76k at the Shoe

Smallest home attendance for an OSU game since 1971. They have gotten more to their spring game in recent years.

As always it gets back to the basics. Adversity helps define if folks are really SUPPORTIVE fans or sports consumers whose money and attendance can be dependent on the program meeting their very own objectives. on their timelines. Programs always miss the money when the support optional guys sulk and walk away, but the fan quality coefficient goes up. Those that continue to show up, prioritize watching or listening when it is not practical or possible will always be the backbone of the fan base. There is always hope that the seats will be backfilled with the more classic die hard fans when they come open.

There will be a mix in the stands and on the boards, just the way it is and always will be. Those that justify being mad and venting rather than sad are what they are and that is not being on the preferred list by our or any other program. It is not that both don't recognize the status of the program, it how they handle it that defines their fandom. I WILL GIVE MY ALL falls a little flat when words and actions don't back that up. I am hoping that attendance everywhere are impacted by COVID..... That is real for me.
Solid post.

Buckeye fanatics stayed at home today.
They may be stupid yankees but they might know how to get their administration's attention.
Vol fans showed up for a nooner to watch a team that we had no business whatsoever playing.
We are starved for any victory.
They refuse to accept mediocrity.
Big ten fans suck in general. And we just have a much better fan base.

Our admin wants turn Neyland into an 80k seat stadium that feels more like a pro stadium than college. TN doesn't deserve the fans it has. They have destroyed the program and are now selling its soul. I'd encourage people to find other hobbies or another program. Wouldn't bother me to see the stadium half empty, why support this garbage administration?
To be fair, this is what is happening all over football at college level. Building massive capacity stadiums is a thing of the past. 80k sounds about right to me. They ought to put logo screens that pull down over the upper deck right now to be honest. Embarrassing to have 1/3 empty stadium but that is attendance now, it seems almost everywhere.

To be fair, this is what is happening all over football at college level. Building massive capacity stadiums is a thing of the past. 80k sounds about right to me. They ought to put logo screens that pull down over the upper deck right now to be honest. Embarrassing to have 1/3 empty stadium but that is attendance now, it seems almost everywhere.

To me some of the upper deck seats are better than the lower bowl end zone seats. So don’t just cover the upper deck thinking they are the worst seating. Keep open from the 30’s.

It’s the fair weather fans that get all the glory around here.

My favorite is when they “identify “ as a “die hard” fan but won’t go to a game until we beat somebody.

Then there’s the “activist” fan. The fan that won’t go to the game to teach the administration a lesson.

Seems there are some “recreational” fans that want other fans to go hiking with them instead of going to the game.

Another kind is the bitter fan. I’ve got respect for them. They really do care so much that their feelings have gotten hurt by all this and they can’t get over it.

The last thing I want to do is tell someone how to spend their time or money. There are only so many games a year and you have only so many years in your life. Going to the game is like going fishing. Two things matter, did we get the win and who did you go with. We don’t always get the win, but you can sure go and spend time with important people. So go to every game you can and give all for the Vols.
There are those who don't go to games for various reasons that are just as worthy fans as those that go to games.

Big ten fans suck in general. And we just have a much better fan base.
They're just as passionate about their teams as we are about ours. What makes you say our fan base is better than OSU's fan base? Because you say so? They think the same about us. You should realize those facts

I wasn't aware all those to the North of the MD line were considered Yankees. I've always considered a Yankee as someone from the northeast US

My measure was whether your state was Union in the Civil War.

I also don’t consider the term derisive. I know tons of Yankees who are very solid hangs. I got a ton of cousins from Ohio whose families moved from Appalachia after WWII, but we still call them Yankee cousins. They’re cool with it.

Reactions: Cheese Vol
People who view themselves as responsible for “holding the administration accountable”for losing a football game are the fan version of “woke.” Gain some perspective and simmer down. You aren’t that important and neither is a football game.

Good. Let them show the recruits how they handle adversity.

I'll still show up at Neyland and cheer on our players regardless of all the stuff we've been through.

Real fanbases stick with their teams rain or shine. If these individuals decide to give their all for Tennessee, so will I.
Seems to be working out splendidly for us.

Just out of curiosity, why would Ohio State fans be mad? Their record under Ryan Day is phenomenal.

Sounds like there were experiences with the stadium itself being a problem. Gettimg into and out of the game, lousy concessions, and ticket prices etc.

This is going to keep happening more and more everywhere including Knoxville IMO.

Easier to watch the game from home with less hassle and not paying 75 bucks for nosebleed seats.

Reactions: UTwild82
Buckeye fanatics stayed at home today.
They may be stupid yankees but they might know how to get their administration's attention.
Vol fans showed up for a nooner to watch a team that we had no business whatsoever playing.
We are starved for any victory.
They refuse to accept mediocrity.
correct. what we needed after missing an entire offseason in 20 and subsequent 3 win season was another top 25 ooc game.

we sharpened our teeth, got better. there is no preseason like in nfl

They were playing a crap team. Maybe their fans prefer games with decent opponents. Unlike us, when fans act like we’re beating a good team when we’re playing one we have no business playing.

Sounds like there were experiences with the stadium itself being a problem. Gettimg into and out of the game, lousy concessions, and ticket prices etc.

This is going to keep happening more and more everywhere including Knoxville IMO.

Easier to watch the game from home with less hassle and not paying 75 bucks for nosebleed seats.
We start winning and there will be no problem filling the stadium. It’s that simple. The varying quality of concessions, stadium amenities, and home entertainment pales in comparison to being present when we beat Florida or Bama.
Convince fans we have even a puncher’s chance to win and those games are easy sellouts. That trickles down to the lesser games.

Reactions: murfvol1
We start winning and there will be no problem filling the stadium. It’s that simple. The varying quality of concessions, stadium amenities, and home entertainment pales in comparison to being present when we beat Florida or Bama.
Convince fans we have even a puncher’s chance to win and those games are easy sellouts. That trickles down to the lesser games.

Bama and FL will always be much higher attendance. Just like Oregon was for OSU last week.

The cupcake games like TN Tech and Tulsa are the ones that will be a tougher sell for programs.

Ohio is split into northeast of 70 and southwest of 70. They are distinctly different regions. southwest is more midwest, north east is very much mid Atlantic. even the weather is different.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol

VN Store

Back