'20 TX DB Chris Thompson Jr.

What is going on over there?

Do they have more transfers than we do at this point?
I think the transfer portal with immediate eligibility is really going to help stable teams and hinder unstable teams. So, for football, the portal and immediate eligibility will hurt UT, but, for basketball, they should help. Right now, Auburn and UT are both unstable football programs and so I think it will hurt UT more than it will help UT - although we have picked up the Texas LB, the USC DT, and are in on some other good options as well.

Reactions: b_gann and PA Vol
I think the transfer portal with immediate eligibility is really going to help stable teams and hinder unstable teams. So, for football, the portal and immediate eligibility will hurt UT, but, for basketball, they should help. Right now, Auburn and UT are both unstable football programs and so I think it will hurt UT more than it will help UT - although we have picked up the Texas LB, the USC DT, and are in on some other good options as well.

I guess I would disagree with the premise that we're unstable to a point of not being attractive to potential transfers. I think it's logical to say that there's unknown conditions that exist at UT currently, due to the impending NCAA ruling. However, I think at last count for both football and basketball there's more supply (players in the portal) than demand (available landing spots in DI). This alone means that we should be a viable landing spot for DI talent, that doesn't include the fact we play in the SEC (top competition) and have top flight facilities, support system, new staff (hope) etc.

I've been pleased with the transfer additions (Milton, the USC DT, the Texas LB), and I'm encouraged that if this coaching staff can deliver results with the modern day offense that we'll utilize the portal as a means to flip the roster quickly and save ourselves the 'this is a 4 year rebuild' discussion. I think if Coach Hype's offense produces a pulse this season then recruiting (both high school and portal) will increase dramatically and it gives us the best shot to re-calibrate the roster faster than ever before.

Even if I buy into the premise that we're currently 'unstable', I see the path to leaving that quickly behind us as more quickly attainable than in years past. I see UT as a destination rather than just an option happening much sooner than later.

You think that because you keep up with UT more than other programs.

USCe is not stable. Vandy just went through a coaching change... if they're "stable"... that's still bad. UK is a nice, stable... mediocre that in an anomalous year lost 6 guys to the NFL... that they can't replace with like talent.

MSU can't be considered "stable" looking at last year. Ole Miss isn't stable because Kiffin isn't stable- always looking for the next best gig. I like Pittman but has there ever been real stability at Arkansas? Again, I like Drinkwitz but what Pinkel did in building a team on 2* and 3* talent that everyone else overlooked isn't likely to be duplicated there any time soon. Odom was hired because he was mentored by Pinkel and thought to be similar.

Stability... isn't the norm anywhere in the Power 5.

I think to an extent your conclusion is correct. The transfer rule allows really good players the chance to leave losing programs. But considering the signing rules... how many openings will the top programs have? If you are Bama and 3 deep with talented guys at LB... do you want Henry T or to save a spot for a new recruit?

I'm not as sure as you seem to be that it is always going to be a "seller's" market. The top teams are generally top teams because they are stacked with deep talent. In those cases... they aren't likely to shop the portal for anything less that elite players.

To help everyone understand, we won 3 games last year.

We need everything.
IMO, UT won 3 games with a roster good enough to have won 7. I agree UT needs talent and depth of talent. But coaching that gets the current talent up close to their potential is where it has to start. If they can't do that... they probably aren't getting a lot more talent.

I’m thinking when it is all said and done it will only help other teams. I think Huepel and company have things under control and already >started< turning the ship around. I think our staff is probably poaching and will continue to fill holes with people who are unhappy or see more PT in their future. I also can’t imagine UCF putting 5 players into the NFL hurts—especially when you consider one was a transfer to UCF who had walked on at WKU, two were 2* and one of the other two was a 3*.

Reactions: OllVol
You think that because you keep up with UT more than other programs.

USCe is not stable. Vandy just went through a coaching change... if they're "stable"... that's still bad. UK is a nice, stable... mediocre that in an anomalous year lost 6 guys to the NFL... that they can't replace with like talent.

MSU can't be considered "stable" looking at last year. Ole Miss isn't stable because Kiffin isn't stable- always looking for the next best gig. I like Pittman but has there ever been real stability at Arkansas? Again, I like Drinkwitz but what Pinkel did in building a team on 2* and 3* talent that everyone else overlooked isn't likely to be duplicated there any time soon. Odom was hired because he was mentored by Pinkel and thought to be similar.

Stability... isn't the norm anywhere in the Power 5.

I think to an extent your conclusion is correct. The transfer rule allows really good players the chance to leave losing programs. But considering the signing rules... how many openings will the top programs have? If you are Bama and 3 deep with talented guys at LB... do you want Henry T or to save a spot for a new recruit?

I'm not as sure as you seem to be that it is always going to be a "seller's" market. The top teams are generally top teams because they are stacked with deep talent. In those cases... they aren't likely to shop the portal for anything less that elite players.
I think stable and consistent are two different things. Tennessee was less stable due to declining records coach after coach, major AD turnover, culture, booster meddling, pissed off fans that annoy me and violations. That said, I think Huepel and Danny have a plan to change that and have stabilized a lot in a short amount of time. As far as Bama being stacked 3 deep, this transfer rule allows us to take the 2 and 3 deep players from the Bamas. I think it bodes well in our favor.

I don't know. Time will tell I guess. How many transfers has Bama taken? Established teams also aren't looking for disgruntled run of the mill talent. And that's pretty much everyone in the portal with just a handful of exceptions.

Obviously Oklahoma has been all over transfers, but we'll see if that strategy works out for them. I have my doubts.

Reactions: igotworms
I don't know. Time will tell I guess. How many transfers has Bama taken? Established teams also aren't looking for disgruntled run of the mill talent. And that's pretty much everyone in the portal with just a handful of exceptions.

Obviously Oklahoma has been all over transfers, but we'll see if that strategy works out for them. I have my doubts.
I think the Pruitt NCAA issues created a windfall of good UT transfers. That's not likely to be the norm. This is a guess and only a guess... but my intuition says that the guys who left were likely tied to the violations.

Also got a really good kicker from USC, who was rated higher than Cimaglia out of HS

I think the transfer portal with immediate eligibility is really going to help stable teams and hinder unstable teams.
Another thought on this considering that there won't be as many opportunities on top programs as perhaps guys who want to fill them... the rule could enable someone in a situation like Heupel's to make themselves immediately competitive. Much like being recruits as HS players... some of these guys may talk and decide they want to play together and lift a program. That's especially true if the coach is "likeable" and attractive to them.

Reactions: b_gann

VN Store

Back