5star recruiting

I agree with the OP. Pruitt has said part of his recruiting strategy is systematically avoiding 5 star players and I don't agree with it.

Well, there are only 32 five stars in each class. Whenever they update them and one gets rated higher, the lowest rated one becomes a four star.

So for 2020 we only have 4 and 3 star players. They may be good kids but if we ever want top 5 recruiting rankings to actually have a shot to beat the likes of Clemson, Bama, Georgia etc... Then we need to recruit some 5 star players or 5 star talent. When our back ups are 5 star athletes and as good as our starters then we will be back to out glory days.
tenor.gif

I think Pruitt was not happy with the recruiting last year. In fact, best I remember he stated such. He knows he need to raise the bar to be equal with Bama and the Dogs. Texas A&M is starting to do a great job on recruiting. The state of Tenn has more great players then years before. We really need to keep the TN guys at home!!!

I would recommend everyone that feels like we NEED 5* recruits to google "3* players in pro bowl". You may be shocked at what you see.
-AR12
-Matt Ryan
-Dak Prescott
-Arron Donald
-Akib Talib

It goes on and on at every position.
The list is quite impressive and may even change your mind because
It'll also show you the recruiting services are actually wrong more than they are right. What we need is the right body types, motor and ability to fit what we need. Who cares what 247s opinions are? This team has been getting drilled for the better part of a decade and there are those that think the answer is simply listen to 247? Hell naw! I say listen to the coaches that actually EVALUATED these players and their abilities in person because their jobs depend on it, Watched a game personally instead of a recruiting service that truthfully has no idea about a kid they have never seen. We put WAYYYY too much trust into pencil pushers that most have never even played the game.

Well 17 of the top 25 teams last year had 10 or better wins, 5 of those being SEC schools. So yeah 10 win seasons are pretty attainable.

The key is "sustainable". The post I referred to said sustain 10 win seasons..... Not one or two 10 win seasons in a row as many of the teams you refer to have or will accomplish.

I would recommend everyone that feels like we NEED 5* recruits to google "3* players in pro bowl". You may be shocked at what you see.
-AR12
-Matt Ryan
-Dak Prescott
-Arron Donald
-Akib Talib

It goes on and on at every position.
The list is quite impressive and may even change your mind because
It'll also show you the recruiting services are actually wrong more than they are right. What we need is the right body types, motor and ability to fit what we need. Who cares what 247s opinions are? This team has been getting drilled for the better part of a decade and there are those that think the answer is simply listen to 247? Hell naw! I say listen to the coaches that actually EVALUATED these players and their abilities in person because their jobs depend on it, Watched a game personally instead of a recruiting service that truthfully has no idea about a kid they have never seen. We put WAYYYY too much trust into pencil pushers that most have never even played the game.
It has been a while since I had these numbers but I did some work looking at this.

Roughly 50% of the relative few that earned a Rivals 5* rating at that point ended up being drafted in a 5 year or so period. So you can say that's pretty accurate. The others performed at lesser levels for a variety of reasons to include injuries and things Rivals couldn't predict. A good number... were just not that good.

Significantly less, call it maybe 20%, of 4* players were drafted.

IIRC, only a few percent of 3* and below players were drafted. Again working off memory maybe around 2%. But they give a LOT of 3* ratings. I believe in those years about half of the NFL draft was made up of former 3* players. Essentially they miss about as many "5* players" as they find... but the 3* players who are actually 5* talents constitute less than 5% of all 3* recruits.

You can win by finding underrated guys on a consistent basis... but your better statistical bet is getting your share of the 4/5* players too.

Or you can adjust what you are doing to mesh with the talent you have. Scheme can overcome a lot of things when executed well. You can't do anything about a lack of speed except to execute flawlessly.

It has been a while since I had these numbers but I did some work looking at this.

Roughly 50% of the relative few that earned a Rivals 5* rating at that point ended up being drafted in a 5 year or so period. So you can say that's pretty accurate. The others performed at lesser levels for a variety of reasons to include injuries and things Rivals couldn't predict. A good number... were just not that good.

Significantly less, call it maybe 20%, of 4* players were drafted.

IIRC, only a few percent of 3* and below players were drafted. Again working off memory maybe around 2%. But they give a LOT of 3* ratings. I believe in those years about half of the NFL draft was made up of former 3* players. Essentially they miss about as many "5* players" as they find... but the 3* players who are actually 5* talents constitute less than 5% of all 3* recruits.

You can win by finding underrated guys on a consistent basis... but your better statistical bet is getting your share of the 4/5* players too.
I don't doubt that every word of that is true. Depending on the source you got it from originally but there may be a slant to it. It's a safe bet to assume that 80% of said 5* recruits went to teams that were already apart of a winning program rather than one in "rebuild" mode. In other words they went the easier route of maintaining vs the harder of making a difference. Thus eventually being drafted simply because their team helped them look better as most of their teams did in HS.

247 doesn't account a recruits situation. They don't stat drops on WRs (which severely hurts a qb as well). They don't evaluate a RBs/qbs o line to see if they are a better run blocking or pass blocking team. They don't evaluate qbs against one another to determine who is better until "The Opening". They simply look at hs highlight film, camps, overall team record and stats to post evaluations of everyone. Which is why they miss on players such as those listed above. That's like half the leagues best players if you don't count Kalil Mack (2*) or Tom Brady (unranked).

The answer is simple IMO. We don't need 5* players. We need a coaching staff that knows how to TRULY evaluate talent instead of those like Butch that simply stargazed.

VN Store

Back