3-4 Defensive Line Scheme

Let me say upfront, i've never been a big fan of the 3-4. It's so tough to have great depth at the NT position.
Plus I remember the aggressive way Chief implemented the 4-3 in a manner that was incredibly disruptive. But we also got lucky with some good Juco players like Sean Ellis and of course, Leonard Little, who helped us become a destination for the best, fastest DE's in the country. But that was the 90's.
Today the sophisticated defenses are so freaking hybrid and, when implemented by experienced players with the necessary skill set, are so very fluid that no one knows if you're 3-4 or 4-3 at the beginning of the play. Why do you think we're hearing about Q spending some time with his hand on the ground?
Be patient this year, we're still not experienced as a unit. There will be times that we won't look good on the front 7 depending on the other team's scheme. We undoubtedly still need more experience to implement the full D. This year will be that experience builder.
But take joy in being able to watch a team be built into something special. I've watched it twice, Doug Dickey in the 60's and Majors/ Fulmer in the 90's. We will know what kind of a coach we have after this year.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Let me say upfront, i've never been a big fan of the 3-4. It's so tough to have great depth at the NT position.
Plus I remember the aggressive way Chief implemented the 4-3 in a manner that was incredibly disruptive. But we also got lucky with some good Juco players like Sean Ellis and of course, Leonard Little, who helped us become a destination for the best, fastest DE's in the country. But that was the 90's.
Today the sophisticated defenses are so freaking hybrid and, when implemented by experienced players with the necessary skill set, are so very fluid that no one knows if you're 3-4 or 4-3 at the beginning of the play. Why do you think we're hearing about Q spending some time with his hand on the ground?
Be patient this year, we're still not experienced as a unit. There will be times that we won't look good on the front 7 depending on the other team's scheme. We undoubtedly still need more experience to implement the full D. This year will be that experience builder.
But take joy in being able to watch a team be built into something special. I've watched it twice, Doug Dickey in the 60's and Majors/ Fulmer in the 90's. We will know what kind of a coach we have after this year.
I’m a 3-4 / 4-2 guy but solid post!!!

With all the talk about our DL as of late, I think it might help to provide some insight on our 3-4 scheme from a coach's perspective.

A 4-3 and 3-4 can function essentially as the same defense vs many offensive sets that are presented by a team.......However, philosophically, here are a few notes on some differences...

DE's in a 3-4= typically physically larger than a 4-3 DE because they're not always responsible for containing a rollout QB or setting the edge...sometimes they're tasked with those particular assignments, but they are also responsible for an A or B GAP on certain calls...

This is why they need to be very big, but also versatile....280-300 lbs is ideal.......the exception would be on passing downs when ideally you will recognize the DL being replaced by guys with specialized pass rushing skills..

NT= they function as a "stump".... the primary goal is to command double teams so ILBs can make tackles.....obviously, they need to be unselfish, relentless, tough, and big enough to not be moved....(think 315-335ish pounds)...

With this being said, I'm confident about our depth at DE this year. With Solomon, Butler, William's, and Middleton at DE's well be as good as anyone in the country at that position.

I don't think the same is true about NT. Gooden would have been servicable....I don't think he would have ever been great..Gooden actually reminds me alot of Kendall Vickers from a few years back.....solid and dependable, but not great....this position is extremely vital in stopping the run in our scheme...like I said, a great NT might not have alot of sacks or tackles, but a good one allows others to do just that..

..we really need a Christian Wilkins type there...the Junk Yard Dog is prototypical., but hes a baby.....I'm hoping Harris and Emerson can see this opportunity and "man up"...Savion William's, although undersized for a 3-4 NT, will regretably be forced to contribute to that position

Let me know what you think
I opine, not bad, sir, but I would count on Solomon less and Emerson more.

VN Store

Back