7-3 QB Play Aight

MarkVols

Ok. I will admit, after the GS and BYU loses I thought we made a major mistake hiring a Bama coach. But I was wrong, think about this. If we won those 2 games we would be 7-3. What if, what if, Jim Chaney had a QB like Tua or Trevor Lawrence (had a verbal commitment to Vols) this year. Boys and girls, if we only had those two things, I truly believe we would be playing LSU for the SEC Championship. Yes even this season.

I truly believe Couch Pruitt is the man for the job. Someone had me thinking brick by brick. But I would much rather have some humble cornbread, aight!

I will say it’s clear he’s a much more mentally tough coach than his predecessors. He didn’t fold where Dooley and Butch would have. I think he’s made mistakes that have come with being a first time head coach. He appears to be learning from those mistakes.

Ok. I will admit, after the GS and BYU loses I thought we made a major mistake hiring a Bama coach. But I was wrong, think about this. If we won those 2 games we would be 7-3. What if, what if, Jim Chaney had a QB like Tua or Trevor Lawrence (had a verbal commitment to Vols) this year. Boys and girls, if we only had those two things, I truly believe we would be playing LSU for the SEC Championship. Yes even this season.

I truly believe Couch Pruitt is the man for the job. Someone had me thinking brick by brick. But I would much rather have some humble cornbread, aight!

Yeah but everyone would be saying we are winning just BC our QB in spite of our HC.
Remember Josh Dobbs won 9 games 2 years in a row despite the coaching.
It's about the Jimmies & Joe's

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Record in 2020 will be QB dependent. We'll have a good defense and a solid OL that should net us 6-7 wins. having Florida, Mizzou, and Kentucky at home certainly helps during SEC play, but none of those games are guaranteed. You would hope Vandy and Arkansas are wins given their current states. South Carolina is a toss up at this point. Gonna have to upset Florida, UGA, Bama, or OU in order to get at least 9 wins. 9 wins is doable, but it's best to temper expectations. 8 wins should be the goal with 9 wins or more being a huge success.

If Bituli plays we don't lose those games.
Which goes to the old adage that defense wins championships. UT's defense won the UK game and next year the defense will be the difference between a good year and an outstanding one.

That said, I am hopeful that JG comes back and shows us that he is good enough to run this 'fireAF' offense.

Never understood the 'coach from Bama' thing. I get it they are a hated long time rival but why would you not want a coach from the current top program in CFB. If Saban trusts him with his program he must be good. Rivalries don't matter to coaches, its a job. What am I missing?

I've watched every game this season multiple times (thanks Vol Freak) expect for the GA. St game. Somehow I cannot make myself watch that debacle again. I just want to forget about that game and move on.

Reactions: RollerVol
Still... The Ga State game was the most inexplicable defensive performance that I've ever seen.

It's simple really, Pruitt overlooked Ga. State; he pretty much admitted it. I was at the game. We tried to play way too many kids, especially on defense. Our staff thought we'd show up and win with superior athletes. We played 2, 3, and 4 people at each position on defense. When you do that, you can't scheme your opponent; you have to stay in basic alignments, which works in your opponent's favor.

Also, our QB misses at least 2-3 TD's on seam routes. Simply didn't see the open receivers. The interception he throws into triple coverage early in the third quarter was, simply put, rotten QB play.

If our coaches had schemed them like a normal opponent, Bituli plays, and our QB plays just average and not pitiful, we probably win by the predicted point spread. The good news is, our staff learned a tough lesson; I'd bet a Pruitt coached Tennessee team will never lose to an inferior opponent again...........ever.

Record in 2020 will be QB dependent. We'll have a good defense and a solid OL that should net us 6-7 wins. having Florida, Mizzou, and Kentucky at home certainly helps during SEC play, but none of those games are guaranteed. You would hope Vandy and Arkansas are wins given their current states. South Carolina is a toss up at this point. Gonna have to upset Florida, UGA, Bama, or OU in order to get at least 9 wins. 9 wins is doable, but it's best to temper expectations. 8 wins should be the goal with 9 wins or more being a huge success.

I predict we sweep our western division opponents, we win the eastern division games we have to win (SC, Vandy, KY, Mizzou) and we win one of the two others - either FL at home or GA on the road. That also means we will be in the hunt for the eastern division title. We may not win it, but we will be in the discussion late in the season.

I agree with OffTackleVol when he says he believes that Pruitt will never allow one of his teams to lose to an inferior team again. That was a lesson learned. A painful one for everyone to take, but an important lesson nonetheless. You can simply never take any game for granted.

If my prediction is accurate and we also beat the teams we are supposed to beat - Charlotte, Furman and Troy - then we have 10 wins. I'll say it now - 10 wins.

Pruitt is proving himself and I’ve been impressed after the way we started. That said, I wouldn’t expect 10-2 next year. Losing JJ and Calloway will be huge. How much Palmer, B Johnson, and Tillman step up will determine our success imo. I’m looking at 8-4
I was looking for 10-2 or 9-3 this year. I didn't know we had issues at QB. With that said, I am looking at 11-1 or 12-0 next year, because I am a fan(atic).

I'm thinking 9-3 tops and 8-4 is very realistic. We're still a couple of years away from regularly whooping GA, FLA and UA... It took us a few years to climb down off our ladder and it will take us a few years to climb back up to the top. Of course, we all knew this. Right??

GO VOLS!!!!

If Saban trusts him with his program he must be good. What am I missing?

1. Sal Sunseri
2. Derek Dooley
3. Butch Jones
4. Will Muschamp
5. Jim McElwain

All coaches that Saban trusts with his program that I wouldn't want near the Tennessee program.

And Bama thing for me was like the USC tie for Kiffin. When a school is your heart and soul, like the Vols are for us, there is definitely a draw for a successful coach to return to that alma mater.

Last edited:
I do t think bama is out of the question next year. The defense I don’t think will be as good and who’s their QB going to be? I honestly like UTs chances at home next year.

Never understood the 'coach from Bama' thing. I get it they are a hated long time rival but why would you not want a coach from the current top program in CFB. If Saban trusts him with his program he must be good. Rivalries don't matter to coaches, its a job. What am I missing?

Sal Sunseri

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
Still... The Ga State game was the most inexplicable defensive performance that I've ever seen.

It was a freshmen laden team and I think the GAST players had more experience. Even at a lower division level, experience counts. And we aren't the only SEC that our arses kicked by a high school schoolyard bully team.

VN Store

Back