3 QBs Competing For Starting Job

I’ve talked to him about taking his 3 seconds. But he hit me with a response that I can’t deny. “I’m seeing it from a straight on angle while everyone else is seeing it from a sideline. Gaps look tighter from there. When the gap is there to have an undeniable positive play, why not take it rather than waiting for a play that may not work out?”

For once, I couldn’t answer his question. Can you?

Honestly, no. I hope he gets a shot. Now talk to him about tucking the ball in when he decides to bolt. That looks the same from every angle.

A lot of people have fought with you, 1vol8! We've all seen it. You've hung in there, for sure. Kudos to you for holding onto your views. I think you bring a lot to VN. Ever since the days of JG, and continuing into the current season, the place of Brian Maurer in the Vol QB room has been a great topic to discuss. It has fueled a lot of energy on this board. It has helped all of us pass the time in the offseason, and moan and groan during the season, and basically form a (somewhat dysfunctional) community/brotherhood/sisterhood around our beloved Vols. I hope that whatever comes of Mr. Maurer, you will stick with VN for the long haul. And if it turns out that he transfers somewhere else, I hope you'll keep us apprised of what he's up to. BM has given great effort and sacrificed his body for the Big Orange. Everybody respects him. I think even those who have fought with you respect you for defending your views. And who knows? Maybe BM will become a rock star QB for us or for another team. His story isn't over!!
Brian isn’t going anywhere and neither am I. I’ll just continue to pick and choose topics to get involved in while browsing. But I still believe he’s going to play a much bigger role in the future than many think FOR Tennessee.

Honestly, no. I hope he gets a shot. Now talk to him about tucking the ball in when he decides to bolt. That looks the same from every angle.
I plan on it. It’s weird though because he only recently started doing that since getting to college. He didn’t do it in HS that I remember.

Reactions: sona
I think Coach has already narrowed it down to 2 players who will be getting 1st team snaps come fall. The other 2 will be competing for 3rd QB going into the season. He will need 1 of those 2 to stay as probably one / or both of them will transfer.

First team snaps will be Bailey and Milton. I think Bailey secured his spot based on the O&W game. I think Milton based on what CJH saw during spring practices. Hooker was not his recruit and is no better than the other 3 based on limited film. Maurer basically didn't get to play last year so he got no live action. I think Coach recruited Milton because of his upside potential and none of his current players performing up to his standards during the spring practices. Thus the spring game elevated Bailey. Remember Milton enrolled before the spring game. His upside is truly hard to turn down when questions abound about the 3 he already had.
Of course this could change if either of Milton and / or Bailey stink it up but I still think Hooker is never better than 3rd or 4th depending on if he transfers or one of the others. I don't think Coach sends Bailey to help at the Manning Academy if he is not in the top 2. Milton probably wasn't going to be picked to go since he had just arrived on the team. I know maturity helps, but based on Milton's film last year he doesn't seem to be a quick reading, get the ball out guy. I also don't think Coach brought him in if he didn't think he could help. I actually love Maurer's mental toughness for not giving up when Pruitt basically ignored him, all the while seeing JG stink it up.
One final note. Going all the way back to Jones' coaching days, and he too picked JG to start (and we know how that season went) is it possible JG had something on Tenn, and that is the reason he started from then until last season ended????

Just thought of another possibility as to why only three were talked about. Because the investigation is still “ongoing” it’s very possible that Heupel and media were both told not to talk about anyone involved in the investigation at media day.

I find it hard to believe Mauer is not in this competition. Watching the O&W game, live, I came away feeling Maurer looked great. When I looked at the stats and rewatched it on TV, Bailey had the better day. Both looked significantly above Hooker. None of us has seen Milton with this team but he is a imposing physical figure.

I think this is still a 4 man competition.

coaches put far more stock in the 14 practices / scrimmages prior to the O&W game than the O&W game. that is an exhibition for the fans. its always been that way

I think Coach has already narrowed it down to 2 players who will be getting 1st team snaps come fall. The other 2 will be competing for 3rd QB going into the season. He will need 1 of those 2 to stay as probably one / or both of them will transfer.

First team snaps will be Bailey and Milton. I think Bailey secured his spot based on the O&W game. I think Milton based on what CJH saw during spring practices. Hooker was not his recruit and is no better than the other 3 based on limited film. Maurer basically didn't get to play last year so he got no live action. I think Coach recruited Milton because of his upside potential and none of his current players performing up to his standards during the spring practices. Thus the spring game elevated Bailey. Remember Milton enrolled before the spring game. His upside is truly hard to turn down when questions abound about the 3 he already had.
Of course this could change if either of Milton and / or Bailey stink it up but I still think Hooker is never better than 3rd or 4th depending on if he transfers or one of the others. I don't think Coach sends Bailey to help at the Manning Academy if he is not in the top 2. Milton probably wasn't going to be picked to go since he had just arrived on the team. I know maturity helps, but based on Milton's film last year he doesn't seem to be a quick reading, get the ball out guy. I also don't think Coach brought him in if he didn't think he could help. I actually love Maurer's mental toughness for not giving up when Pruitt basically ignored him, all the while seeing JG stink it up.
One final note. Going all the way back to Jones' coaching days, and he too picked JG to start (and we know how that season went) is it possible JG had something on Tenn, and that is the reason he started from then until last season ended????

I can promise you he is not at a decision point on # 1. that will not happen until a minimum of 10 days into workouts with pads.

He has not even seen Milton in an 11 on 11 setting... no way he has made in top 2.

It seem head coaches almost always want to go with "their guys".

Bailey...Maurer...and Hooker aren't Heupels guys.

Personally hoping Bailey gets the nod based on the small sample size last season but we will see what happens.

If that were the case, why didn’t he play against Georgia Tech and consequently get labeled as a pouter? Oh…that’s right. Dormady and the goddaughter thing conspiracy trumped this one. 🙄

Personally hoping Bailey gets the nod based on the small sample size last season but we will see what happens.
Bailey and Hooker you mean?

Personally, I hope he picks a winner and I really don't care which one it is..

As do we all.

I think all the others have flaws and two of them couldn't nail down starting jobs at other programs.

Thats why I am pulling for Bailey. Better upside long term with a good staff.

They are all his guys now.
Maurer was the only one he recruited, until he brought over Milton. Actually Hooker was recruited to Mizzou as well.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Let's say that Bailey and Milton are the top two QBs and they are neck and neck in terms of ability and potential. Does Heupel feel any pressure to play the black QB and avoid the criticism that Georgia took when they picked the white guy and the black guy left? This question I'm asking is legitimate, it's not about politics, nor does it support one view or another of anything related to race. I am asking if anyone thinks that in a very close call situation, the coach factors in the "bad press" if he chooses the white QB. Clearly, Georgia got bad press and came under pressure for seeming to follow a stereotype of prioritizing a white QB. Even Wikipedia recognizes that this is a real issue, see HERE. Does this factor into Heupel's decision making at all? There are two black and two white QBs on the roster. Whether or not it should, does race play any role in who sees the field?

Let's say that Bailey and Milton are the top two QBs and they are neck and neck in terms of ability and potential. Does Heupel feel any pressure to play the black QB and avoid the criticism that Georgia took when they picked the white guy and the black guy left? This question I'm asking is legitimate, it's not about politics, nor does it support one view or another of anything related to race. I am asking if anyone thinks that in a very close call situation, the coach factors in the "bad press" if he chooses the white QB. Clearly, Georgia got bad press and came under pressure for seeming to follow a stereotype of prioritizing a white QB. Even Wikipedia recognizes that this is a real issue, see HERE. Does this factor into Heupel's decision making at all? There are two black and two white QBs on the roster. Whether or not it should, does race play any role in who sees the field?
No race will have 0 to do with it why in the world would it have any effect ?? This is a weird take the best Qb will earn the spot as Qb1 based on how they perform.

Reactions: LittleVol
If Maurer wins the job and helps the team win games I am all for it.

I look at it as Maurer signed under Pruitt with TN however, not UCF.

I was just pointing out Maurer is just as much a Heupel guy as Milton because they were both heavily recruited by him. But I see your point. There seems to be a track record of style of qb he goes after.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
I’ve talked to him about taking his 3 seconds. But he hit me with a response that I can’t deny. “I’m seeing it from a straight on angle while everyone else is seeing it from a sideline. Gaps look tighter from there. When the gap is there to have an undeniable positive play, why not take it rather than waiting for a play that may not work out?”

For once, I couldn’t answer his question. Can you? Serious question. I don’t mean that snippy.
Becase as shown in the spring game if he holds a little longer he he could throw it for a long 70 yard completion, without risking injury. Percentage wise.

Because many times defenses have a delayed blitz or spy coverage with a these combo defender waiting for him to take off while looking like they're in coverage.

Because Tom Brady and Peyton Manning show you the best way to play QB and neither care to have a positive play with their legs. Controlling the defense is always best done FROM the pocket.

He will not factor that in one bit.
Kirby Smart kept Frohm in over Fields and other WHITE Qbs.

Don't fall into the fan idiocy conspiracy.
Smart just didn't pick the better QB.

Reactions: 1vol8
Becase as shown in the spring game if he holds a little longer he he could throw it for a long 70 yard completion, without risking injury. Percentage wise.

Because many times defenses have a delayed blitz or spy coverage with a these combo defender waiting for him to take off while looking like they're in coverage.

Because Tom Brady and Peyton Manning show you the best way to play QB and neither care to have a positive play with their legs. Controlling the defense is always best done FROM the pocket.
I see where you’re going and you’re right. However Brady and Manning both had o lines in front of them they can trust. Brian never has. His sophomore year of HS he had an average time of 1.8 seconds from snap to sack if he didn’t move. His junior year they improved to 2.1. His senior year was 2.3. When a kid is facing those kinds of numbers, it’s hard to talk to him about Brady and Manning.

I think so, too. He's a good QB. But we have four good QBs. At some point, you just have to go down to three. I don't know when that point is...but it's rare to be in-season and have four equally viable QBs rotating and playing. CJH surely knows this. I think he's bringing the number down to three right now. I really do hope I see Brian Maurer playing ball on Sundays...whatever route through college he takes.

I hope for the sake of some here on VN that HB isnt number 4 and leaves...the wailing amd gnashing of teeth will be intolerable.

I see where you’re going and you’re right. However Brady and Manning both had o lines in front of them they can trust. Brian never has. His sophomore year of HS he had an average time of 1.8 seconds from snap to sack if he didn’t move. His junior year they improved to 2.1. His senior year was 2.3. When a kid is facing those kinds of numbers, it’s hard to talk to him about Brady and Manning.
It's never a bad time to discuss what makes them great. That is IF he truly cares to understand that and become something like that.
They also made their Olines better!
When the oline knows their QB isn't a runner they block with more effort when they see the QB makes the defense pay with his arm and his brain!
Scores points. Gives the skills positions opportunities to shine!

When the Oline knows the QB can't read a defense or make the defense pay in anyway (JG) they block like crap, because there is no use!

I'm glad Maurer runs 4.4- 4.5. It does give the defense something to account for. But a pass covers 40 yards a lot faster...

VN Store

Back