Pruitt on garland’s return

Fonz

“I told you guys before when you asked me this: The portal, a lot of people look at it as a bad thing; I’m not one that looks at it that way,” Pruitt said on Tuesday. “You’re talking about a young man that comes here as a freshman, he had several obstacles to go through physically. He was thinking about possibly transferring. We supported him all the way through, and in the end he decided to come back here. He’s here. We’re excited that he’s here.”

“I think the guy has lots of ability,” Pruitt said of Garland. “He didn’t get to go through spring, but he took some reps out there today, and he’s gotta go through a little bit of acclimation here. We have a plan for him. He’s a guy I think that has lots of upside, has done everything that we’ve asked him to do in this program since he’s been here.
“So, we’re excited that he’s here, and we’ll see how he responds over the next couple days being back out there.”

“I told you guys before when you asked me this: The portal, a lot of people look at it as a bad thing; I’m not one that looks at it that way,” Pruitt said on Tuesday. “You’re talking about a young man that comes here as a freshman, he had several obstacles to go through physically. He was thinking about possibly transferring. We supported him all the way through, and in the end he decided to come back here. He’s here. We’re excited that he’s here.”

“I think the guy has lots of ability,” Pruitt said of Garland. “He didn’t get to go through spring, but he took some reps out there today, and he’s gotta go through a little bit of acclimation here. We have a plan for him. He’s a guy I think that has lots of upside, has done everything that we’ve asked him to do in this program since he’s been here.
“So, we’re excited that he’s here, and we’ll see how he responds over the next couple days being back out there.”

Just read that in a Pruitt voice. Kids gonna be a good one.

Glad to see him back. Not a lot of time to get into the swing of things, but with the 4 game rule, he's still got cards on the table.

If you are thinking redshirt this year, I'm pretty sure he got the 4 game redshirt last season.

Reactions: VOLinPD
Just read that in a Pruitt voice. Kids gonna be a good one.

If we get Solomon eligible to go along with his return, our DL depth just got a whole lot better assuming Garland makes strides and gets his game legs under him quickly. I'll feel a lot better about the coming season with both of those guys suiting up for UT.

I like this response. Go VOLS !

Reactions: Behr and VOLinPD
If we get Solomon eligible to go along with his return, our DL depth just got a whole lot better assuming Garland makes strides and gets his game legs under him quickly. I'll feel a lot better about the coming season with both of those guys suiting up for UT.

I’ve said before many times that at this point I don’t believe Solomon will be eligible and won’t change my stance on it. If I am wrong I’ll happily eat crow but this close to week one I just don’t see it.
I like the addition of Garland he adds depth and really good size. I like the fact we have Georgia St and Chatt that gives him some live reps and practice time for SEC play. It may not be as fast as we all would like but he’ll be a solid addition no less

Pruitt really speaks with intelligence and poise. It seems like we might have got the right guy for the first time in a while. At minimum, he is already better than the last 3 at the press conference.

I like the fact that in this sense he’s a lot like Saban. He only tells you what he wants to tell you and If you don’t like it it’s your problem. He doesent have a pocket full of one liners other than aight which all Vol fans should smile about

Reactions: Alto1 and volmoon
Glad to see him back. Not a lot of time to get into the swing of things, but with the 4 game rule, he's still got cards on the table.
Burned the 4 games and the redshirt last year as a freshman.

It is funny that speaking was a big knock on Pruitt, around the time he was hired. It turned out we were tired of silver tongues and just wanted a real coach. And we accepted Pruitt for being that. Then maybe he figured out he was among friends; I don't know what happened, but he seemed to settle into his job and talk the way we want and need a coach to talk to us. Yes, we'd like him to be a little more blabby because we're hungry for news. But most of us appear to appreciate the way Coach Pruitt takes care of his bidness.

I’ve said before many times that at this point I don’t believe Solomon will be eligible and won’t change my stance on it. If I am wrong I’ll happily eat crow but this close to week one I just don’t see it.
I like the addition of Garland he adds depth and really good size. I like the fact we have Georgia St and Chatt that gives him some live reps and practice time for SEC play. It may not be as fast as we all would like but he’ll be a solid addition no less
Agree...don't think Solomon gets in this year. I tell you, I guess I always kinda realized it, but the ability to have quality practice depth helps so much, and Pruitt has explained why in a way that you quickly understand that it's as much about the 2's as it is about having pretty good 1's but no depth behind them. I never really thought about 1's getting banged up in practice going against the 1's on Defense or Offense during the season, when they really need to recover...maybe that's why we faded so bad the last two games of the year last year. If Garland gets in shape, he'll see progressive action on the field.

Reactions: Golf freak
It is funny that speaking was a big knock on Pruitt, around the time he was hired. It turned out we were tired of silver tongues and just wanted a real coach. We just accepted Pruitt for being that. Then maybe he figured out he was among friends, I don't know what happened, but he seemed to settle into his job and talk the way we want and need a coach to talk to us. Yes, we'd like him to be a little more blabby because we're hungry for news. But most of us appear to appreciate the way Coach Pruitt takes care of his bidness.
He just seems to have alot of logic in how he goes about things. Instead of talking about getting Garland out there to have him compete for playing time, he talks about the plan to work him back into the team...mentioning that he was out in the spring and missed fall camp.

It is funny that speaking was a big knock on Pruitt, around the time he was hired. It turned out we were tired of silver tongues and just wanted a real coach. And we accepted Pruitt for being that. Then maybe he figured out he was among friends; I don't know what happened, but he seemed to settle into his job and talk the way we want and need a coach to talk to us. Yes, we'd like him to be a little more blabby because we're hungry for news. But most of us appear to appreciate the way Coach Pruitt takes care of his bidness.

I’ll say this Pruitt is a salesman but he’s a salesman only when he needs to be. If anyone missed his media day presser that’s what I’m referring to. Making excuses, over selling, etc is not what Pruitt is about and that’s welcomed at least from me. I think we’re all worn completely out on excuses and phrases. Pruitt and Fulmer for that matter are exactly what Tennessee needs right now.

I hope you are right, and I have said it before that we are better off if Solomon isn’t allowed to play this season especially if he is wearing a big brace. Let the guy heal and come back and play along side the DLs we develop this year, including Garland and a healed up Emmit Gooden. Maybe we will get some great DLs to add to the mix for next year as well and be super deep.

If we return everyone we could return next year, we will compete for the East or more IMO. Especially with Bentley and Bryant gone and possibly Tag, Fromm, and/or Franks leaving early.

It's gonna take a couple weeks to get adjusted though....should he ready by BYU week or UF

I hope you are right, and I have said it before that we are better off if Solomon isn’t allowed to play this season especially if he is wearing a big brace. Let the guy heal and come back and play along side the DLs we develop this year, including Garland and a healed up Emmit Gooden. Maybe we will get some great DLs to add to the mix for next year as well and be super deep.

If we return everyone we could return next year, we will compete for the East or more IMO. Especially with Bentley and Bryant gone and possibly Tag, Fromm, and/or Franks leaving early.

Idk, I’d love to be wrong honestly. I think he’s the game changer we would need in the middle. Wreck offense and create complete havoc.

Idk, I’d love to be wrong honestly. I think he’s the game changer we would need in the middle. Wreck offense and create complete havoc.
We definitely need him. Especially with Gooden out. Just thinking we have more of a chance to win big next year so why not let him heal up? I am not trying to be downer dan, but I am not putting too much stock into this year. My hope is no blowouts and a bowl game!

Last edited:
We definitely need him. Especially with Golden out. Just thinking we have more of a chance to win big next year so why not let him heal up? I am not trying to be downer dan, but I am not putting too much stock into this year. My hope is no blowouts and a bowl game!
Yeah Golden is definitely out.....not even listed on the roster anymore ! ;):p

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
We definitely need him. Especially with Golden out. Just thinking we have more of a chance to win big next year so why not let him heal up? I am not trying to be downer dan, but I am not putting too much stock into this year. My hope is no blowouts and a bowl game!

it's early yet and i've only had one cup of coffee but who the heck is Golden?

VN Store

Back