3 QBs Competing For Starting Job

Yes, I had Bailey at the bottom because the other three bring mobility to the table. You don't have to have it, but it is such a bonus when you do have it in addition to everything else. I don't just mean running downfield whether in a designed play or a scramble. I also mean moving around to keep the play alive like Dobbs used to do. That said, I have read the tea leaves a little bit and I think now that Bailey is second, HH third, BM fourth.
Put a 300 pound defensive lineman coming at me and see how mobile I get. Bailey isn't slow.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Ok. What in the spring game gave you the impression he isn’t as good as the others? Because looking at it from my point of view he proved very capable. I’m not interested in arguing so I mean that as a legitimate question. I don’t think most that think HB outplayed Maurer realize that he only completed 3 more passes than Maurer did on just as many attempts and two of those Maurer incomplete passes were dropped by the receivers but perfectly placed. Had they been caught Maurer tops Bailey in passing yards, completion % and rushing yards. I just don’t get it. When a qb does HIS job, that’s all you can ask.

I don't think a whole lot can be taken away from the QB's because of the limitations placed. Bailey may have looked best passing but Hooker and Maurer both had opportunity to run for yards but didn't because of the rules in that game. Hard for a guy to fight his instinct to run. I know I saw Maurer look to pass, then pulled the ball down to run and then looked like wait I can't run and stopped

Either way I'm excited to see who gets the nod. I just don't want a QB merry go round

Reactions: 1vol8
see that's the thing. this isnt even picking, its just my opinion along with the opinion of a few others. wr's dont take nearly as much contact as QBs
Huh? WR's take contact on every play. He's either getting hit by someone or trying to deliver a hit blocking someone. WR's that don't take contact on every play... need to find a place on the bench quickly.

I don't think a whole lot can be taken away from the QB's because of the limitations placed. Bailey may have looked best passing but Hooker and Maurer both had opportunity to run for yards but didn't because of the rules in that game. Hard for a guy to fight his instinct to run. I know I saw Maurer look to pass, then pulled the ball down to run and then looked like wait I can't run and stopped

Either way I'm excited to see who gets the nod. I just don't want a QB merry go round
I’m not sure what limitations were supposed to be but Maurer took off a few times when nothing was there. If I had to guess I’d say he had around 50 rushing yards on top of his passing production. I do understand that it seemed they were told to throw from the pocket and not run but do we “know” that to be true or is it just a guess because no one but Maurer ran? Idk. Maybe each qb had a different set of instructions based on what the coaches wanted to see from each individual?

I’m not sure what limitations were supposed to be but Maurer took off a few times when nothing was there. If I had to guess I’d say he had around 50 rushing yards on top of his passing production. I do understand that it seemed they were told to throw from the pocket and not run but do we “know” that to be true or is it just a guess because no one but Maurer ran? Idk. Maybe each qb had a different set of instructions based on what the coaches wanted to see from each individual?
The limitation I was talking about was basically the play would be called dead if a defender got close to them.

This is a worthwhile topic. A lot of turnarounds occur when a program finds a gamechanger at QB. The HC then has to sustain it but it gives them a chance. If Jones had been anything but a used car salesman... Dobbs did his part to resurrect the program.

Interesting article here: Vols set ideal timeline for narrowing down QB competition

I predict it will be narrowed down to Bailey and Milton by August 13th (with no particular order among them just yet), leaving Hooker and Maurer in the 3 and 4 slots, with Hooker backing up Milton's role if he were to go down, and Maurer backing up Bailey's role in the same way. Make me eat crow if I'm wrong; laud me if I'm right.

VN Store

Back