9 plays, 91 yards, 5:44

How did that work out against BYU??? We had prevented explosive plays from them all game long--until it mattered.

Whatever your opinion---IT BLOODY WELL WORKED!

It was an IMPROVEMENT!

3 deep---walking LBs back 10-15 yds after snap and preventing explosive plays...

The only big plays we gave up were QB runs--which is EXACTLY what we WANTED to happen.
Eat up clock--force them to burn their TOs...and keep them from scoring.

We just need to tighten up in the future and tackle the QB sooner.

Otherwise, that DEFENSE WORKED PERFECTLY!!!

You guys would find some way to gripe about winning the lottery

Have you seen the amount they withhold for taxes on winning Lotto tickets! SMH

Reactions: MikeVol44
Not to be rude, but most people with this opinion simply don't have experience as a football coach. We had a 10 point lead and MSU had just over 2 minutes left in the game. You play prevent and guard the sidelines and guard deep because you want them attacking the middle and chewing up clock. Yes you give up yards, but you're using the clock to your advantage. The BYU is game is a prime example what can happen if coverage breaks down and you let a WR sneak behind you.

I don't take offense when I'm wrong. I'm wrong all time in life. I would rather be educated on my ignorance. I am completely confused now.
I was going on memory but, I assumed when every one but the 3 down lineman drops back in coverage, that would be considered a "Prevent" defense. Is this not Prevent? I see the two LB's but, they both drop back in coverage.
1571083667167.png

I was going on memory from the game but, does this not imply that there are disadvantages and coaches who don't favor the concept?

1571084176092.png

How did that work out against BYU??? We had prevented explosive plays from them all game long--until it mattered.

Whatever your opinion---IT BLOODY WELL WORKED!

It was an IMPROVEMENT!

3 deep---walking LBs back 10-15 yds after snap and preventing explosive plays...

The only big plays we gave up were QB runs--which is EXACTLY what we WANTED to happen.
Eat up clock--force them to burn their TOs...and keep them from scoring.

We just need to tighten up in the future and tackle the QB sooner.

Otherwise, that DEFENSE WORKED PERFECTLY!!!

You guys would find some way to gripe about winning the lottery

?

I don't take offense when I'm wrong. I'm wrong all time in life. I would rather be educated on my ignorance. I am completely confused now.
I was going on memory but, I assumed when every one but the 3 down lineman drops back in coverage, that would be considered a "Prevent" defense. Is this not Prevent? I see the two LB's but, they both drop back in coverage.
View attachment 231335

I was going on memory from the game but, does this not imply that there are disadvantages and coaches who don't favor the concept?

View attachment 231340

If that was a prevent defense it was the worst prevent defense I've ever seen.

I'm too lazy look up the video, but I'm pretty sure they were playing zone. In your still frame, the top corner was playing on the ball and the safeties and LBs weren't very deep at all.

Did this drive save our season, Pruitt's job & JG's career? Maybe....
Doubtful. First of all, it would at most save Pruitt's job, not his career. He'll be coaching in some capacity until he retires.

And Guarantano mostly handed the ball off on that drive. He did dump off two short passes, one behind the line of scrimmage and one a yard or so past. Fortunately, the second one went all the way for a TD.

But there wasn't anything on that drive that is gonna change anyone's mind about Guarantano. Kudos to him for not screwing it up, though. He came through.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Against a defense full of upper classmen! Those 5* Freshman OL that many predicted would not be effective this year were wrong! Offensive line is slowly becoming a strength of this team, easily the best game they've had as a group!

I was tickled their hard work started to pay off a little bit. It's encouraging when you can smell the roses of winning just a little bit.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Doubtful. First of all, it would at most save Pruitt's job, not his career. He'll be coaching in some capacity until he retires.

And Guarantano mostly handed the ball off on that drive. He did dump off two short passes, one behind the line of scrimmage and one a yard or so past. Fortunately, the second one went all the way for a TD.

But there wasn't anything on that drive that is gonna change anyone's mind about Guarantano. Kudos to him for not screwing it up, though. He came through.
4-4 and 68 yards on third downs vs Ms State, spin it however you want but he's likely the only QB on our roster that can do that vs an SEC team.

It was a great drive! I was really dreading what I was expecting to be another big let down. I’m glad they put it together. It’s bad when you’re afraid even when you’re ahead in the fourth quarter. But I was sweating bullets before that drive.

Reactions: memtownvol
View attachment 231335

View attachment 231340

Yeah that’s prevent but it’s a bad example because of the busted coverage.

View attachment 231335

View attachment 231340

1. THE amount of linemen rushing means nothing....
Some DC's will only rush 3 and drop 8 into zone coverage to confuse QBs all game long and make them throw bad passes.
Muschamp has done it to us a LOT--at Florida and USCe. And he's beat us every single time because we haven't had QBs good enough to make him pay for it.

2. on this play we had 2 deep Safeties....both CBs were within 5 yards of the LOS-----as were the LBs....That's just stupid....
I don't know what the DC called.....but there was NO EXCUSE for this coverage in that situation---NONE!

3. Why?? BYU needed 50 yards with 0 TOL to get into FG range.....we were up by 3 points....
4. this is the WRONG WAY to do it....LBs should've been 10 yards off the ball at snap.....CBs should've been 10+ yards off the ball at the snap.
And the 2 deep SAFETIES should've been 25 yards off the ball.....
BYU had both a TE run past our Safety deep and a WR ran past our best CB...and caught what proved to be the game-winner.

Those CBs and Safeties KNOW BETTER....... The failure against BYU was ALL ON THEM! .....with one CB in particular...

Against MSU

1. Rushing 3
2. up by 10 points with 2:35 to play....need to prevent a QUICK SCORE AT ALL COSTS...
3. CBs and LBs about 8-10 yds off the LOS....
4. 3 deep safeties across the field about 20-25 yards off the ball....

There was NO WAY our HC/DC were gonna put our guys in a position to repeat the mistakes of the BYU game....

So...you line up 5 guys across the field about 10 yds off the ball....and put 3 deep safeties 25+ yards off the ball to cover each deep 3rd of the field....
1 Safety covering sideline to hashmark on left side....1 safety covering middle between hashes.......1 safety covering sideline to hashmark on right side...

NO way any WR is gonna run past that coverage....and MISS. STATE coaches ALL KNEW IT!

That defense is designed to force the QB to throw the ball to 5-10 yard patterns...in the middle of the field--in FRONT of our defenders;
OR it entices a running QB like MSU's to take off and run up the middle of the field

We WANTED him to RUN THE BALL.....eat up clock....and burn Time outs...
If he threw the ball--we wanted to tackle the guy without letting him get out of bounds....

They teach this stuff in Middle school FB in these situations....

Last edited:
This is one thing, among many, that has been missing from Tennessee football. We get the ball back with the lead and need to milk clock and, ideally, put more points on the board. Against Mississippi State: nine plays, 91 yards, and 5:44 off the clock. This drive was one of my favorite aspects of Tennessee's win on Saturday.

It was a beaut, Clark.

Reactions: Freak
Yeah that’s prevent but it’s a bad example because of the busted coverage.

It ain't prevent when your CBs are lined up less than 5 yards from the LOS.....with LBs also 5 yards away from the LOS.....
OR--it's the worst form of prevent I've ever seen in FB......begging to get beaten....

Reactions: Carp
If that was a prevent defense it was the worst prevent defense I've ever seen.

I'm too lazy look up the video, but I'm pretty sure they were playing zone. In your still frame, the top corner was playing on the ball and the safeties and LBs weren't very deep at all.
That's the one they scored on near the end of the game. Oh well, I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Takeaways:
Tyler Bird.. Where have you been???? Nice TD!!
Was waiting for the implosion when we scored. Battered Vol Syndrome. An MSU pick 6 or something. Gosh isn't it nice to GET 'Er DONE???
Come on, admit it.. you were waiting for it too.

Takeaways:
Tyler Bird.. Where have you been???? Nice TD!!
Was waiting for the implosion when we scored. Battered Vol Syndrome. An MSU pick 6 or something. Gosh isn't it nice to GET 'Er DONE???
Come on, admit it.. you were waiting for it too.
Nice to see some speed utilized in the slot position.

Reactions: memtownvol
That's the one they scored on near the end of the game. Oh well, I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

I know. That's the point. We weren't playing prevent. I'm not sure what you're arguing. I certainly don't want you to keep your thoughts to yourself. Spirited debate helps keep this board great.

Reactions: basspond
They did exactly what was needed for ONE drive, yes. Our pass protection has been MUCH better this year. But, if you're paying attention at all, you'll notice that our run blocking and push at the LOS has been almost non-existant. Even mighty GSU stymied us in the middle not to mention BYU.

And, I don't remember anyone predicting freshmen "Not being effective this YEAR". But, I remember many (including myself) saying that Freshmen in the trenches take their lumps early in the SEC and hopefully improve as the season progresses. I'm not saying that we don't have plenty of nutty predictions around her. But, "all season ineffective" was not the consensus IMO.

Our OL still has a ways to go. Georgia's OL is the benchmark that I've seen this season. Watch how Herrian or Swift are coached to be patient in the hole and then pick their best option and hit it fast. UGAs guys got 3-4 yard pushes against us and even USC on many plays the past 2 weeks. Our running backs would lose yardage every play and be benched for attempting what UGA's backs are coached to do.

Summary: We've got some killer young talent. But, we aint near outta the woods yet.

I dont often like your posts but I give you credit as an honest Negavol who is willing to see both the positive as well as the areas that still need improvement

This is one thing, among many, that has been missing from Tennessee football. We get the ball back with the lead and need to milk clock and, ideally, put more points on the board. Against Mississippi State: nine plays, 91 yards, and 5:44 off the clock. This drive was one of my favorite aspects of Tennessee's win on Saturday.
Totally agree. I really expected us to go 3 and out and give the ball back. This is the first time I can remember in years of us actually doing this. So many memories over past 6-7 years of the exact opposite happening.

1. THE amount of linemen rushing means nothing....
Some DC's will only rush 3 and drop 8 into zone coverage to confuse QBs all game long and make them throw bad passes.
Muschamp has done it to us a LOT--at Florida and USCe. And he's beat us every single time because we haven't had QBs good enough to make him pay for it.

2. on this play we had 2 deep Safeties....both CBs were within 5 yards of the LOS-----as were the LBs....That's just stupid....
I don't know what the DC called.....but there was NO EXCUSE for this coverage in that situation---NONE!

3. Why?? BYU needed 50 yards with 0 TOL to get into FG range.....we were up by 3 points....
4. this is the WRONG WAY to do it....LBs should've been 10 yards off the ball at snap.....CBs should've been 10+ yards off the ball at the snap.
And the 2 deep SAFETIES should've been 25 yards off the ball.....
BYU had both a TE run past our Safety deep and a WR ran past our best CB...and caught what proved to be the game-winner.

Those CBs and Safeties KNOW BETTER....... The failure against BYU was ALL ON THEM! .....with one CB in particular...

Against MSU

1. Rushing 3
2. up by 10 points with 2:35 to play....need to prevent a QUICK SCORE AT ALL COSTS...
3. CBs and LBs about 8-10 yds off the LOS....
4. 3 deep safeties across the field about 20-25 yards off the ball....

There was NO WAY our HC/DC were gonna put our guys in a position to repeat the mistakes of the BYU game....

So...you line up 5 guys across the field about 10 yds off the ball....and put 3 deep safeties 25+ yards off the ball to cover each deep 3rd of the field....
1 Safety covering sideline to hashmark on left side....1 safety covering middle between hashes.......1 safety covering sideline to hashmark on right side...

NO way any WR is gonna run past that coverage....and MISS. STATE coaches ALL KNEW IT!

That defense is designed to force the QB to throw the ball to 5-10 yard patterns...in the middle of the field--
OR it entices a running QB like MSU's to take off and run up the middle of the field

We WANTED him to RUN THE BALL.....eat up clock....and burn Time outs...
If he threw the ball--we wanted to tackle the guy without letting him get out of bounds....

They teach this stuff in Middle school FB in these situations....
A sincere thank you.

A sincere thank you.

Personally---I think our LBs played a little bit too loose and gave up too many yards to the QB on some of those runs....

Can they play better in those situations?? yes...

However, the D accomplished exactly what it was supposed to do----prevent them from scoring quick--and preserving our W!

GO VOLS!

Reactions: Carp
If we can keep calm next weekend, and if the coaching staff can build off any positives from Alabama game, I think this team can show well against SC.

You can see JP plan all over that last drive and the defensive effort all day!

Just go to Bama and play your ass off. Don’t have to win but let them know you were there and don’t forget!

Against a defense full of upper classmen! Those 5* Freshman OL that many predicted would not be effective this year were wrong! Offensive line is slowly becoming a strength of this team, easily the best game they've had as a group!
Chandler only had 60+ yds. on 16 carries; that's not great.

VN Store

Back