3 QBs Competing For Starting Job

No race will have 0 to do with it why in the world would it have any effect ?? This is a weird take the best Qb will earn the spot as Qb1 based on how they perform.

If you read my question closely, you will see that it was asking about whether public perception might affect the coach's decision. That's not weird at all. If you are a public person living in 2021, especially one connected with a Southern university (e.g., our head coach), you have to consider racial perceptions and the possibility of accusations or criticisms. To what degree will this affect the QB decision? You say zero. Fine; that's an answer to what I asked. But it doesn't make the question invalid.

It's never a bad time to discuss what makes them great. That is IF he truly cares to understand that and become something like that.
They also made their Olines better!
When the oline knows their QB isn't a runner they block with more effort when they see the QB makes the defense pay with his arm and his brain!
Scores points. Gives the skills positions opportunities to shine!

When the Oline knows the QB can't read a defense or make the defense pay in anyway (JG) they block like crap, because there is no use!

I'm glad Maurer runs 4.4- 4.5. It does give the defense something to account for. But a pass covers 40 yards a lot faster...
from watching him play I think it’s obvious he’s a pass first qb. Or maybe it’s not to those who haven’t seen as much as I have. Idk. But I do know we’ve all seen him use both sides of his game. We’ve all watched him work the pocket and throw from it successfully. We’ve also seen him break the pocket and throw successfully on the run as well as commit to running. Just in this past spring game, he had a wide open running lane and hesitated to wait for the pass to open up. It never did and he got what he could. Given his reputation, you’d think he’d get some credit for making a wise decision but hell naw. On that particular play, a 5 yard gain would have been 20+ without the hesitation. Point is he’s shown he can do both but it goes unnoticed by those who choose to label his overall performances by just a few plays.

If you read my question closely, you will see that it was asking about whether public perception might affect the coach's decision. That's not weird at all. If you are a public person living in 2021, especially one connected with a Southern university (e.g., our head coach), you have to consider racial perceptions and the possibility of accusations or criticisms. To what degree will this affect the QB decision? You say zero. Fine; that's an answer to what I asked. But it doesn't make the question invalid.
I’m so sick of people giving into that leftist BS. I hope like hell Heupel is man enough to select his qb based on who was best for the team and not the color of their skin.

He will not factor that in one bit.
Kirby Smart kept Frohm in over Fields and other WHITE Qbs.

Don't fall into the fan idiocy conspiracy.
Smart just didn't pick the better QB.

Well, the thing is, fans, idiots, and conspiracy theorists do exist, and they can exert real pressure, including highly visible pressure in this age of social media. So again, I am not validating anyone's view about what happened at Georgia, only acknowledging that it brought them the evil eye of the media for a while, which is a real thing even if the actual charges are totally invalid. My question was about whether Heupel might factor in the possibility of receiving such pressure (even if it comes from idiots--of which I am not one, insofar as I can tell). It sounds like posters here at VN think Heupel won't be swayed by such considerations. However, a lot of people in highly visible professions certainly would be; they might be tempted to 'virtue signal,' or at least avoid criticism. So I really do think it's valid to consider or discuss whether this could be part of Heupel's overall thinking.

Heupel has said many times that the primary job of the QB is to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers, I.e., the wide receivers and running backs. Given that is job #1, which QB has proven best to get that done? It goes without saying that turnovers are drive killers and game losers, so again, which QB does the best job of protecting the ball?

Heupel has said many times that the primary job of the QB is to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers, I.e., the wide receivers and running backs. Given that is job #1, which QB has proven best to get that done? It goes without saying that turnovers are drive killers and game losers, so again, which QB does the best job of protecting the ball?
He’s also said that he wants his qb to play loose and have fun. Not to be afraid of making a mistake.

He’s also said that he wants his qb to play loose and have fun. Not to be afraid of making a mistake.
Sure, missed reads and missed throws are a commonplace part of every game. Careless turnovers will get you benched.

Sure, missed reads and missed throws are a commonplace part of every game. Careless turnovers will get you benched.
Yes I agree. But I haven’t seen a “careless” turnover by any of our qbs. JG is gone now and I think any one of these guys is an upgrade. JG was an inaccurate, turnover machine and Pruitt seemed to like that and somehow attached that rep to Maurer. Maurer took chances trying to win and made some bad decisions. And Bailey was good for 1-2 fumbles a game from pressure. Point is turnovers are a part of the game and personally speaking, I’d rather lose by trying to win than to lose anyway because our qb was playing too “safe”.

from watching him play I think it’s obvious he’s a pass first qb. Or maybe it’s not to those who haven’t seen as much as I have. Idk. But I do know we’ve all seen him use both sides of his game. We’ve all watched him work the pocket and throw from it successfully. We’ve also seen him break the pocket and throw successfully on the run as well as commit to running. Just in this past spring game, he had a wide open running lane and hesitated to wait for the pass to open up. It never did and he got what he could. Given his reputation, you’d think he’d get some credit for making a wise decision but hell naw. On that particular play, a 5 yard gain would have been 20+ without the hesitation. Point is he’s shown he can do both but it goes unnoticed by those who choose to label his overall performances by just a few plays.

He's got to own the pocket. Period.
What's missing between the ears with him is the only thing that's holding him back.
Too many missed throws that stall the offense. Saw it this spring. Saw it his freshman year. It's a matter of FOCUS and where his motivational fabric is made of!

Harrison Bailey shouldn't even be in the conversation! But he is. He's been working like hell to improve his deficiencies.

He still recruits Milton regardless because of the skillset.

Pruitt ruined everything. So he and everyone else get a pass (pun intended).
Yeah, I'm going to be critical. Because he obviously wants to be a the QB at Tennessee! Is he doing everything he can to make that real??

What do we think of this? Usually stuff like this comes from the coach during pre interview notes. Never heard Maurer mentioned once or shown on a graphic. And between analysts they predicted Hooker or Milton would be the start based on mobility setting them apart from Bailey. View attachment 381757

CJH has repeatedly said he doesn't have to have a DT type QB. It would be a bonus but the guy who spins it better, isn't turnover prone and who can be a great leader will start. His offense doesn't need a mobile QB to be successful ..Drew Lock at Mizzou is a prime example. I'm betting Harrison is our starting QB.

He's got to own the pocket. Period.
What's missing between the ears with him is the only thing that's holding him back.
Too many missed throws that stall the offense. Saw it this spring. Saw it his freshman year. It's a matter of FOCUS and where his motivational fabric is made of!

Harrison Bailey shouldn't even be in the conversation! But he is. He's been working like hell to improve his deficiencies.

He still recruits Milton regardless because of the skillset.

Pruitt ruined everything. So he and everyone else get a pass (pun intended).
Yeah, I'm going to be critical. Because he obviously wants to be a the QB at Tennessee! Is he doing everything he can to make that real??
I believe he is. He’s up to 213 which I feel is a tribute to how much harder he’s working towards that goal. Between the ears, all I can say is I hope so.

Reactions: lexkyvol
I am pretty confident that Hooker was #1 coming out of the spring. One reason is that he played with the "White" team exclusively and started with them. They appeared to be the "starters" early and for most of the game.

Many go off the O&W game alone. The reports on the whole to me suggested that Hooker was ahead.

Your hate for Maurer is probably residual from the arguments over him and JG. Athletically, his ability is second to Milton. If either of them can become consistent then they have the advantage.
that's the thing.....its not hate. it's a shared opinion of many who think his time at QB at Tennessee is over. Athletically he has the tools to be a great wr. i just dont think he could give us 4 straight qtrs of sec qb play

By watching him play. Go watch. IU is no SEC powerhouse... he was pretty awful for a long stretch in that game. He both made bad decisions and terrible throws. At other times, he made throws none of the others can make.

I am not a "Maurer" fan- stop trying to poison the well. I end up defending him more because he gets attacked more. If I were going to bet on the winner at this point I'd place equal money on Hooker and Bailey. I think CJH is far less risk averse than the last two guys... but Maurer and Milton both have to be much more consistent to reach the minimum expectation.

I am a fan of any and all of them. My only desire is to see something much better than we saw the last 4 years.
makes sense

that's the thing.....its not hate. it's a shared opinion of many who think his time at QB at Tennessee is over. Athletically he has the tools to be a great wr. i just dont think he could give us 4 straight qtrs of sec qb play
But why do so many think his time is over? Because of last year? I’m getting dangerously close to wanting to spill the beans on Pruitt and what actually happened there but you already know if you’d payed attention to my posts. Pruitt was an absolute cancer for qbs. In fact, I’d say it was to the point that the word “sabotage” is warranted to describe how bad he really was. If it was Chaney’s and Weinkes opinions that were made public, I feel confident that the perception of Maurer would be completely reversed.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Heupel will find in the SEC that "playing loose" and not being worried about "making a mistake" is fine until KY takes 2 interceptions, grabs the momentum, and embarrasses you at Neyland.

Heupel will find in the SEC that "playing loose" and not being worried about "making a mistake" is fine until KY takes 2 interceptions, grabs the momentum, and embarrasses you at Neyland.
Those plays weren't because JG EVER played "loose". He played too tight his whole career. He hesitated and that caused those types of plays.

Burrough is a good example of a guy playing "loose" and confident.

I assume you’re talking about JG. But when was JG ever playing loose? Maurer got blamed for making bad decisions while JG what is a prime example of one Maurer was being blamed for on Saturdays

Crazy statement because Pruitt never allowed his players to play loose and JG never played loose and was always worried about mistakes… it’s why 1 mistake always killed him… CJH system is what modern day football looks like and I’m sure he will need to continue to tweak and grow as a coach as well… but we will finally start seeing athletes make plays under this coaching staff… will it lead to wins ?? That’s yet to be seen but it will be an exciting brand of football and allow us to actually compete in every game.

Reactions: 1vol8 and sjt18
You could say that of all four of them. You chose to just pick on Maurer. I think it is just residual bias from all those heated discussions about JG.

IMHO, if durability is an issue for him at QB then he doesn't need to play WR.

I don't know what it takes to fix Maurer or if he is just as unfixable as JG was. But all of these guys have flaws that have to be overcome for them to be good QB's. Not just Maurer.

PS- I'm not thrilled about the stuff that Maurer posted on social media. Hopefully he's past that... it is counterproductive and NOT what you want from the leader of your team.

I assume you’re talking about JG. But when was JG ever playing loose? Maurer got blamed for making bad decisions while JG what is a prime example of one Maurer was being blamed for on Saturdays
But you were talking about having BM learn to wait a little before tucking it in to see if something develops, then about JG waiting too long and throwing the pick 6.

Mark my words: the first int our QB throws, we'll see.... "The Second Coming of JG" here and there will be near ints, ints, and pick 6s. There will be bad decisions to run, hesitations to throw, etc. Heupel will be criticized and we'll see: "Is _____ the guy? Is he too loose? Is he taking too many chances? What is wrong with Heupel letting this guy just sling it wildly?"

Loose offense won't win. The SEC D is too quick. Watch. I'll be here.

But you were talking about having BM learn to wait a little before tucking it in to see if something develops, then about JG waiting too long and throwing the pick 6.

Mark my words: the first int our QB throws, we'll see.... "The Second Coming of JG" here and there will be near ints, ints, and pick 6s. There will be bad decisions to run, hesitations to throw, etc. Heupel will be criticized and we'll see: "Is _____ the guy? Is he too loose? Is he taking too many chances? What is wrong with Heupel letting this guy just sling it wildly?"

Loose offense won't win. The SEC D is too quick. Watch. I'll be here.
I respect your opinion and in some ways I believe you’re correct. But the idea that “loose offense won’t win” I disagree with. We have 4 years of recent evidence that suggest that tight offense won’t win. The few times we had a qb playing loose, we were able to at least compete and make it interesting.

Everything else you said is 100% correct. No matter who starts, the fan base will come unglued at the first sign of trouble.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
3 QBs Competing For Starting Job

This is our best recruiting tool in decades. We need players and ALL positions are open!!

VN Store

Back