4 Lady Vols earn SEC Awards

Well deserved recognition for Rae Burrell and Tamari Key in particular. Rennia was a given, but I'm glad Key is recognized for her disruptiveness on defense, and Rae for her vast improvements from her first two seasons. Hats off to Marta for recognition even with an injury plagued year.

Or Khayla Pointer switch teams for them because everything else seems to go by success of team...

Shakira Austin made first team. Like Khayla, it would be hard to leave her off despite the fact that Ole Miss was below the mid-point of the standings.

Remember when we weren’t getting any awards ?

I actually don't. Tennessee has routinely had players in the first/second team, all defensive team and freshmen team. Rennia has been there for like three years straight, before her it was Jaime Nared, Diamond, Mercedes, Bashaara, Izzy, Cierra, Meighan. I can't think of a year where they didn't have at least 1 player on the first/second team.

I said the other day, Re will not be POY bc of Rae. Now Rae is not 1st team All SEC bc of Re, Weren't going to be two LVs on first team, and Sr. Re is the obvious choice. If there's a most improved SEC player, that's Rae in a landslide.

The next award I want an LV to get is Jordan Horston as MVP of the SEC tourney.

Joni Taylor SEC Coach of the year?????

that award was Gary Blair hands down lol they must have picked some of these awards in the dark.

Identity politics rears it's ugly head. There was no way that they were going to give this award to a man, and with the attention they were giving to the # of black female coaches in the league, it was obvious that the winner was coming from that pool. It would have been Dawn, but since she underachieved, then Joni had the strongest case amongst that group.

hell even Kellie Harper made a case for COY award...Joni most impressive wins were against us all 1 possession games... she couldnt beat MS State,SC,UK,TAMU,LSU and some of those losses werent close

Identity politics rears it's ugly head. There was no way that they were going to give this award to a man, and with the attention they were giving to the # of black female coaches in the league, it was obvious that the winner was coming from that pool. It would have been Dawn, but since she underachieved, then Joni had the strongest case amongst that group.
OK, I wondered if that was it. Thought maybe him being 75 might help his case.

hell even Kellie Harper made a case for COY award...Joni most impressive wins were against us all 1 possession games... she couldnt beat MS State,SC,UK,TAMU,LSU and some of those losses werent close

Kellie would have been my 2nd choice behind Gary, but my guess is that she was not considered for reasons similar to Gary.

OK, I wondered if that was it. Thought maybe him being 75 might help his case.

Maybe in another year, but this year, I think it was clear what their criteria was for COY.

Play that victim card.

Reactions: dapeak and Lucy

VN Store

Back