5 Reasons Why Tennessee Will Make a Bowl Game in 2019

Path to being bowl eligible...sweeping OOC @ 4-0 and going 2-3 against MSU, SC, KY, MZ, Vandy...ugh...how far we've fallen. IF we can get to the Bama game at 4-3, then I'm fairly confident some of the frosh, especially on OL will begin to gel...would be nice to make November our month again.

If this team can't win 6 games with this schedule, we have a major coaching issue....

Or JG gets hurt. 1 injury away from things being real scary. And imagine if Solomon isn't eligible. Trey can't play. This team just isn't very deep and scary along both trenches. I'll be fine with 6. Estatic with 7.

....and since we don't................................

We hope. But we have a 2nd year HC. 1st time DC. At the top of the pyramid we are fairly unproven. Luckily we have Chaney, Tee, and a lot of position coaches with plenty of experience. But games are won and lost on the HC. Pruitt is still in his early years. Learning and growing and there will be pains as we all said there would be, and have been so far.

Or JG gets hurt. 1 injury away from things being real scary. And imagine if Solomon isn't eligible. Trey can't play. This team just isn't very deep and scary along both trenches. I'll be fine with 6. Estatic with 7.

Fair point on the QB injury. Absent that injury, we will be favored in all 4 OOC games, will have 3 winnable home games, a game against a team that has only beaten us twice in the last 30 years, and a team with Dooley coordinator/significantly lower recruiting rankings. Heck we should have had 6 last year before the team flat out quit on the coach...

Reactions: ftsandersvol
If players quit again, that's not 100% on them.....
I differ in opinion. It’s their mentality and a coach can’t change that in a kid. If you noticed Pruitt is recruiting kids from the neck up as much as he is from the neck down regardless of stars. There’s a reason for that. People would be surprised if they seen the true makeup of most of these 4/5* players. A lot of them tend to quit when/if they are overmatched.

I differ in opinion. It’s their mentality and a coach can’t change that in a kid. If you noticed Pruitt is recruiting kids from the neck up as much as he is from the neck down regardless of stars. There’s a reason for that. People would be surprised if they seen the true makeup of most of these 4/5* players. A lot of them tend to quit when/if they are overmatched.

I'd buy that last year but if after 2 years the culture is still where players want to quit en masse (like the Vandy and Mizzou games), a significant part of that falls on the coach. The 2019 roster will have 45-50 Pruitt signees, walk ons, and transfers so it's not fully Butch scholly players remaining.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
If players quit again, that's not 100% on them.....

We still have some depth issues, so if a player “quits”, it is 100% on them.

I am sure CJP already has an idea what returning players might fall into this category and has heavily recruited their replacements. The question is will the recruits be developed enough by September to make sure the “quitters” never see the field.

I'd buy that last year but if after 2 years the culture is still where players want to quit en masse (like the Vandy and Mizzou games), a significant part of that falls on the coach. The 2019 roster will have 45-50 Pruitt signees, walk ons, and transfers so it's not fully Butch scholly players remaining.
Yes but they are in the developmental stage of college football. In 2019 (if someone decided to do the math) I’m sure the teams starters make up 75% of Butch recruits. I just feel it’s unfair to judge Pruitt before he’s completed a full cycle of 4 yrs.

I am sure CJP already has an idea what returning players might fall into this category and has heavily recruited their replacements. The question is will the recruits be developed enough by September to make sure the “quitters” never see the field.

If 1 player quits, that's 100% on them. If dozens quit like the Vandy and Mizzou games last year, there's blame to go around...

Barring some butch jones type season with 20+ significant injuries, I expect us to win 7-9 games.

Of course that means we will win more than our fair share of close games (BYU, MissSt, SCAR, KY, Mizzou, Vandy and perhaps UAB). A major upset (Florida/Georgia) would certainly help too.

If the butch players haven't entered the transfer portal by now, then they have probably bought into CJP's System and are fully vetted team players, striving to do the best that they can according to their capabilities.

Reactions: livefaith
Sad thing is we used to get ticked if we won only eight games in a year. But, since Dooley’s 6-6 campaign, we’ve been just tickled to make a bowl!

Hopefully we win 10 games and CJP lets everyone know that 10 wins isn't good enuff!

11+ wins and a team trip to the "Martha White" Cornbread Factory! Aight!

VN Store

Back