Pruitt vs. Mullen - Some Perspective

T2P_Priceless

Here's some perspective for those that don't think Pruitt is doing a good job and Mullen is better in his second year. One point I've been bringing up since the week 1 loss is the hole in which Pruitt and his staff has to dig out of in terms of roster.

I think we started 4 True Freshmen last week and played 16 of 18! What does that tell you about the roster that Pruitt inherited? It was garbage and when you play so many Freshmen, RS Freshmen and even Sophomores there's a lot to teach these kids and a huge learning curve. Teams can get away with that at a position or 2 but not half the roster.

Now look at Florida's depth chart. They don't have a single True Freshmen starting and they only have 4 in the 2-deep!

2019 Florida Gators Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

So before you go comparing Pruitt to other 2d year coaches, currently and past, consider the roster situations and know that it's not Apples to Apples. If anything, this staff has impressed me at the speed in which they have trained and taught these young players.

EDITS

Here's some adds I'd like to make because I keep seeing the same arguments to my post.

1) I'm not really comparing the coaching ability of Pruitt to Mullen, I'm comparing rosters.

2) I get that we keep hearing the same excuses after every coaching change but it's the truth. Kiffin really screwed us by ruining that recruiting class and many players on roster left after as well. Dooley did not recruit well and left us a huge gaping hole at OL because he didn't recruit the position much and even skipped an entire year! Then Butch recruited well but then mistreated players and lied to them causing many of the top recruits to leave. If you don't think those guys don't talk to other future recruits then you're wrong.

3) All this poor management has led to gaping holes in our roster and very very poor depth. The reason every coach comes in talking about it is because every coach we've hired has had to deal with it.

4) The years of dysfunction have gradually causes a declining culture that doesn't know how to win. You see that in all the games we led over the years and couldn't finish. It takes time to build that culture and that was one of the biggest failings of Dooley and Butch. Kiffin actually focused on creating a winning culture and honestly if he didn't screw us would have done well with his staff and built a good foundation.

5) I'm not making excuses for anyone, just being honest about the entire situation. Our situation and program sucks!!!! It's much worse than FL, GA, etc which has had success in their 2d years with new coaches. GA's roster was loaded with talent with Kirby took over because Richt always did a good job with recruiting but never realized the potential.

6) The GA St loss was inexcusable. They did not prepare at all for that game. They were clearly looking ahead to other opponents and they came out flat. Just goes to show that better talent will lost if unmotivated and unprepared...we've seen it throughout the years (ex. App St vs Mich)

7) Bottom line and ultimate reason for this post is to point out the amazing job this staff has done with the new players. They're passing their upperclassmen in talent and skill and when our roster is full of that we will win a lot.

Last edited:
Here's some perspective for those that don't think Pruitt is doing a good job and Mullen is better in his second year. One point I've been bringing up since the week 1 loss is the hole in which Pruitt and his staff has to dig out of in terms of roster.

I think we started 4 True Freshmen last week and played 16 of 18! What does that tell you about the roster that Pruitt inherited? It was garbage and when you play so many Freshmen, RS Freshmen and even Sophomores there's a lot to teach these kids and a huge learning curve. Teams can get away with that at a position or 2 but not half the roster.

Now look at Florida's depth chart. They don't have a single True Freshmen starting and they only have 4 in the 2-deep!

So before you go comparing Pruitt to other 2d year coaches, currently and past, consider the roster situations and know that it's not Apples to Apples. If anything, this staff has impressed me at the speed in which they have trained and taught these young players.
We lost to GA State. Nothing has been impressive.

I completely agree with you that Pruitt is starting from much further behind and needs to be cut a break in such a comparison. I reject claims that, in any sense, that means that Mullen is not doing a great job with what he has, including our own talent problems on O line, in particular.

I completely agree with you that Pruitt is starting from much further behind and needs to be cut a break in such a comparison. I reject claims that, in any sense, that means that Mullen is not doing a great job with what he has, including our own talent problems on O line, in particular.

Yea, I'm not taking anything away from Mullen, Kirby, etc They're obv doing great. Just saying that I think Pruitt and staff are doing a phenomenal job with what they have. If you watch the play of these guys from week 1 to week 3, not just the fact that they won but being in position, hitting the right gaps, blocking, tackling, jumping routes, etc then you can see how good they're doing.

What the OP says does have relevance and makes sense.

However, a major 5 team or us at least, should never lose to a Sunbelt conference team. Especially one coming off of a 2-8/9 season. The talent and coaching levels should be higher. But, as the OP stated, we are starting a lot of freshmen. And, that Ga St. QB was good!

What the OP says does have relevance and makes sense.

However, a major 5 team or us at least, should never lose to a Sunbelt conference team. Especially one coming off of a 2-8/9 season. The talent and coaching levels should be higher. But, as the OP stated, we are starting a lot of freshmen. And, that Ga St. QB was good!

That loss was on the coaching staff I think and would admit. They did not prepare for that game at all because they thought it would be automatic (as we all did). And they did a poor job of motivating the players.

Yea, I'm not taking anything away from Mullen, Kirby, etc They're obv doing great. Just saying that I think Pruitt and staff are doing a phenomenal job with what they have. If you watch the play of these guys from week 1 to week 3, not just the fact that they won but being in position, hitting the right gaps, blocking, tackling, jumping routes, etc then you can see how good they're doing.

What exactly do you think they could do in 2 weeks time that they couldnt do through months of spring and fall ball?

We were lined up incorrectly on defense multiple times against Chattanooga.

Mullen has proven to be a good HC at MSU & now at UF. Pruitt may be a good HC in the future but that remains to be seen. Pruitt is yet another coach that is learning on the job while coaching at UT which is a big part of the problem. Do not get me wrong, I want him to succeed but our record is the indicator of what the program is right now.

Didn't realize Dan Mullen is so prominent in the record books. From his Wikipedia page:

"On December 26, 2016, Mullen made SEC history when he became the first football coach in conference history to win a bowl game and still finish with a losing record on the season; Mississippi State finished the season with a 6–7 mark."

VN Store

Back