Growing belief methodical Fulmer gets it done....

madbamahater

Over 35 seasons of going to football games, I've certainly seen my share of ups and downs within the football program. MOST of those seasons were ups until the last decade plus happened.

I'm really starting to gain a lot of faith and trust that Fulmer is going to not only bring UT back to relevancy, he will help build UT back to a serious contender.

I'll admit that I've hated on Fulmer as much as anyone as a fan, especially in the latter part of his coaching career. I still argue he made very costly head scratching hires that were very instrumental in his being let go as coach (don't want to get into Hamilton discussion, he ruined the program). But, enough of that..... I want to focus on all the good and smart decisions Fulmer made along the way (there are plenty)

The current Fulmer reminds me of the old Fulmer. The old Fulmer that was driven and hungry and competitive as hell to piss off his rivals and always keep a leg up on the competition. There is a long way to go, but the seeds are being planted.

Hiring Pruitt away from Bama ended up paying some dividends as it very well may have cost Bama another title. Hiring Chaney away from your division rival, who is clearly the top program in your division is a win. Especially after the so-called long wait to hire an OC with the perception that it was going badly...all the while having a plan and their guy all along....UGA can act like it's no big deal and that they weren't happy with Chaney...but that's a lie.....it is a huge deal and he's responsible for MUCH of UGAs success over last few seasons...

The hiring of Tee Martin.....not only is Tee a UT legend and title winner, he's a Bama native. Fulmer beat out Bama and others for Tee's services as a recruiter. It was a big deal. The methodical Fulmer was very strategic in his timing of when to pull the trigger on the Chaney and Tee hirings and when to announce. Bringing Tee out for the crowd at TBA against Bama was perfect timing. A way to agitate your rival just a little more and a way to be a thorn in their side.

Pruitt is the head coach and is making these decisions. But, don't think for a bit that Fulmer doesn't have his hands in the mix. It's great to see and feel the competitive spirit back in the football program of UT going directly after the top competition in the conference....

Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.

Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.

A debacle is pretty bad, I want to know all the details before I make an objective decision on whether that's what it was.

giphy.gif

Im by no means the president of the Jeremy Pruitt Fan Club, but the OC hire was not a debacle. We kept everything tight-lipped and added an experienced coordinator to a staff that REALLY needed experience..

Because that's what being a fan is all about: drawing the worst possible conclusions when we don't know how things played out.

I'd trade your perspective for another gator fan on these forums in a heartbeat, brother.

Last edited:
I think the biggest positive with Fulmer is he is personally invested in the program. He wants to see UT win again. It is not just a job. I truly believe he will support the program any way necessary. I like it when the talent is in charge, not the bean counters. Take Apple for example. With Jobs they innovated, spent the money on R&D and lead the world. Since he died the bean counters have taken over and all they do is recycle old ideas and their stock is plummeting. Fulmer can't take the program any lower than it already has gotten so we might as well give a guy who at one time was the winning-est active coach in the NCAA a chance.

Because that's what being a fan is all about: drawing all the worst possible conclusions when we don't know what happened behind the scenes.

I'd trade your perspective for another gator fan on these forums in a heartbeat, brother.
Can we trade him for Grude Awakening? That dude was hilarious 😆

Yeah...soooo objective. They kept a really tight lid on the OC search and that led to a lot of speculation which led to someone like you calling it a debacle. In hindsight, it looks like they planned to wrap up a deal with Yurcich after early signing day and the OSU bowl game until Ohio State offered him at the 11th hour. They quickly turned their attention to Chaney and got him hired. That sounds like a well executed search despite Yurcich deciding to go elsewhere. Very little leaked, so some folks got their panties bunched. That's not a Fulmer or Pruitt issue.

As for meddling...I doubt he does any without Pruitt's blessing. Even some UGA fans laugh at that because Pruitt was a no-nonsense guy that didn't care who he pissed off at UGA. If he didn't like it, then he said so. By all accounts, Pruitt and Fulmer are on the same page. Some folks complained about Fulmer meddling in all kinds of things when he was the head coach...they can't help but look for any excuse to roll that complaint out now that he's the AD. Maybe you should let go of your old frustrations with Fulmer the coach and give him more of a chance as AD. It would be a truly objective thing to do.

The only debacle was on vol nation.

Ok debb-e.

Several “we knows” in there. Not sure “we know” any of em. Who did we offer and lose?

The technical term is male bovine feces. The common core term is bull$hit.

It is about time an AD knows what's going on! Summer's Eve Hamilton and Bama Hart had no clue and therefore could not act until it was time to react.

Excellent and insightful post. Thanks and it does appear that Phil is engineering our program for long term success. I about fell out of my chair with the news of Tee coming home and the more I read about Chaney, the more I admire CJP and Phil for this hire. And while battles are won on the field, wars are won in the boardroom. Go Vols!

It's not a debacle if you end up with one of the best OC's in the country. Why this escapes people is beyond me. Also...do you really believe that Fulmer giving 30 seconds of instruction/encouragement at a practice is really that big of an issue. If you think it is I am sure the NCAA is looking to hire a few folks.

Well you just spread a little sunshine there pal.

VN Store

Back