9 plays, 91 yards, 5:44

We MUST be able to do this to win with this team. Our defense cannot be on the field equal the offense. Time of Possession is the first thing we have to win in any game we play, at least until we get some depth and big time athletes.
I saw alot of big D linemen Saturday playing good and I have been wondering where they was at. It was like the light finally came on.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
We were in prevent vs BYU when that happened. Prevent is a failure in college. It has cost UT games on several occasions in the guise of the Mustang. It only works effectively in the NFL because the clock doesn't stop for 1st downs. It fails in college for that reason.

How were we in prevent defense when we had a corner playing press coverage, safeties at 10 yards from the LOS and LBs roughly 5 yards from the LOS? If that's prevent defense it's the worst prevent defense in the history of college football. No, in all likelihood, we were supposed to be in zone since BYU only needed a FG and not a TD. Against MSU on that last drive, we had LBs 10 yard deep and safeties nearly 20 yards deep practically the entire time.

Reactions: MikeVol44
That 40+ yard third down throw to Keyton was nice too. Jarrett hasn't been taking chances like that downfield, especially on a critical down. I loved seeing it.
To be clear, I’m for who gives UT the best chance to win, and BM has shown a ton of potential...but, it was really good to see JG enjoy some success...

Typically I cringe when I see coaches go conservative prevent early but this was absolutely the right call this time. Around two mins up by ten, why wouldn’t you be in prevent especially considering how we lost to BYU?
I think my brain is forever scared from the days of Chavis going to Prevent and us losing.

1. THE amount of linemen rushing means nothing....
Some DC's will only rush 3 and drop 8 into zone coverage to confuse QBs all game long and make them throw bad passes.
Muschamp has done it to us a LOT--at Florida and USCe. And he's beat us every single time because we haven't had QBs good enough to make him pay for it.

2. on this play we had 2 deep Safeties....both CBs were within 5 yards of the LOS-----as were the LBs....That's just stupid....
I don't know what the DC called.....but there was NO EXCUSE for this coverage in that situation---NONE!

3. Why?? BYU needed 50 yards with 0 TOL to get into FG range.....we were up by 3 points....
4. this is the WRONG WAY to do it....LBs should've been 10 yards off the ball at snap.....CBs should've been 10+ yards off the ball at the snap.
And the 2 deep SAFETIES should've been 25 yards off the ball.....
BYU had both a TE run past our Safety deep and a WR ran past our best CB...and caught what proved to be the game-winner.

Those CBs and Safeties KNOW BETTER....... The failure against BYU was ALL ON THEM! .....with one CB in particular...

Against MSU

1. Rushing 3
2. up by 10 points with 2:35 to play....need to prevent a QUICK SCORE AT ALL COSTS...
3. CBs and LBs about 8-10 yds off the LOS....
4. 3 deep safeties across the field about 20-25 yards off the ball....

There was NO WAY our HC/DC were gonna put our guys in a position to repeat the mistakes of the BYU game....

So...you line up 5 guys across the field about 10 yds off the ball....and put 3 deep safeties 25+ yards off the ball to cover each deep 3rd of the field....
1 Safety covering sideline to hashmark on left side....1 safety covering middle between hashes.......1 safety covering sideline to hashmark on right side...

NO way any WR is gonna run past that coverage....and MISS. STATE coaches ALL KNEW IT!

That defense is designed to force the QB to throw the ball to 5-10 yard patterns...in the middle of the field--in FRONT of our defenders;
OR it entices a running QB like MSU's to take off and run up the middle of the field

We WANTED him to RUN THE BALL.....eat up clock....and burn Time outs...
If he threw the ball--we wanted to tackle the guy without letting him get out of bounds....

They teach this stuff in Middle school FB in these situations....

Somebody must have skipped the 8th grade.

yep, it was a joyous thing to behold...the other was the D-Line busting through to cause shock and awe...haven't seen either against a SEC team in a while...

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT BAMA!

We MUST be able to do this to win with this team. Our defense cannot be on the field equal the offense. Time of Possession is the first thing we have to win in any game we play, at least until we get some depth and big time athletes.
I saw alot of big D linemen Saturday playing good and I have been wondering where they was at. It was like the light finally came on. Dang I double posted this somehow.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
They did exactly what was needed for ONE drive, yes. Our pass protection has been MUCH better this year. But, if you're paying attention at all, you'll notice that our run blocking and push at the LOS has been almost non-existant. Even mighty GSU stymied us in the middle not to mention BYU.

And, I don't remember anyone predicting freshmen "Not being effective this YEAR". But, I remember many (including myself) saying that Freshmen in the trenches take their lumps early in the SEC and hopefully improve as the season progresses. I'm not saying that we don't have plenty of nutty predictions around her. But, "all season ineffective" was not the consensus IMO.

Our OL still has a ways to go. Georgia's OL is the benchmark that I've seen this season. Watch how Herrian or Swift are coached to be patient in the hole and then pick their best option and hit it fast. UGAs guys got 3-4 yard pushes against us and even USC on many plays the past 2 weeks. Our running backs would lose yardage every play and be benched for attempting what UGA's backs are coached to do.

Summary: We've got some killer young talent. But, we aint near outta the woods yet.
You are bringin up the first 2 games of tThe freshman’s career ? Uh yeah they have gotten a lot better have they not ?

I don't take offense when I'm wrong. I'm wrong all time in life. I would rather be educated on my ignorance. I am completely confused now.
I was going on memory but, I assumed when every one but the 3 down lineman drops back in coverage, that would be considered a "Prevent" defense. Is this not Prevent? I see the two LB's but, they both drop back in coverage.
View attachment 231335

I was going on memory from the game but, does this not imply that there are disadvantages and coaches who don't favor the concept?

View attachment 231340
I think that is cover 4 zone.

You are bringin up the first 2 games of tThe freshman’s career ? Uh yeah they have gotten a lot better have they not ?

I think the whole point may have flown right over your head. The poster quoted said lots were saying the news would suck this YEAR. I replied that hardly anyone expressed the whole YEAR. But rather most sane people knew they would get roasted early then get more comfortable and effective as the year progressed.

So, of course they got schooled in the first 2 games. All great players do in the trenches as true FR.

That's all.

I think that is cover 4 zone.

6 DBs on the field could've been Cover 6 with the ball on the right hash...
Either way--Cover 4 or Cover 6---why would the CBs walk up to the LOS in what appears at first to be press coverage??

Whatever the call--the main problem to me is that NONE of the DBs on the field had an awareness of the BIG PICTURE....i.e., situational awareness.

If it was cover 4 zone...the corners have NO BUSINESS walking up to the LOS in that situation.

One Safety goes running up after the snap past the LBs to cover a back out of the backfield on a 10 yd pattern...WTH was that????

Another Safety back there stands flat footed and allows 89 (TE) to run right past him, too.

It was mass confusion...and totally inexcusable.

NO DB in the SEC should have to be told to drop back and keep everything in front of you with the clock winding down with 20 seconds left in the game, your opponent without any TOs, and over 50 yards separating them from a legit fg attempt to tie the game.

But--the Miss. State game PROVES beyond any reasonable doubt that CJP has corrected their confusion.

Cover 3 at the end of game --3 Safeties 20+ yds off the ball....and 5 wide lined up about 10-15 yds off the ball at the snap.
And NO STUPID CBs walked up to the LOS within 5 yards of the WRs.

6 DBs on the field could've been Cover 6 with the ball on the right hash...
Either way--Cover 4 or Cover 6---why would the CBs walk up to the LOS in what appears at first to be press coverage??

Whatever the call--the main problem to me is that NONE of the DBs on the field had an awareness of the BIG PICTURE....i.e., situational awareness.

If it was cover 4 zone...the corners have NO BUSINESS walking up to the LOS in that situation.

One Safety goes running up after the snap past the LBs to cover a back out of the backfield on a 10 yd pattern...WTH was that????

Another Safety back there stands flat footed and allows 89 (TE) to run right past him, too.

It was mass confusion...and totally inexcusable.

NO DB in the SEC should have to be told to drop back and keep everything in front of you with the clock winding down with 20 seconds left in the game, your opponent without any TOs, and over 50 yards separating them from a legit fg attempt to tie the game.

But--the Miss. State game PROVES beyond any reasonable doubt that CJP has corrected their confusion.

Cover 3 at the end of game --3 Safeties 20+ yds off the ball....and 5 wide lined up about 10-15 yds off the ball at the snap.
And NO STUPID CBs walked up to the LOS within 5 yards of the WRs.
I would guess the CB was trying to show man but your right the play was a bust at least they learned and also #20 wasn't playing and he could have helped.

Reactions: MikeVol44

VN Store

Back