Need advice on getting to Neyland Stadium by boat.

SpeedyVOL

The wife and I were talking about pulling our 23' runabout (I know, its small compared to some of the boats I see at the Vol Navy) up to Knoxville for a game while the weather is still warm. I have a few questions for anyone that has done this.
1. Where to launch. (Don't want to drive the boat all the way from Huntsville, AL.)
2. Does it cost to dock a smaller vessel and where is that best place to dock?
3. When is the best time to launch to avoid boat traffic?
Any information would be appreciated. I'm not even sure it would be a good idea.
Thanks and GO VOLS!!

Do you have any rough idea about how far you want to boat? There are plenty of launch options. The trip from the Concord Park/Marina area off Northshore in Farragut is a nice 1-1.5 h easy course without locks, and that keeps you on your side of town. If you want a slightly longer voyage, there are ramps at Lenoir City Park and Tellico Dam Reservation just off 321 in Lenoir City. This area would add around 45 minutes, unless you are scooting.

No charge, you just assess the situation when you reach the Navy and tie up to a row of boats similar to the size of yours. Line up swim platforms, if you have one, as that will be the walkway. Bring a rug or some carpet to keep your boat clean and for traction.

I'm assuming you have a deck boat? If not, the type might change my above recommendations.

Last edited:
I have a 23' v-hull bow rider. I'd like our boat trip to the stadium to be under 45 minutes at cruising speed. I just wondered if they frowned on smaller boats like mine tying off in the line. I'm sure I would need to tie off near the end of a line.

The wife and I were talking about pulling our 23' runabout (I know, its small compared to some of the boats I see at the Vol Navy) up to Knoxville for a game while the weather is still warm. I have a few questions for anyone that has done this.
1. Where to launch. (Don't want to drive the boat all the way from Huntsville, AL.)
2. Does it cost to dock a smaller vessel and where is that best place to dock?
3. When is the best time to launch to avoid boat traffic?
Any information would be appreciated. I'm not even sure it would be a good idea.
Thanks and GO VOLS!!
Pretty cool that you Vols can do that!

I have a 23' v-hull bow rider. I'd like our boat trip to the stadium to be under 45 minutes at cruising speed. I just wondered if they frowned on smaller boats like mine tying off in the line. I'm sure I would need to tie off near the end of a line.
Used to take my Sea Ray 23' to games without any trouble. Like boats tie together. You'll see everything from small deck boats and pontoons to houseboats to $1M+ 50-60' cruisers.

You can get there from Concord in an hour if you aren't just puttering. We always took it slow to enjoy the day on the water. If you want to be closer and still stay west of town, check with Duncan Marina.

Do you have any rough idea about how far you want to boat? There are plenty of launch options. The trip from the Concord Park/Marina area off Northshore in Farragut is a nice 1-1.5 h easy course without locks, and that keeps you on your side of town. If you want a slightly longer voyage, there are ramps at Lenoir City Park and Tellico Dam Reservation just off 321 in Lenoir City. This area would add around 45 minutes, unless you are scooting.

No charge, you just assess the situation when you reach the Navy and tie up to a row of boats similar to the size of yours. Line up swim platforms, if you have one, as that will be the walkway. Bring a rug or some carpet to keep your boat clean and for traction.

I'm assuming you have a deck boat? If not, the type might change my above recommendations.

If anybody needs a yacht Captain, I have my 100-ton license. I'm good with single-screw, twin-screw, jets, and with or without thrusters. Joysticks are for amateurs. I'm more the "Captain Ron" type.

My compensation structure is fairly simple: One beer per 10 feet OAL per day, plus meals and bail money. If my Navigator is a comely lass that has ever been featured in a biker magazine, I waive the meal money.

Gotta go....wife headed this way.....

Go Vols.

Here is my Small yacht that I bring for regular season ball games, I save my big yacht for bowl games! :cool:

View attachment 219119

Looking at the port exhaust stacks, I'd say you have a fouled injector on the port main engine. Fairly common, and easy to remedy.

Please see my post on my fee structure if you'd like to me come take a look at it.

Oh, and send a pic of your Navigator.

Go Vols.

We have a 22’ Regal and in 40 years of going to games I’ve never done the Vol Navy but would love to try it if we could get a few boats together to do it!

I'll stick with driving from Atlanta to Athens. But one day I'll make a Vol Navy friend and attend a game off a boat.

Since I'm in GA now, and have been for...hmm, 26 years now...I'm a UGA fan 364 days out of the year. You can probably figure out the one Saturday when I'm not. So take this from an "almost fellow Dawg fan"...

Being a native of Tennessee, and with my family line being rooted in the Volunteer State back to (at least) the War of Northern Aggression, let me offer you this friendly piece of advice: If your "Vol Navy friend" suggests a "friendly game of Plank" on the way to the game, politely decline. They are going to make an example out of you.

Stick with I-20. It's safer by far.

:cool:

Go Vols.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Ya'll are welcome aboard... beer and ribs on the flight deck.
pRyxli3.jpg

Since I'm in GA now, and have been for...hmm, 26 years now...I'm a UGA fan 364 days out of the year. You can probably figure out the one Saturday when I'm not. So take this from an "almost fellow Dawg fan"...

Being a native of Tennessee, and with my family line being rooted in the Volunteer State back to (at least) the War of Northern Aggression, let me offer you this friendly piece of advice: If your "Vol Navy friend" suggests a "friendly game of Plank" on the way to the game, politely decline. They are going to make an example out of you.

Stick with I-20. It's safer by far.

:cool:

Go Vols.
So you're a Tennessee fan only one day a year?

Just one small word of caution. When the bigger yachts are going in and out they haul butt and they can create an impressive, ocean type wave from their wake. In college the front of my folks pontoon dipped pretty far under water hitting one of those. Just be prepared and if you have a deck boat with a lower bow maybe take the waves at about a 35 degree angle.

Reactions: marvin616

VN Store

Back