3 Major Changes in College Basketball?

During reviews coaches can’t meet with their teams. You reward free timeouts to teams who are behind when you are looking to add .2 seconds on the clock.
Agree, they need to make each team huddle in the corner diagonally across the court on the opposite end from their respective benches.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
1. Move back the 3 point line in college.

2. Any offensive player who initiates contact into the defender should be an automatic offensive foul.

3. Move the foul limit to 6.

What are some of your ideas?

Get rid of the 3-pointer entirely. It has ruined the game. A good, fundamentally sound team can get beat by a lesser team who gets hot shooting the 3. Let's get back to sound fundamentals.

I would even go as far as raising the goal another 1-2 feet and making the court bigger, but that's not going to happen.

Agree, they need to make each team huddle in the corner diagonally across the court on the opposite end from their respective benches.

This should be the first new rule. Coaches constantly get extra timeouts and this is easily fixed.

Get rid of the 3-pointer entirely. It has ruined the game. A good, fundamentally sound team can get beat by a lesser team who gets hot shooting the 3. Let's get back to sound fundamentals.

I would even go as far as raising the goal another 1-2 feet and making the court bigger, but that's not going to happen.
Fundamentally sound teams should shoot 3s better.

Refs no longer allowed to ref games for the teams they root for. That seems like common sense, but apparently not.

Get rid of offensive goaltending. Worst rule in basketball.

And yeah, in general, I get sick of offensive players getting a lot of questionable foul calls in scenarios where they initiated contact.

6 fouls will greatly benefit larger schools, I think.

I like giving an extra foul for overtime games only.

I hate seeing O players jump into D players and the D guy gets the foul. However if this was changed it would make it real hard on O
post players. Heck the D guy just stands there and refuses to move and the posting O player can do nothing (as far as making a post up move).

I’m fine with making the 3 adjustment. I think it would make the college game better.

I would like to see advancement with a time out.

I realize that’s how the game used to be, but nobody would want to watch that today.

The 3-pointer really has ruined much of the game. It would be radical AF, but maybe if beyond the arc was worth 4 points and inside was worth 3 it might make games less monotonous. Right now, except for TN, there's a prevailing strategy of only taking 3s and layups/dunks.

Alternatively, and also radical, make the 3 worth 2.5 points. Daktronics scoreboards would crash even more though.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

Basketball was initially intended to reward shooters, not hulking behemoths. It was considered a finesse game. I like the 3 because it rewards players who can shoot well. I'm all for less brute force. Zion is a terrific talent, but he physically dictates games by force.

2. Any offensive player who initiates contact into the defender should be an automatic offensive foul.

This to me is what needs to be changed the most. I want to say it was the Auburn game but I remember Admiral was going up to block a three pointer but the guy head faked him and Admiral jumped up and as he cane down and stood with his hands up the Auburn guy took his shot and leaned on Admiral and got a foul called.

If you ask me if the player is just standing there with his arms up and a shooter leans into him during his shot that should be an offensive foul since he initiated contact like that

Reactions: amorange

Are you old enough to remember the trial game with the goal at 12 feet instead of 10? It was at U.T , and it seems like 40+ years ago. Nobody could score. It was awful.

Edit: It was the 1967 Orange and White game. It was tried in the pros for a game in the mid-1950's.

Last edited:
1. Eliminate the three point shot. Has slowly ruined the game for me.

2. Eliminate live ball timeouts. Basketball is the only sport where you can defeat great defense by simply signaling to stop play. Imagine if Tom Brady was about to be sacked, and was allowed to just call timeout to stop the play.

3. At 10 fouls team gets choice to shot two free throws or take an uncontested throw in into backcourt. Defense can't cross midcourt until possession occurs.

Reactions: 08Vol

Look what Pistol Pete Maravich did without a 3 pt line. Can you imagine?

Definitely need to move the 3 point line back, I have always thought it was too close. But it would not have mattered where it was for that Cline kid last night.

Should be able to review more plays in the last two minutes. Turner’s ‘fouls’ on the 3 point shots the last couple of games should be reviewable. Of course, that is probably coming from a place of bias.

Reactions: kbear01

VN Store

Back