Not Top 10, you say? Make your case here!

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
There are either a dozen or so people who have said in one thread or another over the past few weeks that "Tennessee isn't a Top 10 team, we don't deserve this ranking" .... or there are three or four dudes saying it repeatedly. I haven't kept tabs on them by name, so I don't know which is true.

In either case, if you're one of those people who have said it, here's your chance! This thread is entirely set aside for you to explain.

Your response should include as a minimum, this information:
  • The names of three (or more) programs, ranked below us, who you think are better. Minimum three, because we're #8 now. Would take three teams leapfrogging us to push the Vols down out of the top 10.
  • For each team, what you have seen in their 2022 resume that convinces you they have the better team. Cover all three teams, please.
  • How you believe they'll each finish the season (record and standing in their division/conference), as well as how you believe the Vols will finish up.
I'm honestly intrigued by this. I get the impression you're not just blindly doubting your own team because BVS or whatever. I want to believe you've thought this through, and can explain your rationale.

The floor is yours.

Go Vols!

I think we are a good team. What makes it hard for many to believe we are a top ten team is our defense. More specifically, the linebackers and secondary. However, I think our offense is so potent that we can beat teams that are more “complete”. It’s too early in the season to say we are for sure overrated or where we deserve to be yet. We’ve played 4 games and the two ranked teams we have played have had games where they look awful. LSU and Bama will tell us where we are.

I remember a team in the 90s that won some close games. One Saturday, it would be the offense that was hot when the Defense was not. On another Saturday, it was the Defense stepping up to fill the offense's void. I even seen Saturdays where the offense and defense both had a good game. I guess that's why we call football a Team Sport.

Can't seem to remember that teams name, tho. Can anyone else recall their name?

TIA

I believe this team if firing on offense and a decent day on defense is a nightmare matchup for almost anyone. Of course we’re so damn inconsistent that we can probably drop a game to almost anyone.

Im only going to say this ONCE... so read very carefully. TOP 10 teams do not have defenses that rank in the hundreds. Plain and simple. I guess some of you smoke blowers have forgotten there are 3 facets to the game and we are very subpar in one. Now if you would like to think a Top 10 team can suck in one phase of the game or another... fine. Thats your opinion.

Im only going to say this ONCE... so listen very closely. TOP 10 teams do not have defenses that rank in the hundreds. Plain and simple. I guess some of you smoke blowers have forgotten there are 3 facets to the game and we are very subpar in one.
And we are in the 99.9 percent in the other. I’m kinda getting sick of your temper tantrum on how we suck and are ranked to high

There are either a dozen or so people who have said in one thread or another over the past few weeks that "Tennessee isn't a Top 10 team, we don't deserve this ranking" .... or there are three or four dudes saying it repeatedly. I haven't kept tabs on them by name, so I don't know which is true.

In either case, if you're one of those people who have said it, here's your chance! This thread is entirely set aside for you to explain.

Your response should include as a minimum, this information:
  • The names of three (or more) programs, ranked below us, who you think are better. Minimum three, because we're #8 now. Would take three teams leapfrogging us to push the Vols down out of the top 10.
  • For each team, what you have seen in their 2022 resume that convinces you they have the better team. Cover all three teams, please.
  • How you believe they'll each finish the season (record and standing in their division/conference), as well as how you believe the Vols will finish up.
I'm honestly intrigued by this. I get the impression you're not just blindly doubting your own team because BVS or whatever. I want to believe you've thought this through, and can explain your rationale.

The floor is yours.

Go Vols!
I understand the boredom of an off week, but thats way too much effort for something that can't be proven on a message board. Fortunately, the next month will tell us exactly where we are in the pecking order. UT football is like water....it will find it's level at some point.

Im only going to say this ONCE... so read very carefully. TOP 10 teams do not have defenses that rank in the hundreds. Plain and simple. I guess some of you smoke blowers have forgotten there are 3 facets to the game and we are very subpar in one. Now if you would like to think a Top 10 team can suck in one phase of the game or another... fine. Thats your opinion.
Why would he need you to say it more than once?

You didn't answer the question. You just bitched and moaned about our own team.

Dont GAF what youre sick of. The OP asked a question and I answered it.
Actually, no. You didn't. Read it again, maybe a bit more carefully.

I understand the boredom of an off week, but thats way too much effort for something that can't be proven on a message board. Fortunately, the next month will tell us exactly where we are in the pecking order. UT football is like water....it will find it's level at some point.
I don't know if you're one of the folks who said we're not a Top 10 team. Are you?

If you are, but you can't be bothered to explain your thinking...one starts to wonder if there was any thinking involved. Know what I mean?

Dude, so if a defense is ranked in the hundreds but the team keeps winning, then what would you say?

Because apparently some people keep asking why some of us dont think we are a top 10 team. Just because I dont think we are Top 10 doesnt mean I dont love UT. Who cares? Why keep asking?

I don't know if you're one of the folks who said we're not a Top 10 team. Are you?

If you are, but you can't be bothered to explain your thinking...one starts to wonder if there was any thinking involved. Know what I mean?

Honestly, I don't know if we're that good. When GT beat Pitt, I began to doubt how good that win was. UF was huge, but let's be honest, they're not as talented as most UF squads. The next several games will tell us exactly how good or bad we really are. To this point in the season, Heupel and this staff are miracle workers in my eye. No way did I ever consider 4-0 with this roster. Fully expected 2-2. So, for me, this season has already been a huge success all due to the UF win. Rankings are fluid. I prefer to judge a team on the entire body of work. Miles to go before we complete that picture. So enjoy your hypothetical for this particular point in time. Means nothing really. Look at where aTm, OU and ND were ranked preseason. What does it mean today? Not a damned thing.

Here's the 2022 college football preseason AP poll

VN Store

Back