5 assistant hires that got a Vols head coach fired

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character
Hasn't Trooper Taylor sort of vanished from the collective radar screen? I'm not buying that he would have been a slam-dunk hire in '08.
So many worried about Kiffin possibly being a problem with the NCAA, yet they hoped like hell Trooper would be a coordinator and he couldn’t be allowed to even stay on the road recruiting at Auburn . Somehow he is now on Cut’s staff.

I never saw his worth as an x’s and o’s guy.

GVF

Absolut Orange
Fulmer giving Sanders the OC job and sticking with him when it was obvious to the rest of the world he was over his head was worse than his Clawson debacle.

I may not have known enough at the time to know if Sanders actually knew what he was doing, but I always did think then that sanders was a good OC mind that was just hand cuffed by Fulmer. Dunno. But, Sanders seems to have done well in all his positions elsewhere.

Are you serious? Look at Butch's staff in 2017. And don't forget, Shoop coming to UT was universally seen as a huge win for UT in 2016. Butch could've made a bigger hire with the OC but to say no one would come to UT is just wrong. Brady Hoke joining the staff was another high-profile coach on the staff.

Dooley's OC was Jim Cheney...you know the guy who is back at UT. His DC hire would've been Steele, IMO, hadn't Clemson giving up 70 points in the Orange Bowl to W. VA. Using a single game to determine whether a guy can play/coach, etc. is wrong, IMO.
Should have hired Steele anyway. Coaches have off days. You can’t win them all

Amazing how much I dislike Butch Jones. He won exactly 1 SEC game during his time here without Josh Dobbs. He had Sam Pittman wanting to stay yet let him go for Don Mahoney. After the 2015 season where we almost won in Tuscaloosa, Bama says we were the toughest most physical team they faced. He then proceeds to run off Dave Lawson and hire Mike Szerchen who is now a trainer at a high school in Minnesota.
Well said

XknoxvolsX

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
The offense's bad performance in 2008 was just the proximate cause of Phil's firing. The program had been slipping ever since 2001 because Richt, Urban, and Saban among others started eating Phil's lunch on the recruiting trail. You don't get fired because of one bad OC hire.

Phil's decline was a long, slow slip into mediocrity, not something that happened overnight.
Exactly!!!

butchna

Sit down and tell me all about it...way over there
If totally accurate, that was sobering. After the fact we now know the extent of the mess Butch oversaw. But if Helfrich was truly interested in signing up and installing a pure spread, and Butch balked because he needed a puppet to run that slow developing pro concept garbage he refused to tinker with? Nothing redeemable imo. Will always believe that DeBord had an agreement to implement the offset I into the offense...which would have benefitted Hurd, Kamara and Kelly. Defenders wouldn’t have been able to tee off on Hurd and Kamara would have been devastating running out of both sets with the defense off balance. They ran it 2-3 times during the season and no more. That’s why DeBord “retired” and took the Indiana OC job a month later imo. Butch had more than enough chances to get it right but he couldn’t overcome his nature.

VN Store

Sponsors