3rd and 15

No it’s not a stretch to say we played toe to toe with Bama. It was a 7 point game going into the 4th. We were not getting blown out despite the fact that Bama was killing us in nearly every statistical category. So how is that not going toe to toe with them?

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. I thought the second drive was pretty much textbook CJH and what we should probably expect more of going forward, even against Alabama, but at no point after that did it ever look like Alabama was going to lose. That is not to say that we didn't play well. We definitely gave them all they wanted for 3 quarters. But the scoreline didn't reflect the reality of the game after 3 quarters. Sometimes that is the case and a team can lose every statistical category and still win those games. It is not often though.

And to be clear, I have no problems with the game Saturday. No problems with the players, none with the coaches. None. They made mistakes, but every team makes mistakes. Hell, Bama made quite a few. We got beat by a better team. It happens. Unlike years past though, I didn't, and don't feel like we conceded the game before it even started. Like every game this season, I feel like the coaches and team prepared to win the game. They did everything they could except win. It happens. It wasn't for a lack of trying though. I'm not sure what more we can expect.

Alabama fans are so pathetic! They literally can’t stand for you to say anything good about another team, even a team they beat by 3 touchdowns! They are the whiniest, most fragile, pathetic, fan base in America! They were butt hurt because Greg Mclroy said some good things about Tennessee on the broadcast! I can't wait til they get curb stomped by GA!
I detest AL fans with every fiber of my being!!!

3rd down defense is atrocious. They allow so many teams to convert 3rd and longs. It’s a problem that definitely needs to be addressed.

I think that you're getting to the issue. UT was going to live or die by the big play. They couldn't sustain drives. They couldn't run at all. They needed to keep Hooker clean and exploit mismatches in the secondary. When they were able to do that, they were able to create monster plays. But they couldn't do it enough. Hooker was pressured way too often and he couldn't wait for things to develop. The total absence of a run game got UT completely out of sync, which is why they had to settle for a FG after the blocked punt.

I will give Heupel a ton of credit for seeing some stuff on film and going after it. But he also didn't adjust when what he wanted to do wasn't working. It was all-or-nothing, and nothing won out.

Spot on. Bama can be exploited this year. Especially the D-backs. Problem is for most opponents, their D-Line keeps them out of trouble more often than not. That's where we need to get in our recruiting. And I think he will. I think Heupal can see and make those adjustments. I just don't think he has the tools to sustain it right now. I did not get the play calling after that blocked punt however. Was not a sequence to give them a remote chance for 6.

Reactions: bamawriter
Actually the score showed UT trailed Alabama in a seemingly close game. My point is look closer and you find the stats that tell the truth. Bama was dominating on the field as 20 first downs to the Vols 5 at half verifies, and the Crimson Tide had over 300 yards at the half. UT had some big plays to keep it close.

if all UT td's were 30 yd punt returns it would still count as points and no first downs...big plays count, too

Alabama fans are so pathetic! They literally can’t stand for you to say anything good about another team, even a team they beat by 3 touchdowns! They are the whiniest, most fragile, pathetic, fan base in America! They were butt hurt because Greg Mclroy said some good things about Tennessee on the broadcast! I can't wait til they get curb stomped by GA!

Footballs all most of 'em have in their lives that's not miserable. Goes back to 1950's and 60's. Other than maybe Mississippi, Alabama was the most backwards, racist state by far. The Bahr's teams were an escape, something the natives could be proud of, because there certainly wasn't anything else.

So to summarize....UT stayed in a game longer than they should have against a superior opponent and lost by 4 touchdowns.

Beasley had a bad game.
It’s a great play call. They abused Ohio St the same way. Match up the MLB with their fastest guy in the slot. The only way to defeat it is to apply heat in the pass rush. We don’t have that guy.

Just calm down my Orange Friend.. All you just said is completely true. And you would have probably gotten a smart alecky retort from The Traitor in our midst "RexTheWonderDog" but sadly he had to exit upon hearing His SISTER Becon HIM Back to The BEDROOM ..... :)

Reactions: LA vol7
I'm not buying the depth excuse. Multiple times in Multiple games this year plenty of talent to make a 3rd and long situation, just for the other team to convert. So in my opinion it's more of a coaching/play calling on 3rd down defense

VN Store

Back