$50K for University of Texas 2.0 lineman in epic NIL deal

Mose Phillip's Watch

University of Texas getting it done for their players. While I like players getting some money. It so unevens the game is sickening

Screenshot_20211206-171422_ESPN.jpg

I enjoyed eating there on my last trip to Dallas. Won’t eat there again.

This.. I'm afraid the real UT has some catching up to do..

Basilio was discussing this, and indicated a group of boosters has become frustrated with the lack of progress by the AD and are setting up an initial fund themselves.

Given the organic support for Tennessee football, I doubt we stay dead in the water for much longer.

Basilio was discussing this, and indicated a group of boosters has become frustrated with the lack of progress by the AD and are setting up an initial fund themselves.

Given the organic support for Tennessee football, I doubt we stay dead in the water for much longer.
Why? Because they've (boosters and AD) been so "able" to fix things so far?

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Why? Because they've (boosters and AD) been so "able" to fix things so far?
This. With our track record, they will either screw it up and commit major violations or they'll wind up fighting among themselves for who gets control and we'll wind up paying NIL money to guys who transfer out as soon as the check clears. This needs to be a coordinated effort with one person running the show.

This. With our track record, they will either screw it up and commit major violations or they'll wind up fighting among themselves for who gets control and we'll wind up paying NIL money to guys who transfer out as soon as the check clears. This needs to be a coordinated effort with one person running the show.
I think it's more of a priorities issue at the level where things actually get done. Also, they don't appear to understand just how huge an asset a top tier football program would be to Tennessee.

I don't think it is all, but it only takes a small amount of key players to be "rowing in the wrong direction" to gum the whole thing up.

It's more money than that and they ain't gettin' their money's worth. So very Texas of them.

Sooner (no pun intended) or later NIL will fall flat on it's face.

It will be hard for Texas to stay in the cellar when cruits see that 150-200k #. That's a massive recruiting advantage.

Reactions: hog88
Ok, I spent time trying to understand what the snapshot in the OP didn't clarify for me and am down with the cynicism but probably for different reasons than most. Looks like they are paying $50K per scholarship lineman to conduct charity appearances and awareness campaigns of their choosing to have a positive impact on their community. Seems like the $800K or so would better serve the community by funding it directly to the charities and not on advertising which this appears to be. Ultimately, NIL is just advertising anyway but muddying the water with it being charity based seems worse - true charity should come from giving not selling.

I don't see where the $150K per player comes from in the other Twitter "news" posted here.

Horns with Heart Announces $800,000 Sponsorship for Texas Longhorn Offensive Line Beginning in 2022

The student athletes will be compensated for using their NIL to make charitable appearances and bring awareness to worthy causes that impact their local communities.

That's what it looks like to me also; it's a salary. I posted that earlier but I think a bunch of posts were deleted to refocus the thread. The 150k per player does not make sense and might just be an error from somebody who didn't read. The budget is $800,000 so if some of the guys get more than $50,000 then it doesn't cover 16 people.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
That's what it looks like to me also; it's a salary. I posted that earlier but I think a bunch of posts were deleted to refocus the thread. The 150k per player does not make sense and might just be an error from somebody who didn't read. The budget is $800,000 so if some of the guys get more than $50,000 then it doesn't cover 16 people.
Clark Field Collective pledged 10 mil for Texas athletics just the other day. The 150 is for all collective NIL deals.

VN Store

Back