2nd & Goal from the 3

2nd down was the biggest play of the game. 3rd down was the dumbest play of the game. We had a better chance to stay in this game with Cimaglia’s leg than Jaret’s arm

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
Monday morning QBs....wow! Fact...we are improving. Fact, we played #9 on their turf. Fact...JG and many others were recruited by Butch to play in a different scheme. Finally, Fact....there were a lot of young Freshmen, first year starters playing Saturday. Give it a break and some time. No new coach we will afford is going to make it better than what we have at this point. I’m only hoping all the negative VN comments serves to motivate our young team to work hard and get better faster.

In the first qtr down 7-0. Chaney, after gaining 5 yds on 1st down running Chandler, decided to put Gray in and throw the ball with a QB who struggles in the red zone. Gray doesn’t get his block, his man blocks the pass on 2nd down and then JJ misses the 3rd pass for the INT.

I don’t understand turning it over to JG there. Line up at run at them 3 more plays. Use the big package with Emerson & Crouch there that you used later in the game.

I’m not saying that would have changed the outcome of a game where Tennessee continued to shoot themselves in the foot but it would have made the game more competitive. Tennessee coaching was very bad in this game just as the players were. Jmo
Coaches share the fault as well but tired of fans scapegoating them for poor player performance!

I see that some of the ones complaining that they didn't run the ball in that situation are the ones complaining that we were running the ball too much in earlier games. I think the entire coaching staff should just turn in their resignations and let the players draw up plays in the dirt and run backyard football. Maybe THAT will satisfy the posters on this site.

In the first qtr down 7-0. Chaney, after gaining 5 yds on 1st down running Chandler, decided to put Gray in and throw the ball with a QB who struggles in the red zone. Gray doesn’t get his block, his man blocks the pass on 2nd down and then JJ misses the 3rd pass for the INT.

I don’t understand turning it over to JG there. Line up at run at them 3 more plays. Use the big package with Emerson & Crouch there that you used later in the game.

I’m not saying that would have changed the outcome of a game where Tennessee continued to shoot themselves in the foot but it would have made the game more competitive. Tennessee coaching was very bad in this game just as the players were. Jmo

Jennings has to make that catch and most would say he can do it.

Him stealing two interceptions vs BYU for touchdowns sort of set the standard that he can make tough catches.

Regardless, it was awful .

If he’d pumped faked the DE, the receiver would have been out of bounds by the time the ball was delivered to him. Putting Gray in there was dumb Gray is struggling in pass pro and you put him in the game to pass pro?
he was taking 3rd team reps and Jordan was 2nd team and I was sure it was because Jordan was the better blocker but what the hell do I know. I watched Gray get trucked by a GAST rusher like he wasn't even there. Also fumbled Sat. breaking lateral on the run. As mentioned I was mildly impressed by Crouch pounding the ball. What took me off-guard was this coaching staff having that much sense to use such a play.

Guys like Galbreath, Clifton, Wells, McKenzie and the legendary Bob Johnson would agree. Hell, they'd have demanded it.
Guys like Kelly, Shuler, Manning, Martin, Clausen, wouldn’t need a coach calling the play in because they would’ve called the run in the huddle, themselves!
GBO!!

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
He got us a TD... our guy dropped it. It’s that simple.
I agree with the OP but this is correct as well. I think the safer bet would’ve been to run the ball at that point though. I think Chaney is going to have to call the game to avoid as much involvement from the QB as possible going forward.

You said it. RB missed his block. That was a well designed play. Our guy had a walk in touchdown. JG doesn’t possess the wit to pump fake. He does, he still has the touchdown.

Florida’s DL is one of the best in the SEC. Our OL is one of the worst. So, I can understand the apprehension.

In the old days at UT, we'd do exactly what you described. We'd line up with no question about what was coming. It would be 3 straight plays right behind our big ass OL. You stop us and we'll tip our caps to you. We rarely needed 3 plays.

Now we try to scheme, trick and outsmart and usually shoot ourselves in the foot. I miss the good old days of UT football.

You and me, both!!! To heck with this hurry up, motion, trickery junk we are seeing everywhere these days and these stupid 54-50 scores. Line up and execute. That's what basic football is all about.

At the three I'm running it on second down and maybe even third depending on what happens on second.

In the old days at UT, we'd do exactly what you described. We'd line up with no question about what was coming. It would be 3 straight plays right behind our big ass OL. You stop us and we'll tip our caps to you. We rarely needed 3 plays.

Now we try to scheme, trick and outsmart and usually shoot ourselves in the foot. I miss the good old days of UT football.
^This

There will not be nearly enough likes for the above statement. Absolutely spot on.

You realize that BYU and Georgia st stuffed us on 4th down... And you are saying it’s a good idea to run it at Florida 3 straight times. Smdh.

You said it. RB missed his block. That was a well designed play. Our guy had a walk in touchdown. JG doesn’t possess the wit to pump fake. He does, he still has the touchdown.

Florida’s DL is one of the best in the SEC. Our OL is one of the worst, albeit I think they did really well with pass protection this game and showed signs of improvements.

I’m extremely unhappy with JG right now, but he did his part there. The ball hit the receiver in both hands.
JG threw a 100 MPH Fastball to a receiver that was 3yds away, but the pass to DWA that would have scored didn't come close to hitting his hand B/C JG overthrew
him by 5yds and no defender within 10 yds...……………….

VN Store

Back