3 QBs Competing For Starting Job

I like Maurer but the recklessness is an issue. He makes poor decisions and puts his body in danger too often. Bailey is solid, but lacked "zip" in the games I saw. Seemed like the ball took forever to get to the receiver. I am not surprised that Hooker and Milton are contenders. The other two left the door open for them.

I wouldn't take too much value in what ESPN says or doesn't say. They have become more interested in ratings and politics than sports as of late. I don't watch their "shows," just sporting events they broadcast, and often muted. I used to hate the CBS guys the most, but Herbstreit is making his way on my mute list. The guy never shuts up.
Certainly agree with everything you said in the second paragraph! ESPN has become totally unwatchable for me and everyone I know. The games with the sound down is the only time ESPN is on at my abode.

You are probably reading too much into the O&W game. Apparently it was HB's best performance of the spring and needs to be weighed against many of his best plays coming against guys who will be scout team.

Hooker probably shares more in common with Bailey than Milton or Maurer. He doesn't have a big arm. He has to make good decisions, distribute the ball well, and work the short to intermediate game. Bailey has a better arm than Hooker but Hooker has mobility. Maurer is fast and has a big arm. He makes big plays and then boneheaded ones. Milton is the most physically gifted overall. From watching his video at Michigan, he is more inconsistent than Maurer.

HB's fate is not completely in his own hands. He needs to be pretty much perfect at what he does- quickly find the right guy and deliver the ball. If Maurer or Milton overcome their inconsistency, both have more arm and athleticism than HB.

For me, Hooker is the default right now. IMO, he isn't going to have great arm strength or improve his running ability enough but he's currently the lowest risk.
I’m not reading into nothing more than watching the sport all these years. I’m giving what I feel in my opinion the best option. Hooker and Milton are gonna make the same mistakes no matter what. You can put them in the same category as your statement you made on BM...Boneheaded mistakes. People need to get over mobility and arm strength. We have a very very good Wr. group and they need accuracy...

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I’m not reading into nothing more than watching the sport all these years. I’m giving what I feel in my opinion the best option. Hooker and Milton are gonna make the same mistakes no matter what. You can put them in the same category as your statement you made on BM...Boneheaded mistakes. People need to get over mobility and arm strength. We have a very very good Wr. group and they need accuracy...
Not attacking you but guys do improve. And raw athleticism and arm talent matter. Heupel's statement that Milton is a smart QB was encouraging as are reports that he's coachable. He has the highest ceiling of the 4.

Hooker apparently made the least mistakes in camp before HB had a good spring game. Those were the reports anyway. The suggestion was actually that HB was trailing by a pretty decent margin headed into the O&W game. But Bailey did show his potential value in the O&W game. So let the competition play out.... it could be him.

I just want the best guy. I don't have a "favorite" other than better than we've seen for the last 4 years.

If neither Milton or Maurer can cut down on mistakes then Hooker or Bailey will be the "ball distributor". If that happens then Maurer will most likely finish his career somewhere else. Same is true of Bailey if he falls too far behind. The door also opens for the kid from IN if Heupel feels like he's "settling".

Reactions: LittleVol
I don’t think Maurer sees the field again as a Vol

I think so, too. He's a good QB. But we have four good QBs. At some point, you just have to go down to three. I don't know when that point is...but it's rare to be in-season and have four equally viable QBs rotating and playing. CJH surely knows this. I think he's bringing the number down to three right now. I really do hope I see Brian Maurer playing ball on Sundays...whatever route through college he takes.

I think it is saying that his initial burst (acceleration) is fastest amongst those testing on Friday, but not his final top speed. Acceleration is a good asset to have as QB, though. Not sure what the difference between Skill and Big Skill is (maybe they call WRs, RBs, and DBs "Skill", and everyone else "Big Skill"? What I find really interesting is that we know Hyatt is legitimately fast with verified track times and play on the field. Yet Jones and Peyton are within .5 mph top speed of him here. We should have a legitimately fast receiver group this year. Also, good to see Rucker as the fastest tested on this day. I've felt our db group lately could use a bit more speed.

I believe you're correct.

I think our WR group is probably the fastest in the country. I didn't say BEST. Just the fastest.

Laser timed:
Hyatt 4.31
Jones 4.36
Holliday 4.38
Payton 4.41
Calloway 4.43
Coby 4.47
Merrill 4.49

That's 7 guys running sub 4.5
Speed WRs in a fast paced offense when done right is lethal! Not to mention guys like Tillman who have good football speed and catches everything!

It's hilarious how bad beldar misused the very talent he had an eye for!

People talking about Kentucky being 2nd in the east lol. With no offense and a revamped defense.

Folks juiced up on Milton need to go watch video from Michigan. You can see elite arm talent. He's a willing power runner but he isn't as "mobile" as you might think- he won't remind you of Dobbs. When he's hot... he's really good. When he's cold... he's downright awful. He's wild and throws to the other team too much.

He's further from being "consistent" than Maurer based on his play at Michigan.

sjt18, I think you are a great VN poster. What you say might have some basis in the film from Michigan. But I think you are wrong about where Milton is right now. Heupel is very high on him. He said: Joe’s got a unique skill set, a strong arm, accurate passer. I think he's a very bright young man that's picked up on what we've done so far really well. He's talented. He can spread the football field from sideline to sideline and vertically and has a unique skill set with his size and mobility to use his feet as a weapon as well.

And I didn't even quote the part where Heupel extols Milton's leadership ability too.

Your evaluation that Milton is 'downright awful' and is 'wild' and 'throws to the other team too much' is simply is not shared by the Vols' head coach.

@1vol8 has entered the chat.
1vol8 is just browsing. After arguing with several of you guys for the past few years, it’s become tiresome and therefore you all can relish in your own opinions. Count me out because I’m not interested in arguing with those that disagree with whatever I say. Just remember, there’s a surprise every year.

Sounds like a great way to lose to Kentucky at home
No. The tried and true method is to keep trotting out the guy who fails ON THE FIELD and insist that he gives you the best chance to win. There’s a more than probable chance that the quarterback who shines best in simulated games and practice reps doesn’t match that performance when the plays count. So Fall camp may determine the starter against Bowling Green, but we’ll know our starter by Florida.

1vol8 is just browsing. After arguing with several of you guys for the past few years, it’s become tiresome and therefore you all can relish in your own opinions. Count me out because I’m not interested in arguing with those that disagree with whatever I say. Just remember, there’s a surprise every year.

Had any contact recently with Brian M? What's the young man saying these days, whether to you, on social media, or through mutual acquaintances? Got any tidbits for us?

sjt18, I think you are a great VN poster. What you say might have some basis in the film from Michigan. But I think you are wrong about where Milton is right now. Heupel is very high on him. He said: Joe’s got a unique skill set, a strong arm, accurate passer. I think he's a very bright young man that's picked up on what we've done so far really well. He's talented. He can spread the football field from sideline to sideline and vertically and has a unique skill set with his size and mobility to use his feet as a weapon as well.

And I didn't even quote the part where Heupel extols Milton's leadership ability too.

Your evaluation that Milton is 'downright awful' and is 'wild' and 'throws to the other team too much' is simply is not shared by the Vols' head coach.
You put it in bold and it seems more relevant? We all saw the quote and gleaned something different. 😏

Not attacking you but guys do improve. And raw athleticism and arm talent matter. Heupel's statement that Milton is a smart QB was encouraging as are reports that he's coachable. He has the highest ceiling of the 4.

Hooker apparently made the least mistakes in camp before HB had a good spring game. Those were the reports anyway. The suggestion was actually that HB was trailing by a pretty decent margin headed into the O&W game. But Bailey did show his potential value in the O&W game. So let the competition play out.... it could be him.

I just want the best guy. I don't have a "favorite" other than better than we've seen for the last 4 years.

If neither Milton or Maurer can cut down on mistakes then Hooker or Bailey will be the "ball distributor". If that happens then Maurer will most likely finish his career somewhere else. Same is true of Bailey if he falls too far behind. The door also opens for the kid from IN if Heupel feels like he's "settling".
Like earlier I agree with you....But until they find a more pure passer that’s also mobile. Then I think you have to take the least mobile but pure passer. If not we’re giving up the talent on the field to a scrambler that’s not gonna be accurate and throw picks at crucial junctures in a ball game or drives. Bailey is picking up the pieces that weren’t in his repertoire in his FRESHMAN YEAR! He’s had to adjust to why not me and this off season is huge for him. I think he rises above all to become that starter. Just because he’s been there done that. Always being the starter and not going there again. The Manning camp and just the freshman experience is gonna light that fire. He also will improve as your making statement of the other ones. The COMP is on !!!! May the best man win

You put it in bold and it seems more relevant? We all saw the quote and gleaned something different. 😏

The bold is just for convenience in noticing it. Every word is relevant to the point I was making. And I can only glean what the words themselves say, which is that the head ball coach thinks highly of this player. It's much more than bland coach-speak. It's genuine praise. To my knowledge, he hasn't spoken so highly of the other three QBs. I would be curious to read anything that Heupel has said about HB, HH, or BM. Please post it, anyone who has that info.

Like earlier I agree with you....But until they find a more pure passer that’s also mobile. Then I think you have to take the least mobile but pure passer. If not we’re giving up the talent on the field to a scrambler that’s not gonna be accurate and throw picks at crucial junctures in a ball game or drives. Bailey is picking up the pieces that weren’t in his repertoire in his FRESHMAN YEAR! He’s had to adjust to why not me and this off season is huge for him. I think he rises above all to become that starter. Just because he’s been there done that. Always being the starter and not going there again. The Manning camp and just the freshman experience is gonna light that fire. He also will improve as your making statement of the other ones. The COMP is on !!!! May the best man win
I'm not dismissing his chances or your opinion. If the two more athletic guys can't overcome their problems then either Hooker or Bailey will have the job.

Nothing personal but if it is Hooker then I expect to be frustrated by his inability to push the ball downfield.

I'm just not writing anyone off yet. I hope by the end of August it is a neck and neck battle between 4 guys who can win in the SEC. I think mobility is important but only after several other things starting at the top with decision making. That's where Bailey will have to win the job if he does. Same for Hooker.

I haven't written him off at all.

I think Bailey and Hooker have the best shot as we stand today based on what I've personally seen in games from each of the 4. I have defended Maurer more than I wanted to simply because some took unfair shots. He has consistency problems along with very good talent.

But if you want an honest answer... Milton has the highest ceiling. The only damper on my excitement over him is what I stated about his past play. If he can or is or has overcome those problems then I would LOVE to see him as the starter. When he was cold, it was ugly. When he was hot... he made some of the prettiest, tight window throws you'll ever see. And some of them were 30-40 yards downfield. His mobility IMO would be more of an asset in designed runs than broken fields. IOW's, I didn't see very good "escapability" in his Michigan play. Like I said elsewhere in defending Bailey, if I have my rathers... I don't want to see any of the QB's running down the field with the ball. I want to see WR's, TE's, and RB's making those big plays.

PS- none of his problems were ever physical ability. Decision making will be the most critical factor for the winner of the job.

Tennessee currently does not have a quarterback who can compete successfully at an SEC level. They just don't. Heupel is going to have to develop one of these kids into that but it won't be there come September 2nd. He really can't afford to use the 2nd as a "scrimmage" to try and determine the best QB going forward. The following week is a toss up type game that Tennessee could win with decent QB play. There are not many of those on the schedule and if he can't get decent QB play, then he is staring at losses. So game one likely boils down to playing his top 2 choices to find which is going to give him the best shot at beating Pitt.

Doesn't mean the Pitt starter is the solution for the entire season. Just means it is who JH thinks gives them best shot in that game. He might not be able to decide on the guy for the season until well into October. That is what happens when you don't have someone who is already SEC level. That is no different than what we have witnessed during the Pruitt years.

JMO

Tennessee currently does not have a quarterback who can compete successfully at an SEC level. They just don't. Heupel is going to have to develop one of these kids into that but it won't be there come September 2nd. He really can't afford to use the 2nd as a "scrimmage" to try and determine the best QB going forward. The following week is a toss up type game that Tennessee could win with decent QB play. There are not many of those on the schedule and if he can't get decent QB play, then he is staring at losses. So game one likely boils down to playing his top 2 choices to find which is going to give him the best shot at beating Pitt.

Doesn't mean the Pitt starter is the solution for the entire season. Just means it is who JH thinks gives them best shot in that game. He might not be able to decide on the guy for the season until well into October. That is what happens when you don't have someone who is already SEC level. That is no different than what we have witnessed during the Pruitt years.

JMO

Yeah okay hope you like crow… we have plenty enough SEC talent in the QB room with a Qb guru this is very ideal and a coaching staff that knows how to build around different types of Qbs… hope you don’t hide when we have good Qb play during the season.

Yeah okay hope you like crow… we have plenty enough SEC talent in the QB room with a Qb guru this is very ideal and a coaching staff that knows how to build around different types of Qbs… hope you don’t hide when we have good Qb play during the season.

ha ha... I've never hidden.

SO which of these QBs has played at an SEC level to compete versus SEC teams?

Reactions: BoroVol93
I figured the 3 would be Milton, Hooker and Maurer since they're mobile QB's, not in ay particular order.
I'm hearing more Milton talk than anything though.
I just hope they don't do the musical chairs thing and settle in on one QB soon. I think the sooner either of the guys know they're the man, the sooner they can settle in and also their team mates

ha ha... I've never hidden.

SO which of these QBs has played at an SEC level to compete versus SEC teams?
When has a coach heuple team ever had bad Qb play? I’m not saying they have the stats to say they can play at an SEC level if they did the last coach wouldn’t have been fired. But to act like they don’t have the talent arm strength, mobility, accuracy, mobility is silly they just have not had the consistency and no where near the level of coaching and system that they will have with CJH…

Maurer has had a long time now to be "the man" in Knoxville during a period when Tennessee had some putrid QBs on its roster. He didn't get it done. Now you have a new regime and new QBs brought in over the top of him. His window of opportunity is closed barring some catastrophic injuries.

I dont think he will ever throw a pass at UT again.

With the previous regime, Baldar the Conehead, no one, and I mean NO ONE, was going to start over JG . . . JG would have to be on life support in the intensive care unit at UT Medical Center to be benched. PERIOD!

We saw this time and time again . . . Mauer or Baily never had a fighting chance to see the field over JG! The only field time they DID see was when JG broke his hand or when games were out of reach.

CJH has four viable QBs to work with . . . who starts? God and CJH only know and they ain't telling!

GBO

When has a coach heuple team ever had bad Qb play? I’m not saying they have the stats to say they can play at an SEC level if they did the last coach wouldn’t have been fired. But to act like they don’t have the talent arm strength, mobility, accuracy, mobility is silly they just have not had the consistency and no where near the level of coaching and system that they will have with CJH…

Oh, he might get some decent QB play but all that has gotten him in the past is 6 SEC wins in 16 games. Maybe we will be happy winning 38% of the games with GOOD QB play.

David Cutcliffe had the best QB in Tennessee history and could never beat Florida. At times, its a lot more than a coach getting GREAT QB play to compete.

I haven't written him off at all.

I think Bailey and Hooker have the best shot as we stand today based on what I've personally seen in games from each of the 4. I have defended Maurer more than I wanted to simply because some took unfair shots. He has consistency problems along with very good talent.

But if you want an honest answer... Milton has the highest ceiling. The only damper on my excitement over him is what I stated about his past play. If he can or is or has overcome those problems then I would LOVE to see him as the starter. When he was cold, it was ugly. When he was hot... he made some of the prettiest, tight window throws you'll ever see. And some of them were 30-40 yards downfield. His mobility IMO would be more of an asset in designed runs than broken fields. IOW's, I didn't see very good "escapability" in his Michigan play. Like I said elsewhere in defending Bailey, if I have my rathers... I don't want to see any of the QB's running down the field with the ball. I want to see WR's, TE's, and RB's making those big plays.

PS- none of his problems were ever physical ability. Decision making will be the most critical factor for the winner of the job.

Well said...thanks. Good words.

Reactions: sjt18
Tennessee currently does not have a quarterback who can compete successfully at an SEC level. They just don't. Heupel is going to have to develop one of these kids into that but it won't be there come September 2nd.
There is plenty of talent in the room. Heupel will however have to reduce it to two serious contenders pretty quickly in order to focus development on them. Not having a QB who can compete at any given level isn't new when you replace a QB. Manning was spoon fed when he became the starter. But progressively those new starters are trusted more. How fast you think that happens is partly dependent on how good you think Heupel is with QB's and offensive schemes/playcalling. Having four guys with ability pushing each other isn't a bad thing either. Many times over the past 30 years UT's new starter wasn't challenged by anyone else.

You are essentially describing the situation for every new program with a new QB starter.

Reactions: volinthenorth

VN Store

Back