Drew Lock vs. Real Teams

Jnunn

Cautiously Pessimistic
So I noticed a trend last year regarding Drew Lock. This is what I pointed out in a thread back in the summer:

"Just to drill down this point a little more I looked at his numbers minus Missouri State, Idaho and UConn. So only including Mizzou's 10 "real" opponents last year, Lock threw for 2,599 yards, 26 TD's and 11 Int's on 167 comps, 315 attempts with a completion percentage of 53%... Not exactly awe-inspiring numbers. That includes four games of under 50% completion percentage and only two 300+ yard games. "

I wanted to do the same thing for this year. If you look at Lock's overall stats, they are impressive. 2647 yards, 21 td, 8 int, and a 62.5% completion percentage. All good numbers. But let's drill down and look at his stats versus Power 5 competition, so omitting the UT Martin, Wyoming and Memphis games. The numbers look like this:

144 Completions, 245 attempts, 1610 yards, 9 TD, 8 Int (!), 58.7% Completion.

Yikes. Those are even worse than his numbers against real competition in 2017. He has bounced back the last two weeks with 3 TD's against Florida and 2 TD's against Vanderbilt (but also 2 INT's), but overall this narrative that he is an amazing, stat-stuffing SEC QB is hyperinflated by Mizzou's annual pathetic non-conference scheduling. Those three non-Power 5 games, by the way, amount to 1037 of his yards and 12 (more than half) of his TD's.

For comparison's sake, I did the same thing with JG's numbers against Power 5 competition:

104 Completions, 165 attempts, 1274 yards, 9 TD, 2 Int, 63% Completion.

These numbers are with 5 common opponents played (UGA, USC, UF, Bama and UK), while our out of conference game was against a better team and defense (WVU vs. Purdue). That also doesn't take into consideration that Guarantano has played behind a much worse O Line and has spent half of his time on the field on his back.

Now I know stats are what you make them, but I wanted to do my part to dispel the Drew Lock hype. He may have all the physical tools, but he is inconsistent at best in Power 5 games. I have faith that with Pruitt leading this defense we will continue this trend for Lock..

I've made the same point before in pointing out that JG is one of the better QBs in the SEC (i.e. top 5). Drew Lock's name often gets brought up as an example of a QB that is better, but his stats against good competition are not nearly as good as people believe. Don't get me wrong; he's a good QB; but he's far from elite. Too many big mistakes. And his yardage numbers are misleading because he throws a lot more than someone like JG.

That said, Mizzou isn't going to be an easy game IMO. Their offense is much more balanced than Kentucky and they've looked better as the season has progressed. Get rid of the Kentucky loss (a game that was stolen from them by the refs) and they are 7-3 and a top 25 team. Lock may be more likely to make "big mistakes" than some other QBs, but he can also make big passes that win the game.

Funny how the numbers and eventually results always match what I say.

I said Dobbs would be a NFL qb. I was right.

JG is a much better passer with a WAY stronger arm who is more accurate and turned the ball over less.

First two or three series always tells a lot about if your game plan is working. Anyone can make plays given the time to do so. Stopping the run is a must controlling the pass should happen if the run is controlled.

Nice research and information OP. It will interesting to see the outcome Saturday. GBO!

So I noticed a trend last year regarding Drew Lock. This is what I pointed out in a thread back in the summer:

"Just to drill down this point a little more I looked at his numbers minus Missouri State, Idaho and UConn. So only including Mizzou's 10 "real" opponents last year, Lock threw for 2,599 yards, 26 TD's and 11 Int's on 167 comps, 315 attempts with a completion percentage of 53%... Not exactly awe-inspiring numbers. That includes four games of under 50% completion percentage and only two 300+ yard games. "

I wanted to do the same thing for this year. If you look at Lock's overall stats, they are impressive. 2647 yards, 21 td, 8 int, and a 62.5% completion percentage. All good numbers. But let's drill down and look at his stats versus Power 5 competition, so omitting the UT Martin, Wyoming and Memphis games. The numbers look like this:

144 Completions, 245 attempts, 1610 yards, 9 TD, 8 Int (!), 58.7% Completion.

Yikes. Those are even worse than his numbers against real competition in 2017. He has bounced back the last two weeks with 3 TD's against Florida and 2 TD's against Vanderbilt (but also 2 INT's), but overall this narrative that he is an amazing, stat-stuffing SEC QB is hyperinflated by Mizzou's annual pathetic non-conference scheduling. Those three non-Power 5 games, by the way, amount to 1037 of his yards and 12 (more than half) of his TD's.

For comparison's sake, I did the same thing with JG's numbers against Power 5 competition:

104 Completions, 165 attempts, 1274 yards, 9 TD, 2 Int, 63% Completion.

These numbers are with 5 common opponents played (UGA, USC, UF, Bama and UK), while our out of conference game was against a better team and defense (WVU vs. Purdue). That also doesn't take into consideration that Guarantano has played behind a much worse O Line and has spent half of his time on the field on his back.

Now I know stats are what you make them, but I wanted to do my part to dispel the Drew Lock hype. He may have all the physical tools, but he is inconsistent at best in Power 5 games. I have faith that with Pruitt leading this defense we will continue this trend for Lock..
But wait.....but wait......but wait....Locke is an early round nfl draft pick while JG should be immediately benched because he can’t read a defense, holds the ball too long and locks in on his receivers.

He reminds me of Casey Clausen a little. I always felt comfortable when Clausen dropped back because he made smart decisions. He was also really tough like JG. I wonder what JG could do with a solid O-line?
Hopefully we find out next year. Meanwhile, behind arguably the worst OL in college football, he’s been very efficient and productive this year.

VN Store

Back