3 Major Changes in College Basketball?

True, but you get my point
Ellis played with his back to the basket until he was a Senior. He didn't shoot from very far outside. I always assumed that he worked on his outside shot, and Devoe let him shoot from there for his future. Maybe I'm wrong.

I would like to see 4 quarters-at 10 mins. Get rid of this hook hold crap and reduce the monitor time for junk. I’m all for protecting players, but basketball is a contact sport . The Bulls, Pistons, Celtics and Lakers all played absolute wars . That was fun basketball. You earned it. None of this flagrant bull$hit where a guy makes incidental contact. You can’t even make an agressive play on the ball trying to block a dunk or layup without it being reviewed.

Ellis played with his back to the basket until he was a Senior. He didn't shoot from very far outside. I always assumed that he worked on his outside shot, and Devoe let him shoot from there for his future. Maybe I'm wrong.

I just used those guys as examples because all three were extremely gifted shooters and we benefited greatly from the 3 ball, at least with Lofton. I wouldn’t mind seeing it moved back though.

I just used those guys as examples because all three were extremely gifted shooters and we benefited greatly from the 3 ball, at least with Lofton. I wouldn’t mind seeing it moved back though.
What difference does it make who gets the opportunity to play? You say a bunch of guys get to play because of the 3. For every one of them there is someone that doesn't get the opportunity because there is a 3. Take away the 3 and you still have 12 players on the roster, just a handful of them are different names.

I understand your point but without the 3 point shot there wouldn’t be but a handful of under 6’4” guys in the game.
Is that a problem? Does it bother you that only 300+ lb guys get to play on the offensive line? Should we change the rules so 250 pounders can excel at left tackle?

1. Move back the 3 point line in college.

2. Any offensive player who initiates contact into the defender should be an automatic offensive foul.

3. Move the foul limit to 6.

What are some of your ideas?

There should be 6 static refs where they can stay in better position to make calls.

Refs should be graded and public rewarded or punished.

Boundaries should be lasered where plays like Edward's shot are not subject to the limitations of human eyes.

Change foul limits to per half. 3 and you sit till the next half.

Nobody on the line for double bonus shots. Just possession change after the second FT.

Move the 3pt line back 2'.

Open court offensive push-offs are automatic fouls. You're supposed to get open with your feet, not a forearm or hands.

No picks or "screens" outside the 3pt line. If you want to run a pick and roll do it from 20' and in. If a shooter wants to earn 50% more points he should have to earn it, not have the incredible hulk wall off defenders where he can shoot uncontested 3's.

Is that a problem? Does it bother you that only 300+ lb guys get to play on the offensive line? Should we change the rules so 250 pounders can excel at left tackle?

Someone has their jimmies rustled this morning.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
What difference does it make who gets the opportunity to play? You say a bunch of guys get to play because of the 3. For every one of them there is someone that doesn't get the opportunity because there is a 3. Take away the 3 and you still have 12 players on the roster, just a handful of them are different names.

What?

Edit: What in the actual hell are you talking about?

Last edited:
A team gets one challenge per game. It can be used to basically challenge anything.

The catch is, you only get one per game even if your challenge was correct and if it’s wrong the other team gets 2 shots and possession. So use it wisely.

I also really like the idea so many others have said. Players no longer fouls out at 5 but any subsequent fouls result in the other team getting 2 shots and the ball.

Last edited:
The NCAA may not make game altering changes quickly (although the 3-PL and the 45 second shot clock began in the same year). Teams build rosters with a certain set of rules and it wouldn't be fair to quickly make big changes. But they really do need to move that 3-PL way back.

I think that Barnes recruited to the philosophy of freedom of movement by offensive players. But the unwritten rule is that fouls are different in the paint versus on the perimeter. Alexander and Fulkerson are too skinny for the way games are called in the paint and Admiral's physical presence is wasted on the perimeter.

I am to the point where we should just get rid of the officials and call violations on themselves like in a pick up game. Might do just as well.

VN Store

Back