3 QBs Competing For Starting Job

I respect your opinion and in some ways I believe you’re correct. But the idea that “loose offense won’t win” I disagree with. We have 4 years of recent evidence that suggest that tight offense won’t win. The few times we had a qb playing loose, we were able to at least compete and make it interesting.

Everything else you said is 100% correct. No matter who starts, the fan base will come unglued at the first sign of trouble.
With 3 or 4 pretty equal QBs on the field, the pressure to perform will be pretty massive.

I recall even Satan getting riled up about the press asking about Tua and Hurts and that ended up like Fromm and Fields. "This QB room isn't big enough for the both of us......"

QB rooms are small and career stakes are high if our guys think they can hit the next level. If Heupel can keep Bailey, Hooker, Maurer and Milton all happy AND win...... I'll be dang surprised because I think at least 3 of these guys wanna play on Sunday.

With 3 or 4 pretty equal QBs on the field, the pressure to perform will be pretty massive.

I recall even Satan getting riled up about the press asking about Tua and Hurts and that ended up like Fromm and Fields. "This QB room isn't big enough for the both of us......"

QB rooms are small and career stakes are high if our guys think they can hit the next level. If Heupel can keep Bailey, Hooker, Maurer and Milton all happy AND win...... I'll be dang surprised because I think at least 3 of these guys wanna play on Sunday.
One of the best qb coaches I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around once said “bore them to death and you’ll have a chance to play on Sunday” - Trent Dilfer. I think that’s true to an extent. But I think he believes that because that’s how he played and it worked for him. However the game has changed. Your most sought after types of qbs now are gunslingers, chance takers and plain loose. Aaron Rodgers, Pat Mahommes are great examples of such. Brett Favre was the originator imo and Green Bay would make that trade with Atlanta again today if given the opportunity. As a fan or coach, Brett would make you nervous and even piss you off. But his high risk/high reward playing style brought them a SB victory and multiple appearances. I’ll go out on a limb and say Justin Fields has a better chance of taking Chicago to the SB than Trevor Lawrence does with Jacksonville and the only reason why is simply the threat to run and the willingness to throw into tight windows.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
One of the best qb coaches I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around once said “bore them to death and you’ll have a chance to play on Sunday” - Trent Dilfer. I think that’s true to an extent. But I think he believes that because that’s how he played and it worked for him. However the game has changed. Your most sought after types of qbs now are gunslingers, chance takers and plain loose. Aaron Rodgers, Pat Mahommes are great examples of such. Brett Favre was the originator imo and Green Bay would make that trade with Atlanta again today if given the opportunity. As a fan or coach, Brett would make you nervous and even piss you off. But his high risk/high reward playing style brought them a SB victory and multiple appearances. I’ll go out on a limb and say Justin Fields has a better chance of taking Chicago to the SB than Trevor Lawrence does with Jacksonville and the only reason why is simply the threat to run and the willingness to throw into tight windows.
I just don't think: sat second string behind Fromm would've gotten Fields the kind of attention he both wanted and deserved. And Chicago vs Jacksonville coaching and organization....... Lawrence is screwed.

As none of our guys have shown top tier QB chops (yet...🤞) I think they'll want some Saturday exposure.

Milton was on a nice big stage in Michigan already, even sitting, and his transfer and pickup by Heupel is very curious. Hooker was a curious pickup by Pruitt because Salter, Bailey, Maurer..... but Pruitt isn't Heupel when it comes to QB talent.

I assume Heupel suspected Salter would crash and burn (one) so maybe a replacement like Milton was a good risk but 2022's Jackson is in the mix next year.

Maurer, Milton, Bailey, Hooker, and Jackson? I just don't think all those guys wanna sit for very long.

I just don't think: sat second string behind Fromm would've gotten Fields the kind of attention he both wanted and deserved. And Chicago vs Jacksonville coaching and organization....... Lawrence is screwed.

As none of our guys have shown top tier QB chops (yet...🤞) I think they'll want some Saturday exposure.

Milton was on a nice big stage in Michigan already, even sitting, and his transfer and pickup by Heupel is very curious. Hooker was a curious pickup by Pruitt because Salter, Bailey, Maurer..... but Pruitt isn't Heupel when it comes to QB talent.

I assume Heupel suspected Salter would crash and burn (one) so maybe a replacement like Milton was a good risk but 2022's Jackson is in the mix next year.

Maurer, Milton, Bailey, Hooker, and Jackson? I just don't think all those guys wanna sit for very long.
Jackson will imo. Too much talent and experience in that room to expect him to be a legitimate contender as a freshman. If Hooker gets passed on by Heupel then I think he’s gone to a smaller school where he can play right away. If Bailey gets beat out by Milton I think he stays but not if he’s behind Maurer. Same can be said with Maurer if he gets beat out Bailey. This could be anywhere from a 5 man race to a 2 man race come 2022. It’s a good problem to have this year though. So let’s hope Heupel makes the right pick for the right reasons because 2022 could look much different.

And my opinion I’d say Jacksonville and Chicago are neck to neck in terms of talent and management. Both teams suck. Both teams lack talent. Both teams lack upper management. It’ll be interesting to see which qb makes the biggest impact. I think Lawrence got screwed by that piss poor hire in Urban Myer because you can’t “run” your way to the playoffs in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Jackson will imo. Too much talent and experience in that room to expect him to be a legitimate contender as a freshman. If Hooker gets passed on by Heupel then I think he’s gone to a smaller school where he can play right away. If Bailey gets beat out by Milton I think he stays but not if he’s behind Maurer. Same can be said with Maurer if he gets beat out Bailey. This could be anywhere from a 5 man race to a 2 man race come 2022. It’s a good problem to have this year though. So let’s hope Heupel makes the right pick for the right reasons because 2022 could look much different.

And my opinion I’d say Jacksonville and Chicago are neck to neck in terms of talent and management. Both teams suck. Both teams lack talent. Both teams lack upper management. It’ll be interesting to see which qb makes the biggest impact. I think Lawrence got screwed by that piss poor hire in Urban Myer because you can’t “run” your way to the playoffs in the NFL.
Nice analysis, I think, of our QB situation. It is a good issue to have.

Jackson will sit next year but I'm not sure Bailey nor Maurer will sit behind Milton because neither will likely see much action if Heupel is successful turning Milton's physique into a dangerous QB, barring injuries to anyone.

As for Jacksonville, Urban Meyer will be a disaster and he has never handled losing nor not being in complete control well. I predict entertaining press conferences......

Reactions: 1vol8
I am pretty confident that Hooker was #1 coming out of the spring. One reason is that he played with the "White" team exclusively and started with them. They appeared to be the "starters" early and for most of the game.

Many go off the O&W game alone. The reports on the whole to me suggested that Hooker was ahead.

Your hate for Maurer is probably residual from the arguments over him and JG. Athletically, his ability is second to Milton. If either of them can become consistent then they have the advantage.

My impression of Hooker in the O&W Game was that he under performed. He certainly did not appear to be the best QB. Seems odd to me that anyone thinks he is.

Very interesting! I've been saying it's Milton or Hooker over in the thread called "Josh Heupel SEC Media Days." However, I thought maybe BM was ahead of HB at the third spot. Sounds like these analysts think otherwise. I am genuinely interested to hear what 1vol8 has to say about the graphic above. That Vol brother often has inside information about Mauer and now would be the time to give us another perspective because BM seems to be in the shadows at the moment.

What was your rationale for BM being the 3 over HB? After spring game I had HB as the 1 then Milton as a wild card when he entered the picture.

My thought is if HB is the best QB, regardless of mobility (he's not terrible but nowhere neat Hooker or Milton) he won't have to run save the wide open opportunities. If the other QBs struggle with accuracy or decision making the defenses will be able to mitigate their impact on the ground. In other words, if we don't hurt them in the passing game the mobility factor becomes less important.

The question then becomes is HB fast enough?

Nice analysis, I think, of our QB situation. It is a good issue to have.

Jackson will sit next year but I'm not sure Bailey nor Maurer will sit behind Milton because neither will likely see much action if Heupel is successful turning Milton's physique into a dangerous QB, barring injuries to anyone.

As for Jacksonville, Urban Meyer will be a disaster and he has never handled losing nor not being in complete control well. I predict entertaining press conferences......
If I had to make a prediction this year I think we see a lot of the three quarterbacks. Milton, Maurer, Bailey. I don’t believe we see a lot of Hendon hooker because he’s just too conservative and that doesn’t fit this scheme. I’m not gonna read too deep into who starts at Bowling Green because if I were a betting man, I’d say that Heupel knows and understands he has THIS year and this year only to make the right decision. So don’t be surprised to see him experiment with who performs best when the pads start popping and to gather 3 games of data to make his “final” decision of pecking order going into the Florida game.

What was your rationale for BM being the 3 over HB? After spring game I had HB as the 1 then Milton as a wild card when he entered the picture.

My thought is if HB is the best QB, regardless of mobility (he's not terrible but nowhere neat Hooker or Milton) he won't have to run save the wide open opportunities. If the other QBs struggle with accuracy or decision making the defenses will be able to mitigate their impact on the ground. In other words, if we don't hurt them in the passing game the mobility factor becomes less important.

Hypothetical question...
QB A. 15/20 170 yards 1 td. 1 fumble lost

QB B 13/20 195. 2 tds 1 INT

QB C. 17/20 135. 0 TDS 0 Turnovers 4 sks

Which QB you want??

Last edited:
If I had to make a prediction this year I think we see a lot of the three quarterbacks. Milton, Maurer, Bailey. I don’t believe we see a lot of Hendon hooker because he’s just too conservative and that doesn’t fit this scheme. I’m not gonna read too deep into who starts at Bowling Green because if I were a betting man, I’d say that Heupel knows and understands he has THIS year and this year only to make the right decision. So don’t be surprised to see him experiment with who performs best when the pads start popping and to gather 3 games of data to make his “final” decision of pecking order going into the Florida game.
I'm just iffy about the quick offense rhythm, timing routes, etc if we try to plug-n-play a QB in a Heupel offense. Against Bowling Green and TN Tech, it's doable and I agree we'll see 2, 3, even 4 QBs because we won't struggle.

Against Pitt, I'm not convinced we will be in a position to mess around. They're not creampuffs and they can gain a lot by playing well against us. The DVR of that game will bounce around the SEC, I think, because they're going to challenge our defense. I'm hoping the offense is hitting on all cylinders because we may need it for that one.

Heupel is going to earn his money with this QB dilemma. If he CAN make us a destination for great QBs, things will really, really improve for the Vols.

QBs are way too inexperienced to play 3 or 4 once the season starts. They will need all the reps they can get in a real game. The only way the pecking order will change from fall practice to season games, is if the starter turns out to be a great practice player but falls flat on Saturdays. It will not be musical chairs. may the best man win. I'm kinda partial to BM and HB because they have been here the longest and had to put up with the bama chump, and they didn't quit. (Fulmer's fault)

QBs are way too inexperienced to play 3 or 4 once the season starts. They will need all the reps they can get in a real game. The only way the pecking order will change from fall practice to season games, is if the starter turns out to be a great practice player but falls flat on Saturdays. It will not be musical chairs. may the best man win. I'm kinda partial to BM and HB because they have been here the longest and had to put up with the bama chump, and they didn't quit. (Fulmer's fault)
Not advocating playing more than one but that ONE? Isn’t cemented if he’s not getting it done. Milton won the starting job out the chute last season but didn’t retain it. Different teaching and sounding board but winning the starting is only half the battle.

Just wanted to see how conditioned and beaten down VN had become....i think they are so used to 1 type that a QB that a moible QB throws them off
Figured I’d be the only one to participate. That’s an interesting question that I wish more would answer

Just wanted to see how conditioned and beaten down VN had become....i think they are so used to 1 type that a QB that a moible QB throws them off
We need superior intellects like yourself to deceive us into shape. 😎

My impression of Hooker in the O&W Game was that he under performed. He certainly did not appear to be the best QB. Seems odd to me that anyone thinks he is.

He played exclusively White on White. Until the end of the game, that was ones on ones. If you break out the numbers just on reps played ones on ones, Hooker had the best numbers. Maurer had about twice HB's yardage but a lower completion %. Bailey performed better than Maurer with their Orange vs Orange reps.

I think Hooker is the "default". I think he has the least upside but is probably the safest of the 4 when you factor in his running ability.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless

Yes, I had Bailey at the bottom because the other three bring mobility to the table. You don't have to have it, but it is such a bonus when you do have it in addition to everything else. I don't just mean running downfield whether in a designed play or a scramble. I also mean moving around to keep the play alive like Dobbs used to do. That said, I have read the tea leaves a little bit and I think now that Bailey is second, HH third, BM fourth.

Reactions: GoVols64
But why do so many think his time is over? Because of last year? I’m getting dangerously close to wanting to spill the beans on Pruitt and what actually happened there but you already know if you’d payed attention to my posts. Pruitt was an absolute cancer for qbs. In fact, I’d say it was to the point that the word “sabotage” is warranted to describe how bad he really was. If it was Chaney’s and Weinkes opinions that were made public, I feel confident that the perception of Maurer would be completely reversed.
I mean he has the chance to prove us wrong.....no doubt. again, its just a shared opinion from yes what has been seen so far. and for me that includes the spring game.

You could say that of all four of them. You chose to just pick on Maurer. I think it is just residual bias from all those heated discussions about JG.

IMHO, if durability is an issue for him at QB then he doesn't need to play WR.

I don't know what it takes to fix Maurer or if he is just as unfixable as JG was. But all of these guys have flaws that have to be overcome for them to be good QB's. Not just Maurer.

PS- I'm not thrilled about the stuff that Maurer posted on social media. Hopefully he's past that... it is counterproductive and NOT what you want from the leader of your team.
see that's the thing. this isnt even picking, its just my opinion along with the opinion of a few others. wr's dont take nearly as much contact as QBs

I mean he has the chance to prove us wrong.....no doubt. again, its just a shared opinion from yes what has been seen so far. and for me that includes the spring game.
Ok. What in the spring game gave you the impression he isn’t as good as the others? Because looking at it from my point of view he proved very capable. I’m not interested in arguing so I mean that as a legitimate question. I don’t think most that think HB outplayed Maurer realize that he only completed 3 more passes than Maurer did on just as many attempts and two of those Maurer incomplete passes were dropped by the receivers but perfectly placed. Had they been caught Maurer tops Bailey in passing yards, completion % and rushing yards. I just don’t get it. When a qb does HIS job, that’s all you can ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: lexkyvol

VN Store

Back