#4 Florida vs #21 Texas A&M

Not sure if you’re serious or not but yes, shoot them on site. I’ve actually had to do that.

Very serious. Moving to Florida soon, don't want my dog eaten. Just wondering how common it is to see them in the yard.

Reactions: Jaws
Very serious. Moving to Florida soon, don't want my dog eaten. Just wondering how common it is to see them in the yard.

They’re very territorial, it’s best to get rid of them or they will make a home right where they wish, especially if there is access to plenty of food (fish, birds, snakes, small animals, etc). I have property on the Nassau River in Jax (mostly salt but some brackish) we had to shoot a 6-footer about a year ago. I gave him a few days to move along but he was lurking in the same spot for several days, just as contended as he could be. That’s not good for a family with pets or small children, and the bigger he gets, it’s not good for anyone. Same thing applies to freshwater areas.

Odd thing is, when I grew up in Florida in the 80’s, alligators were endangered, we never saw them. We swam in all sorts of rivers, lakes and ponds and they were a nonissue. But they’ve made one helluva strong comeback. I’ve seen them at my property and we’ve pulled several from retaining ponds around my business. They’re everywhere. Shoot them, or call someone to come relocate. They’re not something to be screwed with, and not something you wanna share your land or space with, in my opinion. And yes, I advocate using what you can of the Gator if you kill it (gator meat is excellent). I’m not talented enough to make Gator skin boots/wallets/belts or anything, but there are plenty of people who are. Good luck. 👍🏼

Reactions: sona
They’re very territorial, it’s best to get rid of them or they will make a home right where they wish, especially if there is access to plenty of food (fish, birds, snakes, small animals, etc). I have property on the Nassau River in Jax (mostly salt but some brackish) we had to shoot a 6-footer about a year ago. I gave him a few days to move along but he was lurking in the same spot for several days, just as contended as he could be. That’s not good for a family with pets or small children, and the bigger he gets, it’s not good for anyone. Same thing applies to freshwater areas.

Odd thing is, when I grew up in Florida in the 80’s, alligators were endangered, we never saw them. We swam in all sorts of rivers, lakes and ponds and they were a nonissue. But they’ve made one helluva strong comeback. I’ve seen them at my property and we’ve pulled several from retaining ponds around my business. They’re everywhere. Shoot them, or call someone to come relocate. They’re not something to be screwed with, and not something you wanna share your land or space with, in my opinion. And yes, I advocate using what you can of the Gator if you kill it (gator meat is excellent). I’m not talented enough to make Gator skin boots/wallets/belts or anything, but there are plenty of people who are. Good luck. 👍🏼

Awesome thanks for the info, appreciated. Btw I refuse to believe that Florida has black bears. I know ya'll hung up the signs on the interstates but I am doubtful. If you do, at least I am used to those. Cheers, thanks.

I agree with the above. Living on the other side of Florida outside of Tampa, they are very common near the water. Show up in our retaining pond often. Usually smaller than six feet. Our neighborhood association calls someone to trap them when reported. There are also a lot of venomous snakes around.

Awesome thanks for the info, appreciated. Btw I refuse to believe that Florida has black bears. I know ya'll hung up the signs on the interstates but I am doubtful. If you do, at least I am used to those. Cheers, thanks.

Actually there is a pretty good sized population of black bears in N. Fl. Unlike their Tenn. cousins, they don’t hibernate. Just slow down activity in winter.

Reactions: sona and Jaws

😂 I’ve never seen a black bear in Florida but they say they’re out there.. And although I’ve never seen one, people swear they’ve seen black panthers. Plenty of bobcats and coyotes, they’ll eat your dogs and cats, but they’re scared of people.

There are also a lot of venomous snakes around.

The venomous snakes are what keep me skittish and freaked out. I do not like snakes. And I don’t take time to figure out pupils and head shape and all that. You can usually see gators coming and avoid areas where you’re vulnerable or blind to them, but a rattlesnake or moccasin or copperhead could literally be crawled up under your garbage can or in your tall grass, camouflaged on a tree branch or beside some leaves. Invest in snake boots when doing yard work. It’s a good idea to keep a manicured lawn and don’t have a bunch of extraneous piles of stuff laying around (wood, branches, overgrown shrubs, junk, etc and you’ll be good.

Reactions: OldandStillaVol
The venomous snakes are what keep me skittish and freaked out. I do not like snakes. And I don’t take time to figure out pupils and head shape and all that. You can usually see gators coming and avoid areas where you’re vulnerable or blind to them, but a rattlesnake or moccasin or copperhead could literally be crawled up under your garbage can or in your tall grass, camouflaged on a tree branch or beside some leaves. Invest in snake boots when doing yard work. It’s a good idea to keep a manicured lawn and don’t have a bunch of extraneous piles of stuff laying around (wood, branches, overgrown shrubs, junk, etc and you’ll be good.

If you smell cucumbers and are not eating a salad...copperhead! Pretty sure I have the "red after yeller, kill a feller" thing lodged in my brain backwards so likely a dead man walking.

Gators, snakes, bobcats, bears, and jaguars aside, I love the state of Florida and the relentless heat. Looking forward to the move!

It’s been a rough year at the Slice house so my time has been limited.
But I feel it’s important to take a moment and remind the Gators here that Mullin will always lose at least one game a year that he shouldn’t. That’s why he won’t win championships. He seems to be trying a new strategy of getting it out of the way early this year.

But I feel it’s important to take a moment and remind the Gators here that Mullin will always lose at least one game a year that he shouldn’t. That’s why he won’t win championships. He seems to be trying a new strategy of getting it out of the way early this year.
Nite 2.JPG

If you smell cucumbers and are not eating a salad...copperhead! Pretty sure I have the "red after yeller, kill a feller" thing lodged in my brain backwards so likely a dead man walking.

Gators, snakes, bobcats, bears, and jaguars aside, I love the state of Florida and the relentless heat. Looking forward to the move!

I always remember like this: if the two bright colors touch, then it is poisonous. I will say, however, that I don't kill coral snakes. I've found them to be quite docile and seclusive. They just want to get away if you stumble upon one.

I never heard the link between cucumbers and copperheads. At my place they are always hiding under things. I've never dealt with cottonmouths, but I hear they are aggressive.

I always remember like this: if the two bright colors touch, then it is poisonous. I will say, however, that I don't kill coral snakes. I've found them to be quite docile and seclusive. They just want to get away if you stumble upon one.

I never heard the link between cucumbers and copperheads. At my place they are always hiding under things. I've never dealt with cottonmouths, but I hear they are aggressive.

The cucumber / copperhead thing is debatable I guess. They can emit a musk that smells like cucumbers, but if you are close enough to smell it you probably are close enough to be bitten. I swim a lot in the mountain rivers, sometimes loaded with tourists. The northern water snake must think it is the most badass snake in existence, because its presence will empty a swimming hole in record time. Probably confused why everyone calls it a copperhead though as they exit the water.

I will remember the coral snake bit, bright colors touching and I'll stay away. Worried about my hillbilly daughter though who will catch anything that slithers being in Florida.

Slice is right again!

Anyone want to guess Second Place Danny's record of reaching the SEC Championship Game? 0-12

The cucumber / copperhead thing is debatable I guess. They can emit a musk that smells like cucumbers, but if you are close enough to smell it you probably are close enough to be bitten. I swim a lot in the mountain rivers, sometimes loaded with tourists. The northern water snake must think it is the most badass snake in existence, because its presence will empty a swimming hole in record time. Probably confused why everyone calls it a copperhead though as they exit the water.

I will remember the coral snake bit, bright colors touching and I'll stay away. Worried about my hillbilly daughter though who will catch anything that slithers being in Florida.

It's been cold the times I have come across a copperhead. They didn't have time to do much of anything, thankfully. We also have hog-nose snakes and some have coloration that is close to a copperhead. Florida may also have the Timer Rattlesnake (Eastern Diamondback?). They are protected here, so you can't kill them.
If you are moving to a populated area, then you probably won't see any coral snakes. I used to see coral snake around my house, but I don't see them anymore. I think they dislike the activity.
Anyway, when I see your avatar, I think to myself "F-off. I got work to do."

It's been cold the times I have come across a copperhead. They didn't have time to do much of anything, thankfully. We also have hog-nose snakes and some have coloration that is close to a copperhead. Florida may also have the Timer Rattlesnake (Eastern Diamondback?). They are protected here, so you can't kill them.
If you are moving to a populated area, then you probably won't see any coral snakes. I used to see coral snake around my house, but I don't see them anymore. I think they dislike the activity.
Anyway, when I see your avatar, I think to myself "F-off. I got work to do."

Haha, you nailed it on the avatar. My favorite character from the show minus Ray.

VN Store

Back