'20 TX DB Chris Thompson Jr.

IMO, UT won 3 games with a roster good enough to have won 7. I agree UT needs talent and depth of talent. But coaching that gets the current talent up close to their potential is where it has to start. If they can't do that... they probably aren't getting a lot more talent.

These are the facts. We need CJH to do with football what CRB did with hoops- develop talent and prove we belong with blue bloods. Gotta be top 15 before top 5. We can get there with good development- our recruiting has always been top 20, at least.

I think the transfer portal with immediate eligibility is really going to help stable teams and hinder unstable teams. So, for football, the portal and immediate eligibility will hurt UT, but, for basketball, they should help. Right now, Auburn and UT are both unstable football programs and so I think it will hurt UT more than it will help UT - although we have picked up the Texas LB, the USC DT, and are in on some other good options as well.

Just another way to make the rich richer while hiding behind the “it’s whats best for the kids” cloud.

Reactions: BondJamesBond
From 247Sports:

Auburn safety Chris Thompson Jr. entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, 247Sports sources have confirmed. He spent just one season with the Tigers.

A four-star recruit out of Duncanville (Texas) High, Thompson chose to play for Auburn over the likes of Ohio State, Texas, USC and Alabama, among others. He was the industry-generated 247Sports Composite's No. 199 overall prospect, No. 17 safety and No. 29 player in Texas for the 2020 class.

In his lone year with the Tigers, Thompson played in six games. In those games, Thompson totaled eight tackles, two of which were solo stops.

Reactions: CamSnod1997
Many of us said this when Pruitt was hired, Butch, etc. I just hope we’re finally right this time.
Yeah just had that convo and that’s a fair response. I think Huepel is what we need for the foreseeable future and believe he just might surprise some people. I supported Pruitt though, so bahahaha

Reactions: Samthebam
Yeah just had that convo and that’s a fair response. I think Huepel is what we need for the foreseeable future and believe he just might surprise some people. I supported Pruitt though, so bahahaha
I supported him too. But I do agree with you on Heupel. It’ll be nice to have an offense with a pulse again. Just hope the defensive side is taken care of.

I supported him too. But I do agree with you on Heupel. It’ll be nice to have an offense with a pulse again. Just hope the defensive side is taken care of.
Our defensive position coaches are very experienced. Martinez put 3 of those UCF guys into the pros and I believe two were two stars and one was a 3 star. Then you have Garner coaching the line. Tons of experience there too. I mean... his coaching profile on UTSports is insane. Jean-Mary has coached linebackers his entire career it seems and for schools like Texas and Michigan. AND he is getting help from Elker who has just as much of not more experience at LB. Have we ever had a coach earn that much experience coaching special teams as well?

I mean I have no idea what to think about us schematically from a DC perspective, but at least we have someone who has done it and heck so have Elker and Jean-Mary! I can’t imagine us not being able to put together a solid defensive scheme. Regardless, I think the player development will be there. Im excited.

I just delved into the O as well. Burns just put two receivers at Auburn into the NFL. Insane. Elarbee has been coaching OL almost his entire career. QB coach has been with Huepel for 10 years.

Schmidt is ten times the coach Artis was and is what I was hoping for. I didn’t realize that his resume looked that good. He coached at UCF for 3 years, Missouri, Arkansas and others... he also has NFL experience.

I think the only ? I have are Mack at RBs, Banks (DC) and Golesh (OC). They seem to have the least experience of all the coaches at their position and in general. Mack with NONE which is a head scratcher. Huepel is really the OC so that cancels out Golesh’s inexperience. Banks still has some respectable experience vs having at least two DCs in a row with none at the position. Mack is the only concern I have honestly.

I’m actually pretty excited. I do not think we have had a staff like this since Fulmer took over and he had NO HC experience.

Last note. Between Golesh, Garner, Burns and Elarbee, there is a lot of TE coaching experience as well.

Last edited:
Our defensive position coaches are very experienced. Martinez put 3 of those UCF guys into the pros and I believe two were two stars and one was a 3 star. Then you have Garner coaching the line. Tons of experience there too. I mean... his coaching profile on UTSports is insane. Jean-Mary has coached linebackers his entire career it seems and for schools like Texas and Michigan. AND he is getting help from Elker who has just as much of not more experience at LB. Have we ever had a coach earn that much experience coaching special teams as well?

I mean I have no idea what to think about us schematically from a DC perspective, but at least we have someone who has done it and heck so have Elker and Jean-Mary! I can’t imagine us not being able to put together a solid defensive scheme. Regardless, I think the player development will be there. Im excited.

I just delved into the O as well. Burns just put two receivers at Auburn into the NFL. Insane. Elarbee has been coaching OL almost his entire career. QB coach has been with Huepel for 10 years.

Schmidt is ten times the coach Artis was and is what I was hoping for. I didn’t realize that his resume looked that good. He coached at UCF for 3 years, Missouri, Arkansas and others... he also has NFL experience.

I think the only ? I have are Mack at RBs, Banks (DC) and Golesh (OC). They seem to have the least experience of all the coaches at their position and in general. Mack with NONE which is a head scratcher. Huepel is really the OC so that cancels out Golesh’s inexperience. Banks still has some respectable experience vs having at least two DCs in a row with none at the position. Mack is the only concern I have honestly.

I’m actually pretty excited. I do not think we have had a staff like this since Fulmer took over and he had NO HC experience.

Last note. Between Golesh, Garner, Burns and Elarbee, there is a lot of TE coaching experience as well.

There was a discussion about Mack when we hired him. He’s been a head coach and an OC, so it seems to me that he probably understands the technique and responsibilities for running backs. Someone also tried to say that a former RB is the best kind of RB coach. Yet a few of the highest paid and successful RB coaches, Dell McGee, Tommie Robinson, Jay Boulware, Greg Knox never played RB. McGee and Robinson are DB’s. This isn’t to say that Mack is a guarantee, but I love the coordinator and head coach experience on this staff.

Reactions: vegasvolfan

VN Store

Back