'22 IL OLB Jared Badie

The Class of 2022 outside linebacker from Oswego (Ill.) East High School said Monday night that his offer from Tennessee last week was "definitely a big deal," and the Vols are "definitely top-five, as of right now," among the more than a dozen schools currently pursuing him.

"The Vols are a historically great program, and as my first SEC offer, I was very excited," said Badie, who's ranked the No. 49 outside linebacker in the 2022 class and the No. 13 junior from Illinois, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

The 6-foot-5, 220-pound Badie said he learned of the offer during a conversation with Tennessee defensive line coach Rodney Garner. Badie said he also has spoken with Mike Ekeler, the Vols' new outside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator, and defensive quality control analyst Nanumi Lolohea.

"Coach G made the offer, and they said that my film blew them away with my ability to do so many different things at my size and the athleticism and speed I possess," Badie said.

He said Tennessee has indicated that it envisions him playing a versatile role in the Vols' new defense under Heupel and defensive coordinator Tim Banks.

"They are recruiting me as a hybrid player," Badie said. "I think they call it the gator, where I have lots of different responsibilities and am used in a lot of different ways. Sometimes I’ll be rushing the passer as an end, dropping back and playing run defense as a linebacker or playing a free-safety type. It all depends on play-calling."

Badie said he's interested in making a trip to Tennessee's campus at some point. But with his spring football season set to start later this month, and with the ongoing dead period for recruiting already having been extended through May 31 because of the COVID-19 pandemic, he said he's not sure when he will have a chance to take a closer look at the Vols or any other team.

"I would love to take a visit, if possible," he said. "But with the dead period and my schedule, nothing is for certain just yet."
-Callahan

“I actually just scheduled it this week,” said Badie, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 73 linebacker in the 2022 class and the No. 10 rising senior from the state of Illinois.

“I just felt like they were showing a lot of love. They were showing that they wanted me down there, and I wanted to give them a chance. I wanted to get down there and see them. Obviously, they’re a great, historic program. I wanted to see the fan base and all the things like that. Just wanted to get my questions answered.”

The 6-foot-5, 212-pound Badie said he doesn’t have any “specific, pressing questions” about the Vols’ program going into his official visit this weekend.
“I just want to feel a vibe,” he said. “I want to feel the energy. I want to know the campus — you know, regular visit things.

“I’m looking forward to checking out their stadium, their facilities and, like, their food hall.”

Badie has continued to talk with Tennessee defensive line analyst Levorn Harbin and outside linebackers coach Mike Ekeler on a regular basis over the past few months. He said the Vols are recruiting him as a projected edge rusher, and they have made it clear that they believe he could make a major impact on their defense.

“They love my athleticism, my versatility, my frame,” he said. “They think I’m a perfect fit for their program and their system and positioning. I mesh with them, so they really wanted me down there.”
-Callahan

Perry and Josephs.

Perry plays LB, I believe.

I don’t think Tolan comes here.
Right now, I agree that Tolan is most likely headed elsewhere. If we're talking about the same Perry, it'll be hard to pull him out of KY. I guarantee Stoops is hammering the neg recruiting against us. But our staff will continue to evaluate and identify targets. They have to. We have a lot working against us atm. That's just a reality we need to face. Too much uncertainty for kids making decisions that will affect the rest of their lives.

Right now, I agree that Tolan is most likely headed elsewhere. If we're talking about the same Perry, it'll be hard to pull him out of KY. I guarantee Stoops is hammering the neg recruiting against us. But our staff will continue to evaluate and identify targets. They have to. We have a lot working against us atm. That's just a reality we need to face. Too much uncertainty for kids making decisions that will affect the rest of their lives.

RC said on Wednesday that he would lean towards us being the favorite for Perry.

I agree with everything you said after.

VN Store

Back