed UT twice last year with TD passes to Swain and Cleveland rolling to his right.

My .02 cents. For some reason I strongly believe Tennessee will come out, firing on all cylinders and surprises Florida with an aggressive first half, hell... maybe even taking the lead into halftime.

The second half is a concern. Mullen is a seasoned coach within the conference, the gators are playing at home and they've got the psychological factor benefiting them. They know they can beat us. Tennessee hopes to beat Florida.

I see a 2nd half let down and letting one slip away in Gainesville.

35-16 with the bad guys pulling away at the end. I think an inspired effort will be there, but a young team just steps on their own dicks too much and Mullen and co. figure it out and get it rolling in the 4th.

My .02 cents. For some reason I strongly believe Tennessee will come out, firing on all cylinders and surprises Florida with an aggressive first half, hell... maybe even taking the lead into halftime.

The second half is a concern. Mullen is a seasoned coach within the conference, the gators are playing at home and they've got the psychological factor benefiting them. They know they can beat us. Tennessee hopes to beat Florida.

I see a 2nd half let down and letting one slip away in Gainesville.

Again?

It’s that time of year again.

A lot of my concerns for Tennessee have nothing to do with matchups. I don’t think they’ll handle the heat as I still question their conditioning/depth. I don’t think they’ll handle adversity well (and there are ups and downs in every game). I think the mental breakdowns are typically worse on the road than at home. I don’t know how many in the locker room really “believe” they will win. It’s something everyone says, but I don’t know how many of them truly think it. And there’s still something about how they opened up against Georgia State that still doesn’t sit well. To mail it in for a game to open the season to that extreme still has me thinking something is wrong.

As for matchups, I think one thing Tennessee can do is throw the ball up to Jennings and Callaway and let them go get it. I at least give that a shot 5-10 times during the game. If successful at all, I do it even more. Can Tennessee run the ball? Can JG make good decision? Can Tennessee score TD’s instead of kicking FG’s? I’m leaning toward “no”

Defensively, I disagree with a lot of folks on the board. I don’t think you blitz and come after Trask. You stop the run and make Trask prove he can play by limiting big plays and making Florida have to execute on 10+ play drives. Big plays have killed Tennessee particularly against Florida. Most blitzes have man coverage (yes, I know there are zone blitzes), and are easy for a QB to read. I would want Trask to prove he can read the defense and make throws repeatedly. I wouldn’t want to blitz, have him hit a guy and watch a Florida receiver make a guy miss or run away from someone and get yardage in chunks.

Now, I think Florida is better overall, but it’s the stuff that has nothing to do with matchups that I think poses the biggest problem for Tennessee. I don’t think a blowout happens because I don’t think Florida is good enough to blow someone out.

But, I expect Florida to get it done, something along the lines of 27-16.

Good luck.
Gators suck.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Part of the reason that Trask was so effective coming in for Franks was the speed with which he gets rid of the ball. Franks is a tough kid, didn't mind the physical contact of the pass rush. But it made us so ineffective. Trask dumps it quickly.

Yessir! I agree wholeheartedly with that assessment.
You guys ought to feel confident because Trask got rid of the ball quick and threw it to the right guy almost every time.

Will he build on that performance in this game?

Florida's players definitely rallied in support of Franks at Kentucky--they said as much in post-game interviews.
But expending all that emotion does eventually lead to an empty tank--like it happened in the 2nd half in 2016.

Will they have that same intensity against us?
Florida has owned us--no point in denying that fact. And that breeds confidence, esp. at home.

However, it also breeds over-confidence and arrogance sometimes.
I'm hoping for that, because it's extremely hard to "turn on" that emotional intensity.
And when the tank is empty....you're done.

I'm banking on that for today--but realize that I could be completely wrong.

GO VOLS!!

I am a bit less optimistic than 99gator. I have seen Trask do some good things, but I have seen him do some very dumb things too. (He' s a backup for a reason) That coupled with the 2019 version of Florida's O-Line has me very concerned.

The injury bug has bitten us pretty hard this year already and all things considered, I would call these teams about even right now especially with Franks and Zuniga out.

Given that, I am confident Trask most definitely is going to make some costly mistakes and those will keep Tennessee very much in it. If I were Dan Mullen I would have been preparing the team to expect the momentum changing turnovers all week. The question now is, will Tennessee say 'hold my beer' and reciprocate?

This is going to be a nail biter - Florida by a field goal or less.

Well, I was right about the turnovers, but way off on the score. But, Tennessee blew both of its feet off with turnovers of its on.

Pruitt is not a good head coach - Muschamp v2. Everything form this point on should be figuring out the next move away from this guy.

VN Store

Back