Jerry Palm says no difference in 7-5 or 6-6

LSU/UGA/Bama/Florida are all going to playoff or major bowls
auburn is going to citrus

Tx A&M and Tennessee will be 7-5

UK will be 6-6 probably maybe 7-5

Outback and Gator will not both turn down Tennessee. Belk and Music City wouldn’t either.
I think if Mississippi State goes 6-6 they go to either the Music City Bowl,Belk Bowl or Independence Bowl. I think Tennessee goes to Jacksonville when they finish 7-5.

I think if Mississippi State goes 6-6 they go to either the Music City Bowl,Belk Bowl or Independence Bowl. I think Tennessee goes to Jacksonville when they finish 7-5.
I don't think Mississippi St can beat Ole Miss -- Ole Miss might get an bid even with a 5-7 record due to not enough SEC schools to fill the bids

I don't think Mississippi St can beat Ole Miss -- Ole Miss might get an bid even with a 5-7 record due to not enough SEC schools to fill the bids
SMU or Tulane might have to stand in for SEC teams in bowls like the Belk Bowl,Birmingham Bowl,Independence Bowl or Texas Bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyvol77 and MAD
I got news for Jerry Palm, 7-5 is much better than 6-6. Our teams mindset knowing they finished the season on a roll. Starting 1-4 and finishing 7-5 is a testament to our coaching staff and their ability to get the players to buy into their vision.

From what I've read the Liberty Bowl may not get the chance to pick an SEC team with Mizzou being ban, South Carolina out of contention and Miss State fumbling down the stretch

Reactions: MAD
He's probably correct about the bowl, but for fans and recruits, there's a definite difference in the perception of 7-5 vs 6-6. Just the fact we'd have a very nice win streak going to end this season would be huge for the attitude and outlook heading into the bowl prep and off season workouts.

In the long run as long as we go bowling we win overall but winning both our remaining regular-season games makes everything look better for recruits short term. But the big win from all of this is 15 extra practices and an extra game.

Winning against Missou also puts us in a really interesting position against Vandy. We don't "have" to win that game if we beat Missouri so we could play a lot of guys with only 2 games played so far fairly heavily in the Vandy and Bowl games get them some experience and the Copaches some serious feedback on progression heading into offseason. The 4 game rule for redshirts is a powerful tool if used properly and those practices are a huge deal on a team playing as many young guys as we are this season.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Important to remember that under the current bowl structure, the Music City Bowl gets to select before the Gator and Belk Bowls. We think of it as the bad bowl that we went to at 6-6 in 2010, but its profile and payout have increased substantially since then.

Important to remember that under the current bowl structure, the Music City Bowl gets to select before the Gator and Belk Bowls. We think of it as the bad bowl that we went to at 6-6 in 2010, but its profile and payout have increased substantially since then.
Hasn't looked in awhile, but you're right in a big way. Music City pays $5.6m. Gator pays $3.1m. Belk pays $4.5m.

Last edited:
Reactions: strongj81
I got news for Jerry Palm, 7-5 is much better than 6-6. Our teams mindset knowing they finished the season on a roll. Starting 1-4 and finishing 7-5 is a testament to our coaching staff and their ability to get the players to buy into their vision.

The Vols are 5-5
Counting your chickens before they hatch, I see

VN Store

Back