8 Vols assistants reject UT pay cut to help with losses due to covid

The average America. Citizen has struggled financially from Covid. These guys are overpaid for the importance they bring to the game and society in general. It is a selfish look and I certainly believe it is blatant selfishness. Shame on them. With the play in the field this year I believe all these coaches on list should be let go. No wonder the players are not bought in , many of the coaches are not bought in.

Oh boohoo. They see the writing on the wall and probably expect to be fired after the season so why take a cut in pay?

Reactions: 508mikey and MaTaLa
They probably have a Fulmer guarantee of staying regardless of what happens to Pruitt.

It's all speculation of course, but guaranteeing current coaches to be on a new head coach's staff is a very good way to limit your pool of potential coaches, especially good ones. I would not be surprised if he found a way to guarantee the money, though.

Looks like a run to the mattress store coming

It's all speculation of course, but guaranteeing current coaches to be on a new head coach's staff is a very good way to limit your pool of potential coaches, especially good ones. I would not be surprised if he found a way to guarantee the money, though.

I wouldn't put it past Fulmer to make the retention of Graham and Tee a requirement for any potential new coach.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Everyone in the AD took a pay cut, except these guys. Including Rick Barnes and his staff
That really tells you a lot about these Football coaches that refused. It is clear their actions are not in the best interest of the University either on or off the field. Everyone should keep these coaches' names in mind.

It doesn't matter, if I'm not mistaken all except for Chaney's contract expire at the end of this year.
I think only 2 of them and the article said the pay cut had no bearing on their contract obligations ( meaning UT ) and their buyouts weren't affected

If they were performing well I’d be ok with it. But you can’t decline a cut then put out a team that looks brain dead 95% of the time.
From their perspective it’s probably the other way around. Why give money back to the AD that may very well end up being used for their severance? In a profession where your job security is always tenuous, I don’t blame any of them for not taking a pay cut. Unfortunately that is the world of professional (for them) athletics.

Did other UT staff have to take cuts? Faculty and staff? Because if so... YEESH
I'm sure everyone not on contract took a cut. So for these coaches making hundreds of thousands, they refused to sacrifice but let all the secretaries, maintenance staff, support staff, etc making far less either take a cut or lose their jobs. Makes them look like greedy fools to me.

And yes, my pay was cut 20% since April, it was either that or mass layoffs at my company, so I had no issue with the reduction since it saved a lot of jobs, even though it has hurt me personally.

Last edited:
All makes sense. The players must have taken a pay cut from there bagmen which explains there on field performance as well. Alabama isn’t having a problem

TBH Fulmer taking a pay cut is purely symbolic. He's making less money compared to the coaching staff and has already had a long and fruitful career getting paid the big bucks. He didnt take the AD job because he wanted the money. He took it to get back involved with the program he loves.
Haters forget he donated 1 million dollars from his last raise back into program while head coach.
No doubt there were tax considerations however my puny donations for the privilege of purchasing season tickets and parking pass pale in comparison. Nobody should ever doubt Fulmer's love of the University. That does not make him automatically the right person to be HC or AD.

VN Store

Back