5star recruiting

I don't doubt that every word of that is true. Depending on the source you got it from originally but there may be a slant to it. It's a safe bet to assume that 80% of said 5* recruits went to teams that were already apart of a winning program rather than one in "rebuild" mode. In other words they went the easier route of maintaining vs the harder of making a difference. Thus eventually being drafted simply because their team helped them look better as most of their teams did in HS.

247 doesn't account a recruits situation. They don't stat drops on WRs (which severely hurts a qb as well). They don't evaluate a RBs/qbs o line to see if they are a better run blocking or pass blocking team. They don't evaluate qbs against one another to determine who is better until "The Opening". They simply look at hs highlight film, camps, overall team record and stats to post evaluations of everyone. Which is why they miss on players such as those listed above. That's like half the leagues best players if you don't count Kalil Mack (2*) or Tom Brady (unranked).

The answer is simple IMO. We don't need 5* players. We need a coaching staff that knows how to TRULY evaluate talent instead of those like Butch that simply stargazed.
that's not how the NFL works.

I don't doubt that every word of that is true. Depending on the source you got it from originally but there may be a slant to it.
I actually took Rivals' 5* list and compared it to the NFL draft lists. It wasn't hard. It just took a lot of time I'm not willing to invest again. Again, my memory isn't perfect but relative to each other those numbers are pretty close I believe.

It's a safe bet to assume that 80% of said 5* recruits went to teams that were already apart of a winning program rather than one in "rebuild" mode. In other words they went the easier route of maintaining vs the harder of making a difference. Thus eventually being drafted simply because their team helped them look better as most of their teams did in HS.
It factors. But I don't think it is as much as you think. Other than a few players with name power... NFL franchises do their own work. That's how they find no name WR's from DIII teams that become stars.

247 doesn't account a recruits situation. They don't stat drops on WRs (which severely hurts a qb as well). They don't evaluate a RBs/qbs o line to see if they are a better run blocking or pass blocking team. They don't evaluate qbs against one another to determine who is better until "The Opening". They simply look at hs highlight film, camps, overall team record and stats to post evaluations of everyone. Which is why they miss on players such as those listed above. That's like half the leagues best players if you don't count Kalil Mack (2*) or Tom Brady (unranked).
Maybe a little worse in addition to that... is they basically plagiarize by using the "who is recruiting them" and "is Bama recruiting them" standard. Bama like every other major program uses recruit research firms to evaluate HS players. Schools pay them pretty big money to create lists of players that the staff then evaluates. Indirectly, the fan recruiting sites "steal" the research of these firms.

The answer is simple IMO. We don't need 5* players. We need a coaching staff that knows how to TRULY evaluate talent instead of those like Butch that simply stargazed.
We need the best players Pruitt can find and sign regardless of their ranking.... then we need them to be developed, coached up, well disciplined, well managed, in a system that works and manages player health well.

Jones found some good players... he frustrated and made most of them worse with his "innovative" ideas about development and his ridiculous system.

Good coaches just win with the players they have. We have to win big first and then get the recruits. It doesnt work the other way around. Good players arent coming UNLESS we win.

So for 2020 we only have 4 and 3 star players. They may be good kids but if we ever want top 5 recruiting rankings to actually have a shot to beat the likes of Clemson, Bama, Georgia etc... Then we need to recruit some 5 star players or 5 star talent. When our back ups are 5 star athletes and as good as our starters then we will be back to out glory days.

I'm thinking your recollection of our glory days is from highlight reels.

I agree with the OP. Pruitt has said part of his recruiting strategy is systematically avoiding 5 star players and I don't agree with it.

He wants worker, not prima donnas. He can make a 5 star out of a 4 star that will commit to the work ethic. Can't do anything with a 5 star 18 year old that thinks he's all that.

Did you read the post? We want 5 stars who never even sniff the field here.

The fact that we aren't pulling 30-45 5 stars every year just goes to show what kind of scrub coaching staff we have here.

show me any team that pulls 30-45 5* recruits every year. Stupid.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
THis young man is a 3 star only because he had not been going to camps. Watch his rankings start to go up!

That I agree with. I've seen the sophomore son of a family friend go from obscurity to the #1 TE in the 2021 class with 19 D1 offers all coming after his soph season ended. How? His dad got him around to camps. Which got him invited to an all-star game around Houston. Which got him his first offer. Enter the radar screen. Within 4 months he had been flown to as many schools you can think of and bagged 19 d1 offers from every major blueblood and a #1 ranking.

that's not how the NFL works.
I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to understand what I meant. Most of the 5* recruits that choose teams based off of how much they are winning are in need of a team that wins to maintain their expectations.

I actually took Rivals' 5* list and compared it to the NFL draft lists. It wasn't hard. It just took a lot of time I'm not willing to invest again. Again, my memory isn't perfect but relative to each other those numbers are pretty close I believe.

It factors. But I don't think it is as much as you think. Other than a few players with name power... NFL franchises do their own work. That's how they find no name WR's from DIII teams that become stars.

Maybe a little worse in addition to that... is they basically plagiarize by using the "who is recruiting them" and "is Bama recruiting them" standard. Bama like every other major program uses recruit research firms to evaluate HS players. Schools pay them pretty big money to create lists of players that the staff then evaluates. Indirectly, the fan recruiting sites "steal" the research of these firms.

We need the best players Pruitt can find and sign regardless of their ranking.... then we need them to be developed, coached up, well disciplined, well managed, in a system that works and manages player health well.

Jones found some good players... he frustrated and made most of them worse with his "innovative" ideas about development and his ridiculous system.
Overall it sounds like we agree. It's not about ranking or stars. It's about finding the RIGHT guys no matter what 247 or rivals says.

There are way too many variables that make it nearly impossible to get a true rank or "whos better than who". And I understand.... there's not enough time in a year to truly evaluate every senior at every position throughout the entire country. It just simply can't be done.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to understand what I meant. Most of the 5* recruits that choose teams based off of how much they are winning are in need of a team that wins to maintain their expectations.
I got it. That still has nothing to do with the NFL

DBL post.

Non Vol fan said:
Vol fans may have to come to the realization that we may never regain the swagger that we had in the 90's
Some Vol fans need to not be Vol fans, they are dragging down our swagger We are rebuilding !

I got it. That still has nothing to do with the NFL
It has everything to do with the NFL if you're able to maintain your hs dominance with the help of your college team being dominant. It improves your draft stock. Gets you recognized. You become a household name. Go to the college football playoff. Ext ext ext. Idk why you wouldn't believe that but I'm not here to convince you.
Take Trevor Lawrence for example. Had he come to UT instead do you think he takes UT to a NC game? Hell no. Why? Because he's only one player for starters. 2nd is he doesn't have near the success he does behind Clemens o line, receivers, defense. Idk how many Trevor fans are on here but if you payed attention to his games last season he isn't good under pressure. He loses his accuracy and makes mistakes. Why? Because he's not used to being pressured. His HS team was the equivalent of Clemson from a HS talent comparison.
There's not many people that would disagree at this point that he'll go pro. Put him at UT and his numbers are not the same. Therefore many less with the same opinion.

So for 2020 we only have 4 and 3 star players. They may be good kids but if we ever want top 5 recruiting rankings to actually have a shot to beat the likes of Clemson, Bama, Georgia etc... Then we need to recruit some 5 star players or 5 star talent. When our back ups are 5 star athletes and as good as our starters then we will be back to out glory days.

Or.... Or.... Or..... 5 star hearts!!!

I agree 100%. 3 and 4 star athletes = 7-8 win seasons at most. Tennessee cannot recruit top players with brains.
Until this changes, it will be business as usual. 3-4 losses per season.

He wants worker, not prima donnas. He can make a 5 star out of a 4 star that will commit to the work ethic. Can't do anything with a 5 star 18 year old that thinks he's all that.

Are you saying he wants some 5* heart?

what does having a top 5 recruiting class get you?

VN Store

Back