9/11: Game week Tennessee-Florida 2001

I went to my first Tennessee vs SEC opponent game when we played LSU in late September that season. It was the first game back Neyland since 9/11 and it was one of those times you never forget. Everything was electric, the Strip, the bars the night before, all day leading up to the game and the pregame National Anthem was pretty amazing. Not to mention beating LSU and Kelly “The Future “ Washington going for 256 yards.

I went to my first Tennessee vs SEC opponent game when we played LSU in late September that season. It was the first game back Neyland since 9/11 and it was one of those times you never forget. Everything was electric, the Strip, the bars the night before, all day leading up to the game and the pregame National Anthem was pretty amazing. Not to mention beating LSU and Kelly “The Future “ Washington going for 256 yards.

I was at that LSU game and the atmosphere was electric. That was Washington's best game as a VOL.

Last time the Vols didn't play the week of 9/11 we ended up playing Florida last game of the regular season...

Can this 2020 team catch lightning in a bottle?

My wife and I were at that game as well............in the LSU section in the lower level around the 30 yard line. When the Tigers went up early, the LSU fans were literally jumping all over us. LSU has always been my 2nd favorite team. Goes back to the Bert Jones, Tommy Casanova, and the Chinese Bandits days. Also, after my oldest daughter graduated UTK, she moved to Baton Rouge for 5 years and earned her Master's Degree from LSU. My wife and I really liked and enjoyed the city of Baton Rouge, and a night game at Death Valley is very impressive.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
My wife and I were at that game as well............in the LSU section in the lower level around the 30 yard line. When the Tigers went up early, the LSU fans were literally jumping all over us. LSU has always been my 2nd favorite team. Goes back to the Bert Jones, Tommy Casanova, and the Chinese Bandits days. Also, after my oldest daughter graduated UTK, she moved to Baton Rouge for 5 years and earned her Master's Degree from LSU. My wife and I really liked and enjoyed the city of Baton Rouge, and a night game at Death Valley is very impressive.
I’ve never been to Baton Rouge, but me and some buddies were supposed to go in ‘05 and obviously couldn’t because of the hurricanes. Going down to Death Valley has always been on my sports bucket list. The real kick in the pants of missing out on the game was that we were supposed to stay with a friend of a friend that shared a house with 2 of the Golden Girls. And not the ones from the TV show.

I remember they almost played that weekend. In fact, I was about 12 hours or so from heading to Gainesville with my buddies and had to later sell those tickets at a loss because I couldn't go to the rescheduled date. There was even a story of a dude who played CDs on his trip down to Gainesville, missed the announcement of the game being postponed and was pictured sitting in the stadium alone a day later. But, there was still doubt on Thursday of the week as to whether or not they would play. Turned out better for us they didn't.

I’ve never been to Baton Rouge, but me and some buddies were supposed to go in ‘05 and obviously couldn’t because of the hurricanes. Going down to Death Valley has always been on my sports bucket list. The real kick in the pants of missing out on the game was that we were supposed to stay with a friend of a friend that shared a house with 2 of the Golden Girls. And not the ones from the TV show.

They have a 4 lane boulevard that goes right through the middle of campus and by the stadium. There's a large grass median in between the four lanes that is packed with tailgaters. They even tailgate right outside the stadium. It's one huge, hell raising party. I know you're not supposed to generalize, but in our dozen or so times going and staying in Baton Rouge, those Cajuns work their a$$es off Monday - Thursday and party their a$$es off Friday - Sunday.

They have a 4 lane boulevard that goes right through the middle of campus and by the stadium. There's a large grass median in between the four lanes that is packed with tailgaters. They even tailgate right outside the stadium. It's one huge, hell raising party. I know you're not supposed to generalize, but in our dozen or so times going and staying in Baton Rouge, those Cajuns work their a$$es off Monday - Thursday and party their a$$es off Friday - Sunday.
Cajuns are next level. I remember that game after 9/11 in Knoxville and the LSU fans took over the Longbranch on the Strip and we were at O’Charleys and it was just a war of words and some beers cans being flung across the street at one another. I’ve never seen anything like that since.

Reactions: lukeneyland
was there too . Got to sit up in a friend of the families luxury box . Nice experience but not my cup of tea, I remember an elderly lady asked that the windows be closed because it was “getting chilly “ 😂. Was probably 85 degrees but I digress . Fred Thompson was there and stopped by the box . The POTSB & LSU band joined in playing the national anthem . I don’t recall hearing a cross word all day between the LSU fans and us Vols.To date Sabans only loss to UT . Flash forward a few months to the SECCG and all that good will between the fans was gone!

Cajuns are next level. I remember that game after 9/11 in Knoxville and the LSU fans took over the Longbranch on the Strip and we were at O’Charleys and it was just a war of words and some beers cans being flung across the street at one another. I’ve never seen anything like that since.
That’s what it’s all about

HAHA.... that’s funny . I just mentioned in my previous post that I don’t recall any animosity between the fans that day but I guess I just wasn’t in the right place !

VN Store

Back