3 QBs Competing For Starting Job

We had lousy, lousy QB coaching. I think Weinke and Pruitt did incredible damage to these guys. My hope is a that Hueple can fix their problems and salvage the careers of Mauer and Bailey. No way is every QB on that roster a bust. That being said, I think Milton is going to make a strong push for the backup before getting the starting job.

There's no way you bring in TWO QB transfers like Milton and Hooker in one year if you have faith in the guy already there. It's really hard to un-program bad coaching. JG was broken before Pruitt got ahold of him.

Bailey has a shot, but it's too late for Maurer I think.

There's no way you bring in TWO QB transfers like Milton and Hooker in one year if you have faith in the guy already there. It's really hard to un-program bad coaching. JG was broken before Pruitt got ahold of him.

Bailey has a shot, but it's too late for Maurer I think.
HEUPEL didn’t “bring in TWO”. Hooker was on Pruitt’s watch.

I just hope we play the guy that practices the best in the week leading up to each game *ducks for shoe*
Well that's probably what's going to happen.
Hopefully it carries over to the game.
But you're not going to play the guy that sucks at practice. Its NOT only the QB practicing. All the others guys need the timing and rythm too, so

I agree but I never heard Heupel or anyone else mention Maurer one time. Maybe he didn’t think to interject him into the conversation or on purpose but it’s an interesting observation.
Also, many times the things they note come from the coaches before the interview or game.
If that "silence" is a statement about Maurer being in the race then Heupel did him a gross disservice by not cutting him loose when the portal window was open. But the truth is that this is a 4 player competition until performance separates them. Maurer based on most reports would have been #2 coming out of spring. It is possible that he regressed and the others got better over the summer... but even so it isn't something that a coach would indicate before fall practice.

Folks juiced up on Milton need to go watch video from Michigan. You can see elite arm talent. He's a willing power runner but he isn't as "mobile" as you might think- he won't remind you of Dobbs. When he's hot... he's really good. When he's cold... he's downright awful. He's wild and throws to the other team too much.

He's further from being "consistent" than Maurer based on his play at Michigan.

Maurer has had a long time now to be "the man" in Knoxville during a period when Tennessee had some putrid QBs on its roster. He didn't get it done. Now you have a new regime and new QBs brought in over the top of him. His window of opportunity is closed barring some catastrophic injuries.

I dont think he will ever throw a pass at UT again.
OR... he played for a HC whose bias hurt his development and prevented him from playing his way into the job. He now has a fresh opportunity, still has talent, and will be one of 4 guys to battle it out in August. You may be assuming that his opportunity to "be the man" was much greater than it actually was.

For what very little it is worth, I've gone from leaning toward Hooker to close to even between Hooker and Bailey. Physically Milton is the best of them. But there's a reason a less physically gifted QB at Michigan beat him out. Maurer and Milton BOTH do some "great" things but inconsistency and mental errors plague both of them. Both need to significantly reduce mental errors to win the job. Bailey is the least likely to throw into trouble and the most likely to use the short game. He can't run and doesn't have a great deep ball. Hooker's decision making isn't as clean as HB but he can run and is also effective in the short game.

I still think Mauer is in a position to be the guy... I think he had a good Spring From What I've read and seen and believe his let it fly at any cost style( running and passing) Will serve him well in this fast pace offense with better Coaching. I just think eveyone is prematurely leaving him off their lists of possible starter. Although I am pulling for him( I Like underdogs), I just want us to win... so may the best man win and may that Man, whomever he is, lead us to many Victories!

Well that's probably what's going to happen.
Hopefully it carries over to the game.
But you're not going to play the guy that sucks at practice. Its NOT only the QB practicing. All the others guys need the timing and rythm too, so
Sounds like a great way to lose to Kentucky at home

I still think Mauer is in a position to be the guy... I think he had a good Spring From What I've read and seen and believe his let it fly at any cost style( running and passing) Will serve him well in this fast pace offense with better Coaching. I just think eveyone is prematurely leaving him off their lists of possible starter. Although I am pulling for him( I Like underdogs), I just want us to win... so may the best man win and may that Man, whomever he is, lead us to many Victories!

My thoughts exactly

IMO, Heupel has to make a decision pretty quickly in Fall about the QB. With a high tempo offense, it's reads and reps that gets the offense prepared. The QB rhythm, his reads, his ability to just execute quickly and efficiently is heavily determined by the situations and reps he's seen.

If you're dividing the reps among 3-4 guys for too long in fall practice, "the guy" won't have gotten enough reps to make good reads when challenged with tricky D alignments and he won't have a solid rhythm with the team to avoid false starts and jumps.

With a tempo offense, you can't just "plug in" a QB successfully.

Let me explain something that would be very very good info to keep in mind.

The SEC Network and it’s analysts, and ESPN as a whole, know less about Tennessee’s roster than most of your average posters on this board. They follow the “hot” teams (right now that’s UGA, Bama, Texas AM), and only know who the key players are on all other rosters.

Without even digging in, I can tell you for sure they are basing their “3 QB’s” statement on the fact that Bailey was our most recent starting QB and we went and found 2 transfers. They are operating under the assumption those are the only 3 QB’s we have because those are the only ones that were mentioned in the quick “UT Summary” they read up on before Media Days got started.
This. During the segment in OP’s screenshot, Heupel actually mentions that it is a 4 man competition.

Folks juiced up on Milton need to go watch video from Michigan. You can see elite arm talent. He's a willing power runner but he isn't as "mobile" as you might think- he won't remind you of Dobbs. When he's hot... he's really good. When he's cold... he's downright awful. He's wild and throws to the other team too much.

Im VERY puzzled, other than you specifically being a Maurer fan how you came to this conclusion.

I knew this would happen. Folk read too much into Hooker's int in the spring game when it was the RT's fault for allowing himself to get blown off the ball back into Hooker's arm while throwing.

Yes, Bailey looked good in the spring game. I think he is capable. Hooker and Milton may have been under bad coaching, who knows?

What we do know and have seen in orange is Maurer. i think he's make a great wr, but qb just not there with him!

Im VERY puzzled, other than you specifically being a Maurer fan how you came to this conclusion.
By watching him play. Go watch. IU is no SEC powerhouse... he was pretty awful for a long stretch in that game. He both made bad decisions and terrible throws. At other times, he made throws none of the others can make.

I am not a "Maurer" fan- stop trying to poison the well. I end up defending him more because he gets attacked more. If I were going to bet on the winner at this point I'd place equal money on Hooker and Bailey. I think CJH is far less risk averse than the last two guys... but Maurer and Milton both have to be much more consistent to reach the minimum expectation.

I am a fan of any and all of them. My only desire is to see something much better than we saw the last 4 years.

Agree...I also think when CJH was speaking (Milton) about special skill sets. In my mind I was hearing coming in a game at specific times. Where a team may be stuffing short yardage at critical moments. Bring in the big mobile Qb. and make them change up or play fake run/pass. Keeping the defense on there heels or thinking run. This is the SEC and these defenses may be having to adjust to the high power offenses. But this is SEC defenses and they will adjust to the mobile Qb. in the moment. Inconsistent passing won’t be enough and the interceptions will once again kill us. We are sitting on.....in my opinion...a bunch of very fast and talented skill set players. So not to be able to get the ball to them in space with accurate passing would be useless. HB is the only Qb. that gives us that consistency. BM is the total package if he could cut down the bad decisions. That also goes for Milton. Hooker I’ll just say pick six in spring game is the mistakes that you get out of last second thoughts. Milton n Hooker are pretty much the same skill sets. You’ve got to learn to know when to throw the ball away and live another day. HB is our Qb. In my opinion and I hope I’m wrong with Milton and he can put it all together in this offensive scheme someday. I think we have a good nucleus setting up behind center. Go Vols !!

I knew this would happen. Folk read too much into Hooker's int in the spring game when it was the RT's fault for allowing himself to get blown off the ball back into Hooker's arm while throwing.

Yes, Bailey looked good in the spring game. I think he is capable. Hooker and Milton may have been under bad coaching, who knows?

What we do know and have seen in orange is Maurer. i think he's make a great wr, but qb just not there with him!
I am pretty confident that Hooker was #1 coming out of the spring. One reason is that he played with the "White" team exclusively and started with them. They appeared to be the "starters" early and for most of the game.

Many go off the O&W game alone. The reports on the whole to me suggested that Hooker was ahead.

Your hate for Maurer is probably residual from the arguments over him and JG. Athletically, his ability is second to Milton. If either of them can become consistent then they have the advantage.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
What do we think of this? Usually stuff like this comes from the coach during pre interview notes. Never heard Maurer mentioned once or shown on a graphic. And between analysts they predicted Hooker or Milton would be the start based on mobility setting them apart from Bailey. View attachment 381757
First of all 3 QB competitions never work. Not enough reps to go around so let's hope Heupel whittles this down soon. I don't get why he's even considering Milton. He showed at Mich that he has **** for brains. I think Bailey is our best bet with some good coaching

Reactions: LexVol71
Agree...I also think when CJH was speaking (Milton) about special skill sets. In my mind I was hearing coming in a game at specific times. Where a team may be stuffing short yardage at critical moments. Bring in the big mobile Qb. and make them change up or play fake run/pass. Keeping the defense on there heels or thinking run. This is the SEC and these defenses may be having to adjust to the high power offenses. But this is SEC defenses and they will adjust to the mobile Qb. in the moment. Inconsistent passing won’t be enough and the interceptions will once again kill us. We are sitting on.....in my opinion...a bunch of very fast and talented skill set players. So not to be able to get the ball to them in space with accurate passing would be useless. HB is the only Qb. that gives us that consistency. BM is the total package if he could cut down the bad decisions. That also goes for Milton. Hooker I’ll just say pick six in spring game is the mistakes that you get out of last second thoughts. Milton n Hooker are pretty much the same skill sets. You’ve got to learn to know when to throw the ball away and live another day. HB is our Qb. In my opinion and I hope I’m wrong with Milton and he can put it all together in this offensive scheme someday. I think we have a good nucleus setting up behind center. Go Vols !!
You are probably reading too much into the O&W game. Apparently it was HB's best performance of the spring and needs to be weighed against many of his best plays coming against guys who will be scout team.

Hooker probably shares more in common with Bailey than Milton or Maurer. He doesn't have a big arm. He has to make good decisions, distribute the ball well, and work the short to intermediate game. Bailey has a better arm than Hooker but Hooker has mobility. Maurer is fast and has a big arm. He makes big plays and then boneheaded ones. Milton is the most physically gifted overall. From watching his video at Michigan, he is more inconsistent than Maurer.

HB's fate is not completely in his own hands. He needs to be pretty much perfect at what he does- quickly find the right guy and deliver the ball. If Maurer or Milton overcome their inconsistency, both have more arm and athleticism than HB.

For me, Hooker is the default right now. IMO, he isn't going to have great arm strength or improve his running ability enough but he's currently the lowest risk.

I am pretty confident that Hooker was #1 coming out of the spring. One reason is that he played with the "White" team exclusively and started with them. They appeared to be the "starters" early and for most of the game.

Many go off the O&W game alone. The reports on the whole to me suggested that Hooker was ahead.

Your hate for Maurer is probably residual from the arguments over him and JG. Athletically, his ability is second to Milton. If either of them can become consistent then they have the advantage.
Definitely needs to be more consistent.
Athletically he's a pretty distant number 1 imo. Hooker being number 2. Then Milton.

I think you are correct on Hooker.

I think Milton is the starter on Day 1 now that he's here.

Reactions: volinthenorth
So Maurer had the top overall speed? Interesting...
I think it is saying that his initial burst (acceleration) is fastest amongst those testing on Friday, but not his final top speed. Acceleration is a good asset to have as QB, though. Not sure what the difference between Skill and Big Skill is (maybe they call WRs, RBs, and DBs "Skill", and everyone else "Big Skill"? What I find really interesting is that we know Hyatt is legitimately fast with verified track times and play on the field. Yet Jones and Peyton are within .5 mph top speed of him here. We should have a legitimately fast receiver group this year. Also, good to see Rucker as the fastest tested on this day. I've felt our db group lately could use a bit more speed.

VN Store

Back