DG's Takeaways from the Bama Game

DiderotsGhost

Short and repetitive this week, but here were go.

Chaney is handcuffed and it's obvious. We constantly ran the ball on 3rd and 5s and even 3rd and 8s. And it's starting to become obvious that Pruitt is handcuffing Chaney and forcing him into a conservative game-plan that simply can't win in the SEC in the year 2020. Sure, we got lucky on some of those runs, but the 3rd or 4th time in a row, it started to feel a bit absurd.

JG is also handcuffing the offense. Sure, JG did not have the disastrous game he did against Kentucky. But the SEC has changed and you can't win by scoring 17 points and playing great defense any more. JG is a dinosaur. And it's becoming obvious that the coaches have no faith in him. Which is why we were running it on 3rd and 8. So right now, the entire gameplan revolves around not putting JG into situations where he will turn the ball over, which is unsustainable. You can't play scared (and with a 5th year Senior, no less!).

Baffling gameplan
. While we're at it, this was one of the most baffling gameplans I've ever seen. We decided we were going to try to run down their throats and rely on our defense, but also decided "let's play hurry-up!" Seriously? If you're going to rely on your defense and running game, you want to shorten the game and grind down the clock. It makes no sense to play hurry up, which plays more into Alabama's hands. It felt like there was a disagreement at the coaches' meeting and they came up with this "worst of all worlds" compromise.

JG's performance. Better than last week, but still far from great. No INTs or fumbles, but 13 for 24 for 162 yards (6.8ypa) is stat line that wins in 1988, not 2020. Simply no comparison between JG and Mac Jones (25 for 31, 387 yards, 12.5 ypa)

Maurer or Bailey. Ultimately, the coaches need to take this offweek and get ready to roll with Maurer or Bailey. JG is a game manager and can't be more than that. It doesn't win in today's game. Even Georgia, which is basically elite at almost every position on the field other than QB, got destroyed by Alabama with a game-managing QB.

4th Quarter. Seriously, why not bring in Maurer or Bailey at the start of the 4th? We were down 4 touchdowns. Makes me no sense at that point. For that matter, I want to see Eric Gray and Ty Chandler "on the shelf" at that point, given that they are our biggest offensive weapons. Get Jabari Small and Tee Hodge some playing time.

Pruitt. When we hired him, I thought the ceiling was Dabo Swinney and the floor was Will Muschamp. I really hope he's not becoming Will Muschamp. He's been recruiting well. We've seen a lot of player development unlike with Butch Jones. I've bought into him, but am concerned by his dogged persistence in sticking with JG at QB. We played better on offense this game than the last one, but it's also ridiculously obvious to me that we can't win big with JG.

D-line. That said, I'm starting to understand why Pruitt fired Brumbaugh, because the DL has clearly regressed from last season. I'll give Pruitt credit for spotting that before a lot of other people. Let's hope we can bring in someone like Tosh Lupoi in the offseason.

Jalin Hyatt. I've been saying all offseason that this kid would be special. He was one of my favorite recruits we brought in. And I posted that he was the 2nd best WR on the team and not getting enough playing time the morning before the game. Glad someone on the staff saw the same thing. Annoyed that he was robbed of that 2nd TD (and a 100-yard game) by the refs, but happy that he had such a great game against one of the toughest teams on our schedule. We are very fortunate to have landed him and it's crazy how many teams managed to somehow overlook him.

The other WRs. While I'm happy to see Hyatt get more playing time and it pay off big time, I still want to see more of these Freshman WRs. I think Malachi Wideman is probably our 3rd or 4th best WR already and he's not getting enough action. You might remember him as the guy who caught that great pass by Harrison Bailey in garbage time. But right now, Palmer and Hyatt are our only receiving weapons, as you might see from looking at the box score. Brandon Johnson and Velus Jones are not good enough to get open much against elite SEC DBs. Get Wideman in the game! He's tough to defend.

Offense did play better. People are laughing about Pruitt calling this the best offensive performance of the season, but he's right. We should've had 24 points against one of the better defenses in the country. It's not enough and we need an elite QB, as well as to get more of these Freshman plyamkers at WR in the game, but I at least saw some progress yesterday on the offensive side of the ball.

Defense sucked, but everyone's D has sucked against Bama. We gave up 41 points, but even Georgia gave up 41 (you can adjust that down slightly for turnovers, but still probably have to say 30 - 35 points given up by Georgia's D). I don't know how to gauge our performance. I'm not happy about it, but there were also plays where I felt we played perfect defense and Alabama still managed to have some WR make a spectacular catch and pick up huge yardage. But I did feel like the front 7 didn't play well enough and we're still not tackling as well as we should.

Gary Danielson. Seriously getting sick of his bias: 'That's textbook targeting by Tennessee. No way that gets overturned.' Call then gets overturned. As it should. It was not targeting. The offensive player led with his helmet and initiated the contact, not Jaylen McCullough. Yeah, there was some subjectivity there, but the replay officials made the right call overturning that IMO. I don't see how, as a defender, you can be charged with targeting when the offensive player is the one charging into your helmet. Good reversal by the refs, bad call by Gary Danielson.

That's all.

Happy for the bye week. Let's hope the coaches figure things out better for the 2nd half of the season. At least we're through the worst 2 games on the schedule, but getting blown out to Kentucky is really what strings the most to me.

GBO!

Last edited:
I’ve been watching football since the 1965 NFL Championship Game (Jim Brown’s last game for those keeping track at home). So what exactly is a “game manager”. If seen that term get created and used over the years and in every case it is applied to someone that simply can’t play the position. So they dumb down the playbook so that person essentially doesn’t have to play the position while on the field. Anyone have a more positive interpretation?

Great write up, I agree with you on most points. I think we need bigger LB and RB's. Way too many times have I watched #11 meet the running back in the hole and the back run over him for a 3 yard game instead of no gain. How many times yesterday did we have Bama's #22 stopped and he still "fell" forward for a 2-3 year gain. Tackling has been a real issue on this team.

I’ve been watching football since the 1965 NFL Championship Game (Jim Brown’s last game for those keeping track at home). So what exactly is a “game manager”. If seen that term get created and used over the years and in every case it is applied to someone that simply can’t play the position. So they dumb down the playbook so that person essentially doesn’t have to play the position while on the field. Anyone have a more positive interpretation?

I'd define it as a QB who doesn't have to do much other than not turn the ball over and make an occasional 1st down. That essentially, your defense and your run game can win the game, and the QB doesn't need to be a "hero".

The classic (good) example of a successful "game manager" QB was Trent Dilfer when the year the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl. The Ravens relied on Jamal Lewis and a world-class D. All Dilfer had to do was not screw that up.

I don't think "game managing" QBs can win in 2020. You have to have a QB that can make big plays. Even Georgia, who basically is as close to that 2000 Baltimore Ravens formula as possible, got destroyed by Bama's offense.

A game manager has a positive connotation when in the context of a loaded team. That’s when the QB is never asked to win the game, but expected to not lose it. Avoid mistakes.

When in context of a bad team, it just means the QB is limited. He’s unable to elevate the level of play of his teammates. That’s really what we have here.

Through 2.5 years, this team isn't nowhere near as good as the Vols with Butch through 2.5 years. That being said, I think Pruitt is a much better teacher of the game, but he just hasn't learned how to be a head coach

Reactions: landscapingvol
Agree with most all of that. Would like to add this idea.

We called the football game yesterday like we knew we re going to lose but instead of that being open, loose, and nothin to lose but a game, it looked more like a scrimmage where the outcome didn't matter.

If that was the case, we forfeited a great opportunity to get another QB, maybe 2, some more reps.
We are still missing talent and depth from other groups on the field, but the one position that can mask that better than any (and its not even close) is the QB. JG isn't getting better with reps. Hes the same inconsistent QB from last year and the year before that.

We had a true FR WR get behind a Saban secondary not once but twice for TDs.

Pruitt is creating more questions at this point when he should be starting to check off answers. He's not getting fired this year regardless but hes making the 21' season a lot harder every week.

You lost me at “a lot of player development”. There has been zero player development outside of a handful on defense the last couple of years. The oline for the most part, running backs, and quarterbacks have improved little if any. There has been some improvement in run defense but outside of Brice Thompson our pass defense has been atrocious. Our safety and linebacker play against the pass is probably the worst in the SEC

Reactions: Volsonyourface
I've given up on Pruitt starting anyone other than JG. Like you, I'm dumbfounded by the decision to not give the youth on this roster more meaningful time in the games....at all positions. This game was over at halftime. Maybe he's not wanting a qb controversy so he's purposely limiting the backup qb minutes, but why risk Gray/Chandler in the 4th? Why not give those supposedly talented WRs a great chance to test themselves against some top shelf db talent in a live game? Practice can't match the experience of playing in a game. I just don't understand it. Makes no sense. It's almost like he's in high school again and kids just have to wait their turn.

I can hear the youth excuse next year already. Won't fly with this vol fan. Pruitt is the reason we're going to be young and inexperienced in several areas next year. You can't whine about lack of depth when you don't develop it.

As a side note, I thought Pruitt was some sort of DB guru? He recruits like he needs 30 defensive backs on this roster, but that position has been a huge disappointment this season. Hell, for that matter, the entire team from qb to long snapper seems to have regressed and everyone missed spring ball so that excuse also won't fly either.

Halfway through this season, and I'm sick of this team already. Basketball and baseball seasons can't get here soon enough.

4th Quarter. Seriously, why not bring in Maurer or Bailey at the start of the 4th? We were down 4 touchdowns. Makes me no sense at that point. For that matter, I want to see Eric Gray and Ty Chandler "on the shelf" at that point, given that they are our biggest offensive weapons. Get Jabari Small and Tee Hodge some playing time.

Can not agree with this statement any stronger. Wasted opportunity, and sometimes the younger guys coming in will inject some energy to the team.

I'd define it as a QB who doesn't have to do much other than not turn the ball over and make an occasional 1st down. That essentially, your defense and your run game can win the game, and the QB doesn't need to be a "hero".

The classic (good) example of a successful "game manager" QB was Trent Dilfer when the year the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl. The Ravens relied on Jamal Lewis and a world-class D. All Dilfer had to do was not screw that up.

I don't think "game managing" QBs can win in 2020. You have to have a QB that can make big plays. Even Georgia, who basically is as close to that 2000 Baltimore Ravens formula as possible, got destroyed by Bama's offense.

Look no further than the program we played yesterday for the recent evolution.

Bama when Saban got there won their first few championships on defense, a running game, and a QB that didn't get you beat. That change occurred not because Saban wanted to move to the new age video game like offense but because he was forced to.
Clemson has found success against him where others have not. They have found that with elite QB play. The same way LSU did it last year.

Look no further than the program we played yesterday for the recent evolution.

Bama when Saban got there won their first few championships on defense, a running game, and a QB that didn't get you beat. That change occurred not because Saban wanted to move to the new age video game like offense but because he was forced to.
Clemson has found success against him where others have not. They have found that with elite QB play. The same way LSU did it last year.
We have not recruited nor developed this position. Pruitt may be unaware he doesn’t have Bama’s defense to create field position.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpfvol
Thanks, DG. Nice observations. *thumbs up*

Two quick points:

(1) Best thing that has happened for me this season has been following the lead of some other fellas on the board, and muting the TV when the game is on CBS, listening instead to simulcast of Kessling/Priest on the radio. Such a surprisingly effective shift. Wish I'd done it years ago.

(2) The Kentucky game was an ugly let-down, but I'm certainly not giving up on Pruitt & Co yet. I still think they have more football know-how in one little finger than our previous two coaches have had combined. I can totally understand the UGa outcome, and the Bama one as well. The Kentucky debacle was painful, but I'm hoping we'll one day be able to write it off as growing pains. The JG thing is less of a mystery than we all like to pretend; he's simply the best of (for now) bad options. Hopefully that will change in the next two weeks and we roll into Arkansas with a backup who is ready to take over at the first sign of problems. We'll see about that, but bottom line is, Pruitt can still be the championship coach we all hoped he would be. I have a little more time I'm willing to give it.

Thanks again for your insights. Go Vols!

Great write up, I agree with you on most points. I think we need bigger LB and RB's. Way too many times have I watched #11 meet the running back in the hole and the back run over him for a 3 yard game instead of no gain. How many times yesterday did we have Bama's #22 stopped and he still "fell" forward for a 2-3 year gain. Tackling has been a real issue on this team.
They were stronger. Our guys are in the 2.5 yr of good S&C. BAMA has had it since 2007.

Reactions: FïreBall
We have not recruited nor developed this position. Pruitt may be unaware he doesn’t have Bama’s defense.
He doesn't have the defenses he had at Bama, no. Their current defense is good but its not on the same page as the ones they ve had before. Of course, when you put 50 a week on conference teams it doesn't need to be.

Recruiting the QB spot is different than pretty much every position. The established programs of the day, Bama, Clemson, OSU, UGA, LSU ....are selling HS recruits on Heisman and NC winners. And offenses loaded with talent to play on. We re selling them on the idea of that. The problem right now is its still just an idea and not something you can tangible see happening.

Having said all that, we have an OC with a solid QB track record and a solid resume as an OC. What Im watching right now tells me he's either forgot what he knew or he's not being allowed to do what he knows. Personally, I dont think hes forgotten.

I dont know if we have a top level QB on this roster but apparently we won't find that out til later. If we do, hes not on the field.

Great analysis. UT & Pruitt have to adapt on offense or perish in this new generation of football. If Cheney can’t get it done, let Coach Osovet or Tee Martin have a crack at it.

Nice even-keeled recap of the game and the state of the season.

My pre-season record pick had us at 2-3 after Bama figuring we would lose to UGA, Bama, and probably SC. That said, it was the 'how we lost to UK' that really stings. I was warming up to the CJP hire and hoped the upswing last season was a sign he was figuring out in real-time how to be a head coach. Whelp, I am right back to post BYU game confidence levels in Pruitt's ability to pull his head out of his can before cratering the program once again.

DG nailed it with the handcuffs assessment of the offense. Chaney is catching a lot of heat but I can't believe any OC worth his salt would call those sorry ass runs up the middle on critical downs. It would be play-calling malpractice to do so. CJP is muzzling him ala Phil and the Claw-fense or he's being forced to go with JG the Pick 6 Machine and Chaney is forced to go ultra conservative.

Regardless, this suggests a much bigger issue on the Hill than just getting whooped by a better team. CJP is becoming more Muschamp-ian every game and I'm afraid part of that is Fulmer's not so astute advice. 'You gotta watch out for those fancy boy OC's, Jeremy!!! Did I ever tell you how one of them done cost me my job......'

JG is a roller coaster of inconsistency and to stick with him is playing football Russian Roulette. I would have split the 2nd half between Maurer and Bailey since, as DG pointed out, the game was over so why not get some reps in. Somebody has got to step up or we are starting down the barrel of a 3 win season. Jeremy knows that as well but it just seems like he is too stubborn or scared to try and fix it.

With our current QB at the controls our ceiling for wins is 4. Maybe Arky and probably Vandy. That’s it. No chance against AU, TAMA or FL

Butch was better QB recruiter than JP. He got Dobbs and then would have gotten both Martinez and Pence which are both better than what we have. Maybe Bailey can change this.

Nice even-keeled recap of the game and the state of the season.

My pre-season record pick had us at 2-3 after Bama figuring we would lose to UGA, Bama, and probably SC. That said, it was the 'how we lost to UK' that really stings. I was warming up to the CJP hire and hoped the upswing last season was a sign he was figuring out in real-time how to be a head coach. Whelp, I am right back to post BYU game confidence levels in Pruitt's ability to pull his head out of his can before cratering the program once again.

DG nailed it with the handcuffs assessment of the offense. Chaney is catching a lot of heat but I can't believe any OC worth his salt would call those sorry ass runs up the middle on critical downs. It would be play-calling malpractice to do so. CJP is muzzling him ala Phil and the Claw-fense or he's being forced to go with JG the Pick 6 Machine and Chaney is forced to go ultra conservative.

Regardless, this suggests a much bigger issue on the Hill than just getting whooped by a better team. CJP is becoming more Muschamp-ian every game and I'm afraid part of that is Fulmer's not so astute advice. 'You gotta watch out for those fancy boy OC's, Jeremy!!! Did I ever tell you how one of them done cost me my job......'

JG is a roller coaster of inconsistency and to stick with him is playing football Russian Roulette. I would have split the 2nd half between Maurer and Bailey since, as DG pointed out, the game was over so why not get some reps in. Somebody has got to step up or we are starting down the barrel of a 3 win season. Jeremy knows that as well but it just seems like he is too stubborn or scared to try and fix it.
And here I was thinking that Phil was the the fancy boy OC that took Coach Major's job.
Damn, I guess I was wrong again.

And here I was thinking that Phil was the the fancy boy OC that took Coach Major's job.
Damn, I guess I was wrong again.

At least Phil had the decency to wait until Johnny was hospitalized.

To avoid being a hypocrite, although I didn't care for how it was done, I did appreciate the end result. Phil gave us a golden decade of UT football but should have retired after he lost Cutcliff. He just couldn't trust another OC and created chaos on the O side of the ball as a result. I just hope we aren't seeing a repeat with Pruitt.

VN Store

Back