5 keys to beat Ole Miss

It's going to be whether our offense can score more points than the defense will give up. Corral isn't going to be stopped; the best hope is that he can be slowed down.
The more I think about these two teams, and their strengths and weaknesses, and how the game might flow, I'm really starting to feel confident that the team who forces a couple of turnovers will walk away with the W.

I mean, I know that's not Nostradamus level insight, it's a big part of any game's calculus.

But in this particular case, the two teams balance out so perfectly evenly, and things are going to flow so fast, and the points are going to be so potentially big...well, I originally thought whoever has the ball last wins. But now I'm thinking it will be decided potentially earlier than that, with one team claiming a lead via turnovers, and racing with it to the 0:00 finish line.

So now I think turnover advantage is _the_ key to this game.

Go Vols! Be Opportunistic!

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
#5. Getting players back from injury. It appears that we are full go minus Mitchell who is out for the year. Training staff will earn their pay checks this week. They need that soccer spray ready for Evans ankle and Small's shoulder.

#4. Must be able to get pressure with our front 4 especially late in the game. Containing their QB is a must do especially on 3rd down. We will play more zone on the back end I suspect to keep an eye on the QB so pressure is the only thing that speeds up his decisions. Give him 5 seconds and he will find someone open.

#3. O line must hold up early and often. Our offense sets up big plays very well. It's critical that the O line holds up so Hooker can take the shots down field when the opportunity arises.

#2. Coaches must not out coach themselves. What USCe did in their goalline against us that lead to our INT must NOT be duplicated by our staff this week. Run the ball often. The Rebel run defense is not their strength.

#1. Get off the field on 3rd down ESPECIALLY early in the game. Our defense is better but that only remains an advantage if they are rested. Come the 4th quarter these guys will be digging deep just because of lack of depth. If we can make it to the 4th with enough gas in the tank to finish the race we have a damn good shot of winning.

Go Vols
#4 is a must. If we can only bring 4 and get pressure we’re gonna be in good shape. I’m afraid if we have to rely on the blitz Corral will be able to pick us apart.

#5. Getting players back from injury. It appears that we are full go minus Mitchell who is out for the year. Training staff will earn their pay checks this week. They need that soccer spray ready for Evans ankle and Small's shoulder.
Agree. IMO, Heupel and the staff have managed some of these guys and knew they could beat MU and USCe without them. Now I hope we can keep them healthy for the next 4 weeks. Managing through to the bye week may be extremely important.

#4. Must be able to get pressure with our front 4 especially late in the game. Containing their QB is a must do especially on 3rd down. We will play more zone on the back end I suspect to keep an eye on the QB so pressure is the only thing that speeds up his decisions. Give him 5 seconds and he will find someone open.
I think limiting their run game is job #1. Arkansas actually did a reasonable job of limiting their passing game. They had a couple of busts that accounted for about half OM's passing yardage. Their top two WR's had only 4 catches between them... but both had long TD's on secondary breakdowns.

UT faces almost a mirror image of their own O.

OM and Arkansas ran right over each others' D. Arkansas had 350 yds rushing while OM had 324. Jefferson actually had a better day throwing than Corral.

UT's strength on D has been run D. On O, UT needs to keep doing what its done... because run D isn't OM's strength. They're 12th in the SEC ahead of Vandy and MU.

#3. O line must hold up early and often. Our offense sets up big plays very well. It's critical that the O line holds up so Hooker can take the shots down field when the opportunity arises.

#2. Coaches must not out coach themselves. What USCe did in their goalline against us that lead to our INT must NOT be duplicated by our staff this week. Run the ball often. The Rebel run defense is not their strength.
Good points. I think to a degree UT "outcoached" themselves vs UF. They didn't run as much tempo because they didn't want to expose their D to UF's run game. They should have just played their game.

#1. Get off the field on 3rd down ESPECIALLY early in the game. Our defense is better but that only remains an advantage if they are rested. Come the 4th quarter these guys will be digging deep just because of lack of depth. If we can make it to the 4th with enough gas in the tank to finish the race we have a damn good shot of winning.

Go Vols
UT is 2nd in the nation and 1st in the SEC in TFL's. Putting Ole Miss behind the sticks will help them get off the field like you say.

Go Vols

The fast-paced offense was the main key to victory over Mizzou and SC, imo. Neither team had an answer for it.

It's going to be whether our offense can score more points than the defense will give up. Corral isn't going to be stopped; the best hope is that he can be slowed down.
that's true but maybe in a different way than you're thinking. Arkansas blew coverage 3 times. Two went for TD's and the other set up a score. Those three blown coverages account for 194 of Corral's 287 yds. Otherwise he was a very "human" 11 for 18 with 93 yds and no TD's.

What really hurt Arkansas was when he ran. He had 94 yds and kept them off balance all day. He kept them from blitzing by getting through the LOS with DB backs turned to him while in man coverage.

I think the Bama formula is what you have to try. Limit him running and their RB's then take away his "tools" in the passing game as best you can.

Ole Miss plays about as fast as we do (maybe a little faster). Given our defense goes up against our offense every practice, their speed should not be as effective as it is against other teams. Of course, our guys will still need to be lined up correctly in time for the snap. On plays where Ole Miss runs slower we will need to disguise our defense just enough to bait Corral into throwing the ball where we want him to. I'm predicting we pick off at least two of his passes, and hopefully at least one pick six.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
The fast-paced offense was the main key to victory over Mizzou and SC, imo. Neither team had an answer for it.
It was half of that equation.

Heupel intentionally spreads the field. He lines his WR's up wider than most... maybe all. If he can hit those RPO screens to the outside receiver and some shots over the top then that opens up the run game and middle of the field (UT hasn't taken full advantage there yet). His scheme simplifies things by giving the opposing D a no win choice.... load the box and get a steady dose of 5-10 yd pick ups on the outside or give help to outside receivers and open up run lanes.

Swing and a miss.

It is the turnover margin.
There may not be any. Corral hasn't thrown a pick. Hooker has thrown 1. UT hasn't had a turnover since TTU. Ole Miss leads the conference in TO margin and has only lost 3 fumbles all year.

If I were going to watch one stat alone... it would be TFL's by UT. If UT is playing in their backfield regularly then it disrupts what they do on O at least somewhat

It was half of that equation.

Heupel intentionally spreads the field. He lines his WR's up wider than most... maybe all. If he can hit those RPO screens to the outside receiver and some shots over the top then that opens up the run game and middle of the field (UT hasn't taken full advantage there yet). His scheme simplifies things by giving the opposing D a no win choice.... load the box and get a steady dose of 5-10 yd pick ups on the outside or give help to outside receivers and open up run lanes.

Well stated.

that's true but maybe in a different way than you're thinking. Arkansas blew coverage 3 times. Two went for TD's and the other set up a score. Those three blown coverages account for 194 of Corral's 287 yds. Otherwise he was a very "human" 11 for 18 with 93 yds and no TD's.

What really hurt Arkansas was when he ran. He had 94 yds and kept them off balance all day. He kept them from blitzing by getting through the LOS with DB backs turned to him while in man coverage.

I think the Bama formula is what you have to try. Limit him running and their RB's then take away his "tools" in the passing game as best you can.

I agree with this. Focus on stopping the run and the broken plays. Don't let Corral get out of the pocket. He can and probably will shred us to some degree with his arm, but I would commit to rushing 4 and keep him contained whatever it takes. We need to make them one-dimensional.

On the flip side, for us, I would start testing their corners deep right from the start. If we can hit a big pass on the first series, their corners will start playing off which will open the screen passes and the run game.

Reactions: sjt18
There may not be any. Corral hasn't thrown a pick. Hooker has thrown 1. UT hasn't had a turnover since TTU. Ole Miss leads the conference in TO margin and has only lost 3 fumbles all year.

If I were going to watch one stat alone... it would be TFL's by UT. If UT is playing in their backfield regularly then it disrupts what they do on O at least somewhat

Two high scoring offenses are comparable to a tennis match, you have to hold serve, once you don’t the score can get ugly looking real quick.

Will be turnovers, perhaps in the form of failed 4th down conversions.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Two high scoring offenses are comparable to a tennis match, you have to hold serve, once you don’t the score can get ugly looking real quick.

Corral threw 6 pics against Arky last year. He’s better this year, but if we can get up on them early and force him to try to do too much to get back in it, we may get a pic or two

I can buy that... and both teams are pretty good at those too. OM is 75%. UT is 54% but 6 of their last 9.

Hard not to see this as two different seasons- the one before HH and the one after.

giphy.gif

bvn.gif

Need to put that final nail in the coffin of Matt Corral's Heisman ambitions this Saturday. Finish off what 'Bama started.

And MAN is he doing a great job! I've never been more impressed with a coordinator than I am with Tim Banks. We don't have any stars on defense but as a unit they've been outstanding. That whole defensive staff may be the best defensive staff we've ever had.

I should have said effective pressure. Missed tackles could result in first downs and touchdowns.

VN Store

Back