3 out of 4 Transfer Portal Players Unsigned

Most who enter the portal are trying to extend their dying careers in college ball and face the cold reality that their athletic prowess is not as valued as they think it is.

Any star player does not stay "in the portal" very long.
Most have back channel deals cut BEFORE they enter.

Most staffs that raid the portal for players suck at recruiting and won't be around long anyway.

Reactions: Jax_Vol and Hbg
Just look at where most of our players that have transferred have gone. Other than Oklahoma and one to Tx A&M, most have gone to small schools. That should tell you something

Reactions: Volfan1000
It’s a shame that these kids are dealing with this right now, but in a way I’m not too upset about it. College football needs a reset and some of these kids and their parents need to get brought back to life. I don’t blame people for chasing their dreams of possibly playing professional sports, but the #’s are not in their favor. Sometimes it’s best to wait your turn until you’re an upperclassman and keep putting in the work. At least you can be working towards your degree instead of not having a home.

Reactions: tbh
and some of them might not have a team to go back to...the portal is a disaster imo

It’s a risk these players will have to be willing to take. If a pro player turns down a contract offer from their current team to become a FA, they run the risk of getting a worse deal or no deal at all. Not all players who enter the portal are impatient freshmen who are upset about lack of playing time. They go in for a variety of reasons. I think the portal is mostly working as it should and given that it’s February, there is still time for these players to land somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Unfortunately.....transfers haven't fared well at UT. They do great when they leave UT..........and go to smaller "schools"
That’s probably true of most transfers. There are Alvin Kamara and Corderelle Patterson types out there but typically they end up like Keller Chryst.

Reactions: tbwhhs
and some of them might not have a team to go back to...the portal is a disaster imo

Not a disaster - they'll just have to adjust. The concept of the portal is still pretty new and people are figuring out how to use it.

Once it becomes clear to people that entering the portal doesn't necessarily mean you'll draw a ton of interest from other schools, or even if you do transfer the grass isn't always greener on the other side, guys will think twice and I bet the explosion in the use of the portal will subside.

That’s probably true of most transfers. There are Alvin Kamara and Corderelle Patterson types out there but typically they end up like Keller Chryst.
CP was JUCO. but yea. Kamara is the only one that comes to mind that did anything.

Monde London plays in that new Fan Controlled League....does that count???

CP was JUCO. but yea. Kamara is the only one that comes to mind that did anything.

Monde London plays in that new Fan Controlled League....does that count???
Technically, I guess Kamara was JUCO too, but still the same dynamic.

Reactions: peaygolf
Schools shouldn’t have any obligation to retain a slot for an athlete who enters the portal. They should forgive their scholarship when they do.

Reactions: Border Vol
The NCAA should let them form their own team. Kind of like the Olympics do for athletes without a country.

Reactions: Kinger
Two separate groups:
1. JUCO’s usually have grade issues. They can be great players.
2. Older transfers are usually having some skill issues, or a coaching situation.

It isn't just about the players. Programs that accept transfers are giving up scholarship slots. Any transfer coming in still counts toward your 25. Unless the player coming in is very high impact or you are SUPER thin at a position, you are better off using the slot on an incoming freshman who you can develop through your system.

There just isn't enough demand for transfers at P5 programs as compared to all of the players who have thrown their name out there.

So, if the posted article is accurate, there have been about 120 players transfer from one P5 school to another. there are 60 something P5 schools, so that averages about 2 per team, which seems no different than before the portal was ever made available.

Grass is greener, all that....

...life is tough. Its tougher when....

That’s because of two factors. One is the 25 limit. Transfers count against that number. Two, coaches are preparing for spring ball and those that transfer now cannot participate. Teams like Oklahoma only signed 16 in the early period and had room and therefore landed transfers.

Most who enter the portal are trying to extend their dying careers in college ball and face the cold reality that their athletic prowess is not as valued as they think it is.

Any star player does not stay "in the portal" very long.
Most have back channel deals cut BEFORE they enter.

Most staffs that raid the portal for players suck at recruiting and won't be around long anyway.
I would have thought this way too, but no coach works the transfer portal any harder than Dan Mullen... and he is not a bad recruiter.

Reactions: tnutater
I would have thought this way too, but no coach works the transfer portal any harder than Dan Mullen... and he is not a bad recruiter.
He will not be there long. The AA smacked the program. If he can win the East and play bama close i might be proved wrong. Winning covers a multitude of sins.

VN Store

Back